Brazilian portuguese translation

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
HolyDragoon
Trained
Trained

Re: Brazilian portuguese translation

Post by HolyDragoon »

I'm willing to help with the PT_PT version.

Kudos for Tucalipe for doing it before I even thought about it :D

EDIT: Is there any place where i can see translation standards, etc?

Also, Tucalipe, if you have any specific advice on translation, i'd like to know it, ok? ;)
"Relativity applies to Physics, not Ethics." - Albert Einstein
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

Great. AFAIK, the only modifications that will be necessary are vocabulary related. For the name order for the units, check PT_BR.po in the trunk.

BTW, are you portuguese? Porque meu tio é descendente de português. Assim como meu professor de literatura :)

Você pode começar dando uma olhada no http://svn.gna.org/svn/warzone/branches/2.1/po/pt_br.po* como base. Baixe também o http://svn.gna.org/svn/warzone/branches/2.1/po/pt.po.

* => Baixe a versão que eu enviei no dia 31 de Maio. É a mais atualizada que há até agora para PT_BR.

I don't know if that's possible (hence, correct me if I'm wrong), but I think you can open pt_br.po, change only the necessary strings and then simply save as pt.po and upload to the devs.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Tucalipe wrote:I don't know if that's possible (hence, correct me if I'm wrong), but I think you can open pt_br.po, change only the necessary strings and then simply save as pt.po and upload to the devs.
Yes. But you should also edit the header information, i.e. Language-Team, X-Poedit-Language, Last-Translator, etc.
HolyDragoon
Trained
Trained

Post by HolyDragoon »

I'm working on a older document, translating the text, but i took a peek on the PT_BR translation to check out some terms that you used there. Yes, I'm Portuguese. :D
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

As DevUrandom said, I think it's easier to get the *.po I uploaded and simply change the necessary strings, for that is the most updated version there is. That is, unless you're halfway to the completion.
HolyDragoon
Trained
Trained

Post by HolyDragoon »

Well, the translation is running fine, at least as fine as college work allows me... I opoted for some more "litteral" translations of the ranks, and the menus are almost fully translated...
HolyDragoon
Trained
Trained

Post by HolyDragoon »

!-bump-!

Well, been here, done that, multiplayer menus (i think) are now translated. I had to get creative on some parts, but i'm beginning the campaign script.

BTW, the PT_BR and the PT_PT translations will have different names for the scavengers. Looking to their way of combat, and their weaponry, i'd say the scavengers are something like a guerilla group, getting junk to build their vehicles. the term scavenger in portuguese is the same (AFAIK) as necrophage (is this how you write it?), so i called the scavs "Guerrilheiros".

So... check out the translation so far, i'm starting to translate the story dialogs. There's still much work to be done, but college has my hands tied... for now.
Attachments

[The extension po has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

HolyDragoon wrote:!-bump-!

Well, been here, done that, multiplayer menus (i think) are now translated. I had to get creative on some parts, but i'm beginning the campaign script.

BTW, the PT_BR and the PT_PT translations will have different names for the scavengers. Looking to their way of combat, and their weaponry, i'd say the scavengers are something like a guerilla group, getting junk to build their vehicles. the term scavenger in portuguese is the same (AFAIK) as necrophage (is this how you write it?), so i called the scavs "Guerrilheiros".

So... check out the translation so far, i'm starting to translate the story dialogs. There's still much work to be done, but college has my hands tied... for now.
Looking good. About the Gerrilheiros, I agree with you but, in my opinion they look more like people that go to a place, scavenge (busca até não ter mais) and thenmove on, like the nomad caravan on Resident Evil 3. That's why I called them "varredores" or sweepers, in english.

Also, try to translate EVERYTHING to portuguese, like "O criador do server deixou o jogo!" should be "O criador do servidor deixou o jogo!". When you finish,let me give it a look. OK?

Finally, go to "Catálogo -> Configurações" and change "Tabela de Caracteres" e "Conjunto de caracteres do código fonte" to UTF-8, instead of ASCII.

BTW, it IS necrophage, but scavenger in portuguese could be "urubu", those that eat dead flesh. ;)

PS.: Updated version of PT_BR.po
Attachments

[The extension po has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by Tucalipe on 28 Jun 2008, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
HolyDragoon
Trained
Trained

Post by HolyDragoon »

Yeah, urubu, abutre... scavenger is one of those terms that cannot be translated into portuguese...

To be honest, my first idea was to call them "colectores", since they get their resources by collecting them from debris, but that would cause confusion with the Collective...

