French videos licensing

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Ancestral
Greenhorn

French videos licensing

Post by Ancestral »

Hello,

I searched for french videos for play with them. After search, I rapidly see that licensing doubts is the cause of theirs unavailability.
So I searched for information on Warzone 2100 french PC version and found the following :

Main Box (Front, Back):
© Pumkin Studio 1999, © & Published by Eidos Interactive Limited 1999. All rights reserved.

CD box (Front, Back):
© Pumkin Studio 1999, © & Published by Eidos Interactive Limited 1999. All rights reserved.

CD (1, 2):

Manual pages 65 to 68 (Full scan Download [Click on Le manuel de Warzone 2100 (7376 Ko)]):
Credits: Pumpkin studio and Eidos teams. Non third parties thanks for FMV.
Technical help: Eidos France
CLUF: Eidos Interactive LTD

Ads (Gen4 120, Gen4 122):
© Pumkin Studio 1998, © & Published by Eidos Interactive 1998. All rights reserved.

Readme on CD: No special information on Copyright.

Conclusion:
French version rights are property of Eidos Interactive LTD. Videos are licenced by Eidos Interactive LTD.

I have the originals CDs at disposition, so I can upload and convert videos (Or any other file) if needed.
Last edited by Ancestral on 06 Feb 2016, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Re: French videos licensing

Post by vexed »

That seems to be about the same as the German vids, and since we host those, I don't think there will be an issue if you convert those, and we can host them.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Ancestral
Greenhorn

Post by Ancestral »

I can convert those. :)

And also a suggestion: Split sound from videos.
If the video are the same across languages versions and only the sound change (I need to check this affirmation). The idea is to have language independent video track synchronised with a language dependant sound track.

And, because not all videos contain localized sound, play them with the following behaviour :
When playing a video, if a "currently selected language" audio track is found for it, play this sound track. Else, play the English sound track.

Pros:
- Possibility to use remastered videos with all language : High and low quality available not only with English videos.
- Lightweight videos storage.
- Better multi-language support.

Cons:
- Need to code something for support this (And I have no idea of the quantity of work needed, MKV formats or others can eventually help).
- Need to split actual videos in video tracks/sound tracks (But I can eventually help for this).
Last edited by Ancestral on 01 Feb 2016, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

@vexed

what about russian FMV ? http://warzone2100.org.ua/pfsonsite/dow ... oad_id=121

can you add them. It was converted from rus. version not really long time ago. Couldn't find any info in google, but I think its all warzone-like licensing stuff. And all that rus distributors from that time are long gone. it won't be a problem.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Ancestral
Greenhorn

Post by Ancestral »

French videos converted ! Very thanks for hosting them :)

I used this tool on Windows: Video to Theora (Frontend for ffmpeg2theora)
It's easy to use and perform direct conversion between .RPL and .OGG. Options used :
  • Video Quality: 10
  • Audio Quality: 10
Videos tested in game on Windows 10 64bits configuration : Worked perfectly.

And, for what I say before on the idea of splitting audio from videos: I checked, and, there is absolutely no difference on French and English Videos at screen. The only difference is audio.
Last edited by Ancestral on 07 Feb 2016, 00:01, edited 2 times in total.
Ancestral
Greenhorn

Post by Ancestral »

Re-uploaded French FMV because the game is case sensitive, and some videos wasn't played (File and folders names need to be lowercased, not like in original).

FMV play goodly in game, but theses French version seem to be less smooth than English ones. But I don't understand why. Any idea ?
Last edited by Ancestral on 06 Feb 2016, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Ancestral
Greenhorn

Post by Ancestral »

Hello,

I also found some french sequence audio that can also be added with videos. Is it possible to add them to the same .wz archive or should I create a mod for this ?
Last edited by Ancestral on 06 Feb 2016, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Terminator wrote:@vexed

what about russian FMV ? http://warzone2100.org.ua/pfsonsite/dow ... oad_id=121

can you add them. It was converted from rus. version not really long time ago. Couldn't find any info in google, but I think its all warzone-like licensing stuff. And all that rus distributors from that time are long gone. it won't be a problem.
As long as you can get info like Ancestral did, it shouldn't be a problem.

