Menu background revived

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Menu background revived

Post by Hatsjoe »

I ve found myself some more time to work on the menu backgrounds and i ve come up with this.
I don't really like the whole picture. It looks kinda like stuff thrown together. I m gonna need some advice on this one.
And to make matters worse, i m using a very dark display at the moment so if the picture is over bright, plz let me know.
Also, Is there a hi res version of the arizona skyboxtexture available somewhere ?  that might make it more coherent.
Don't hold back plz :)
Attachments
F1 fac.png
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: Menu background revived

Post by DevUrandom »

Highres: http://svn.gna.org/svn/warzone/trunk/da ... 25-sky.png *me ducks away under the rotten eggs*

If you can make one, we'd probably also be glad to include it into the game. :)
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

New version. Gave it a more true, dirty look. A bit to much on the piping maybe ?
Im happy with the mountains in the back now! Do you want a 1024*1024 for ingame use ?
Attachments
F1 Factory final.png
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Looks nice.

Is there any chance you can do some VTOLs attacking something?
and it ends here.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Hehe, now that would be a challenge :D
I'm first going to finish recreating the original backdrops (done 3 out of 6 already), afterwards i might add some original work.
This one needs some more tweaking first!
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

I have some random thoughts on this image:
- Pipe control wheels are in my opinion too red. Think they should look a lot more rusty.
- The factory is rather blocky. Maybe you could add some kind of details too it.
- The size relation between pipes and the building seems a bit off. (Pipes too big?)
- There is something on the left bottom side. I don't know what it is... Barbwire maybe?

About 1kx1k image: Cathuria lately gave me 1600x1200 versions of his images, which I then could scale down to 1kx1k. I think it worked pretty well. If you don't see technical issues with that (i.e. quality loss), I think this way you could please both the devs (they can create a texture) and the users (who get a high-res wallpaper). :)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

DevUrandom wrote:
- There is something on the left bottom side. I don't know what it is... Barbwire maybe?
that is the expanded metal mesh... used for non slip surfaces and other things.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

Also, the base of the building looks like it is floating on the terrain. TRy making the F1 on the building look like the one near the pipes, 3d i mean. The new pipe texture is excellent, you should find a better one for the building though. The rest seems fine
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

DevUrandom wrote: - There is something on the left bottom side. I don't know what it is... Barbwire maybe?
lav_coyote25 wrote: that is the expanded metal mesh... used for non slip surfaces and other things.
-Both wrong :)
It were supposed to be the reamins of a chainlink fence. At first, I was planning to add a lot of debree and remains of before the collapse but then I thought: if someone is going to build a factory somewhere, they re going to make sure the build site is clean. So i shouldve removed the chainlink fence!
-About the red wheels, I agree. will soon be fixed.
-The size of the pipes is comparable to the size in the original backdrop. I kinda like it that way. I do not plan on changing this unless more people find them to big. So plz let me know.
-blocky factory: Agreed, will see what i can do.

Thx for the feedback.  :)
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

doom3r wrote: Also, the base of the building looks like it is floating on the terrain.
Thats because of the lack of clear shadows at the base. I will try to add some sort of pedestal so it looks to be firmly on the ground.
doom3r wrote: TRy making the F1 on the building look like the one near the pipes, 3d i mean.
At first I didn't like the idea, but looking at it again, the 3D "F1" does look pretty nice and adds some detail. will change that to.
doom3r wrote: The new pipe texture is excellent, you should find a better one for the building though. The rest seems fine
It looks kinda flat but when I add more detail to the building itself, the textures will stand out more. I m hoping for a good result here.

Thanks to all the comments, I'm starting to see what it should look when finished. Thx everydody
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

as for a picture: model - nice  =) but if to add more shadows & more Fog it will be nicer =)
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

For me this could be the final version:

-Changed some materials to look more realistic.
-Added detail to the factory.
-added some light and volumetric smoke effects.
-some small other tweaks.
Attachments
F1_3.png
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

Try extending the basement around the structure, to make it more realistic and not placed as is on the ground. The rest is really OK this time
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

what do you mean by extending? higher or wider ?
And why do you think it would be more realistic that way ?
I don't really understand  ;)
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

I mean, like I said before, make the basement look like it is part of the terraint, not a detached structure. By extending I mean, try not giving it a square shape but a more random one, and to make it even more realistic,you could add some dust over it.