My biggest concern is about the weapons' names. Some of the weapons have their own names, so i'm not sure if i'll translate those names literally. I mean "lanceiro?" i don't think it sonds good...
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

Collective is correctly translated as "Coletividade" or "Colectividade".
All the bodies' names can be fully translated, AFAIK, as well the porpulsion. (Half Tracks are what we call Híbridos. I don't know if there is something like that in Portugal. But it should be as close as the Battlefield 1942's APCs are called in portuguese)
As for the weapons' names, I've translated them as close as possible to the actual meaning withouth breaking any grammar/vocabulary rules. But, if I'm not mistaken there were two or three that I had to keep the original name.

Some of the difficult ones, I even researched a little to see if there was a correct translation. Some are:
Needle Gun = Perfuratriz/Perfurador
Railgun = Acelerador de Partículas
Thermite = Termite (AlO2 + Fe), that's correct.

Most of the acronyms can also be translated:
SAM = MTA (Mísseis Terra-Ar)
EMP = PEM (Pulso Eletro-Magnéctico)
LZ = AP (Área de Pouso)
HQ = QG

However, devurandom asked that VTOL should not be translated. I translated them once (at research) and stated that PDV (Pouso e Decolagem Vertical) were going to be referred to as VTOL. As well NASDA, which wouldn't make sense to translate.

I personally called Wheels = 4x4 (It saves spaces :)) Half-Tracks = Híbridos; Tracks = Tanques; VTOL = VTOL; and Hover = Hovercraft, as we don't have translation for that. (We don't even have those in Brasil! xD)

Please note that the AA Sites' names were NOT translated. As well Howitzer and Hellstorm (Ground-Shaker can be literally translated). Check my translation for other weapons' names that weren't translated.

BTW, did you remember to change the CharSet? Otherwise, you'll have to do everythign again :(

PS.: Lancer can be called "Lançadeira". It does exist! xD
HolyDragoon
Trained
Trained

Post by HolyDragoon »

Yeah, I know "Lanceiro" exists, but it sounds kind of stupid like "Olha para os tanques lanceiros!" (translation "Hey, look at the Lancer Tanks")

People will think they throw spears instead of missiles :D

The charset... you mean the encoding?

We don't have half-tracks either... but it would be fun if I called the Wheels "Chaimites". XD Just joking. We translate tracks as "lagartas" here, so i'll go for lagartas

BTW, 'acelerador de partículas' would be something like a particle laser... Rail gun... more like... 'Canhão Cinético-Magnético?' It describes the function of the cannon as an magnetically launched kinetic energy anti-tank (i think) cannon.

The missiles could be also translated as MAA (Mísseis Anti-Aéreos), to look like AAA (Artilharia Anti-Aérea)

About the needle gun... Ah gosh, that's the hardest one.
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

As for the "lanceiro" thing, "Lancer" in english also means spearman, so i think the same ambiguosity (does that word exists xD?) can also exist in portuguese.
Yep. We used to call the tanks' tracks "lagartas" here, so i think it's good to go.
As for the MTA/MAA, both the translations are good to go.
But as for the "Canhão Cinético-Magnético", I think the name is (just) a bit too big, but...

Canhão Cinético-Magnético Lagarta Píton - Danos 4% - Veterano

Reading it written looks small enough in-game though ;) . Keep it going!

As for the charset, yes. You're probably working in ASCII, but WZ and it's *.mo files works with utf-8 now, so they include accents now.

TO DevUrandom: Is it OK if HolyDragoon and I speak portuguese here? It would be much easier to discuss the translations. Also, I don't know how many translators are there, but how about creating a forum rank/group "Translator"? :rolleyes:
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Tucalipe wrote:TO DevUrandom: Is it OK if HolyDragoon and I speak portuguese here? It would be much easier to discuss the translations. Also, I don't know how many translators are there, but how about creating a forum rank/group "Translator"? :rolleyes:
Permission granted.
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

To DevUrandom:
Are there new versions for translation?

To HolyDragoon:
Como está indo a tradução? 15% já?
HolyDragoon
Trained
Trained

Post by HolyDragoon »

Vai seguindo, ultimamente tenho estado um pouco ocupado, por isso não tenho prestado tanta atenção como queria... Eu diria a caminhar para os 30%, se bem que depois de passar as frases da campanha torna-se tudo muito mais fácil.

In english, for every reader that's interested:

It's going, lately i've been a little busy, so i didn't spend as much attention as i wanted... I'd say it's walking to the 30%, although after i finish translating the campaign sentences things become a lot easier.

Uh... Argle Bargle? WTH is that line for?