Informing about unconnected oil derricks

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Informing about unconnected oil derricks

Post by Forgon »

On maps with many oil derricks it is difficult to assess whether enough power generators have been built.

A player must count oil derricks and power generators to check whether enough of the latter exist. After losing a power generator when the number of oil derricks is not divisible by 4, a player may also have to cycle through power generators to find out how much power capacity has been lost (unless he has a good memory).

I propose to instead inform a player directly about both oil derrick quantity and power generator capacity. This information should be easy to access without being too intrusive. You can help me to find a good solution.

There are 4 locations where such information could be displayed, as shown in the picture below:
  • 0: info messages could inform about a shortage of power generators, but are my least preferred option: They are short-lived and already notify about many other events, such as unit losses.
  • 1: console messages could print the information when clicking on a power generator, or, alternatively, the HQ.
  • 2: the status area could print an updated count of both oil derricks and power generator capacity.
  • 3: the power bar might be enhanced, e.g. by printing red barrels following yellow barrels to indicate how much power potential is wasted.
screenshot highlighting possible locations for oil derrick status information
screenshot highlighting possible locations for oil derrick status information
oil_derrick_information_locations.png (308.73 KiB) Viewed 3625 times
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Informing about unconnected oil derricks

Post by Per »

I like option 4 (number 3 in image).
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

Per wrote:I like option 4 (number 3 in image).
Me too
Prot
Trained
Trained

Post by Prot »

Last option sounds good
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

option 3, as that is what you are thinking about when you are looking at oil. I usually count by power gens.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

Note: This was done within the power bar.