Steam direct and jammer tower in structure limits

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
nulldev
Greenhorn

Steam direct and jammer tower in structure limits

Post by nulldev »

I was thinking of running Warzone 2100 through the Steam direct process (to get it posted on Steam) now that Steam greenlight is gone. I am able to subsidize the initial $100 fee if necessary. I'm not a C++ expert but I think I will also be able handle integration with the Steam libraries. Is anybody opposed to this?

On another note, the Jammer tower can be annoying sometimes and I've heard of many other players complaining about this also. I am planning on making a pull request to add the Jammer tower to the structure limits screen. I'm just posting beforehand to make sure that it's not off the table and that it won't get closed immediately or something.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Steam direct and jammer tower in structure limits

Post by pastdue »

Re: Steam - Please don't. See: https://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php ... 92#p135415
Most everything in that post still applies (although some progress has been made, and it's continuing to be worked on).

A few additional points:
1. Money is not an issue, and it'd be much better (once the other issues that make it not-yet-ready for Steam are resolved) for the Warzone 2100 Project to interact with Steam directly. We can make this part of the distribution pipeline so releases are synced between the website (direct download) and Steam. For this reason alone: I'd strongly encourage you not to try to submit to Steam yourself.
2. Warzone itself cannot be directly integrated with the Steam libraries, as Warzone is GPLv2+. (See the SteamWorks SDK license, as well as the FAQs on the Steam site - plus other projects that have had this issue.) This does not preclude putting the game on Steam - but it does preclude directly linking Warzone's executable with the (optional) Steam libraries / SteamWorks framework.

EDIT:
On the matter of a pull request to add the Jammer tower to the structure limits screen, that makes a lot of sense to me. (Not sure if that also means we need another UI adjustment to the game lobby screen so we can show the limit to joining players.)
Last edited by pastdue on 15 Jun 2018, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
nulldev
Greenhorn

Re: Steam direct and jammer tower in structure limits

Post by nulldev »

Alright, thanks for the advice. I've actually seen that thread already but there weren't any updates on it for quite sometime so I thought I'd try bringing it up again.

I'll get to work on that P.R. and I'll see if I can whip up some icon for the jammer tower in the lobby screen.