They all need the same readme & license as the English & Germans do though.
(That would mean, it needs to be written in English, then, below that, translate it to whatever.)
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Ancestral wrote:French videos converted : Temporary download here. Very thanks for hosting them :)

I used this tool on Windows: Video to Theora (Frontend for ffmpeg2theora)
It's easy to use and perform direct conversion between .RPL and .OGG. Options used :
  • Video Quality: 10
  • Audio Quality: 10
Videos tested in game on Windows 10 64bits configuration : Worked perfectly.

And, for what I say before on the idea of splitting audio from videos: I checked, and, there is absolutely no difference on French and English Videos at screen. The only difference is audio.
Never tried that program, I think we have the converter that we used on Berlios repo, and I think it dumped it into raw AVI files, then encoded again.
This sounds easier.

It needs to have the proper license & readme files as well.

Will try to get them sometime before the end of the week, so, if you can add those files, that would be great.

Oh, and we can't use mkv or another container since our code only supports theora/ogg right now.

For the extra files, it would mean you would need to make a mod.

Oh, and sorry for the delay, I tend to get too busy these days, so you may have to wait a few days or so for a response.
Ancestral
Greenhorn

Post by Ancestral »

Hello,

For the french videos and sounds:

Links to :
  • French videos & sounds: download here
  • French videos: sequence.wz
  • French sounds: sounds.wz
Edit : FMV only "sequence.wz" + sound only "sounds.wz" removed and combined in a common "sequence.wz".

Readme with license is included (base on readme from English sequence.wz)
For sounds, I actually made it as a mod.

I tested all of this in game and this work properly.

For the suggestion to split sound form videos and improve sound/FMV localization support :

I say MKV because I know this format can store multiple language sound tracks in a same file and sync them properly with the video track.
But, this can very probably, be done with a sound OGG file synchronized to a the English FMV OGG file.

Also, maybe, add localization support for OGG sounds files, in this case, this only need to be played in place of the English one.
A think to this because, for French sounds, I needed to made it as a mod. But mods can't be freely used in multiplayer with people who don't use the sames.

All of this need to add a .wz in the "locale" folder with inside "audio", "sequenceaudio" and "sequences" trees of localized .OGG sound files.
Last edited by Ancestral on 10 Feb 2016, 22:06, edited 11 times in total.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

For the German sounds/videos, I put the sounds into sequences.wz and that worked (and doesn't count as a mod).
We want information... information... information.
Ancestral
Greenhorn

Post by Ancestral »

I tried but that didn't worked for me. My folder tree was false, your are true, that work good ! Thanks for the tip !
Download link edited in previous post.

Maybe also add your german sounds in the german sequence.wz available here ?
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Ancestral wrote:I tried but that didn't worked for me. My folder tree was false, your are true, that work good ! Thanks for the tip !
Download link edited in previous post.

Maybe also add your german sounds in the german sequence.wz available here ?
Tried to get them via server, and failed.
That file host isn't that great, in fact, it chokes on wget.

Can you please use dropbox, or something along those lines, and provide us with a SHA-1 hash, and some contact info as well? (You can PM the staff account for contact info).

Thanks.
Ancestral
Greenhorn

Post by Ancestral »

File re-uploaded on Dosbox server, the link was updated on previous post .

The SHA1 hash: 129A1E82D5D3A7E1DEF76BE07E1E21DB05E8A039

Contact info sended by PM.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Thanks, though, it seems to be missing the COPYING, &the license file, and the readme.txt should be in the root directory. (which means you need to pack it in a 7zip archive or whatever, so we can add stuff, then, it will be put like the others on SF site.)
ie,:
sequence.wz
readme.txt
COPYING
... and so on.
Right now, it is on our server, and I'll fix it sometime before this weekend, unless you want to fix it.
Something like that is here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/warzone ... uality-de/
(though, that is missing COPYING as well? :hmm: )