Attempt a 3.1.3 release before end of the year? (splitting)

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Re: Shooting for a 3.1.3 release before the end of the year

Post by vexed »

Berg wrote:
vexed wrote:By that I mean, it would slow the game down to unplayable levels.
I think it would be worth slowing the testing game to add the debugging and find the desync rather then sit in a corner and wonder why for the next 12 month when the issue is found remove the debug that will slow the game and make a stable with fixes.

Thats the idea of testing I dont mind testing.
It isn't as simple as that, we need data from every frame, then how that data got changed.
That means, you need to run a debugger for each client, then when a breakpoint is hit, write that info down, and follow the control path to see where it goes wrong.
Since clients average 60hz (Vsync ON), then, you would be doing that 60 times per sec.
Since we don't know where in the code it screws up, it could be Qt, or whatever else, so now, you just have a huge trace to find what needs to be found.
Doing that would take hours, to step through everything and you are NOT even playing, since the breakpoint gets hit every frame.
If anyone wants to do that... go for it!
(Yes, I know you can set a data breakpoint, but again, we don't know where we are running into problems... (it could be a different control path each frame, and the damage may have been done the previous frame) it is a very long, tedious problem to find)
/facepalm ...Grinch stole WarzoneπŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

New builds are up.
They fix the desync issue with scavs that Berg found.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole WarzoneπŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

vexed wrote:No comments yet?
Guess people are just as busy as us... and since without feedback, it is difficult to do another release.
i am back again. Just in time to test :) :)
But before i start to test...it would be nice to see the languages. You forgot to copy the old locales-so i see the folder but they dont work. The old german language pack works for this version.
Oooh-i see in the config, that there is a framecounter. No place to select this option in the menu? I changed it for me to 1. Its an usefull tool. A framelimiter would be nice- to prevent stuttering on large MP maps with many players. Thats my first impression. Now i am going to play and test.

Bye
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

montetank wrote: But before i start to test...it would be nice to see the languages. You forgot to copy the old locales-so i see the folder but they dont work. The old german language pack works for this version.
Oooh-i see in the config, that there is a framecounter. No place to select this option in the menu? I changed it for me to 1. Its an usefull tool. A framelimiter would be nice- to prevent stuttering on large MP maps with many players. Thats my first impression. Now i am going to play and test.
Hmm, what do you mean I forgot to copy the locales?
They are there?
The FPS is pretty meaningless IMO, it was only a debug feature, not meant to be shown all the time, but, you can enable it by typing 'showfps' if you want.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

"It isn't as simple as that, we need data from every frame, then how that data got changed."
"Since clients average 60hz (Vsync ON), then, you would be doing that 60 times per sec.
Since we don't know where in the code it screws up, it could be Qt, or whatever else, so now, you just have a huge trace to find what needs to be found."

so part of the debug process to find some desync issues then it would be useful reducing the amount of frames to a very low value, to make this easier as you will have much less to traverse in finding the root cause. i.e. you set 1fps or 5, 10fps so with that you get a huge reduction there alone.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

You still wouldn't be able to get the data until you could repeat the condition(s).
So, for arguments sake, even if you could force the game to 1fps, it wouldn't accomplish much, there are lots of things that take up more than than that...

Splitting this off to another thread, getting too far away form the main subject at hand, which is testing. :)
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Attempt a 3.1.3 release before end of the year? (splitting)

Post by vexed »

Just splitting posts here... instead of clogging up the main thread.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Also note, if there is any glaring balance issues (for MP), please speak up NOW!
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=12160 person basing maths and facts to derive to conclusion about balance, not opinions and a few people are in agreement and some with mixed views but way to fix this we have a few propositions.. "can be solved by adding some sort of twin-hmg; (2) too much overall power for timing, which can be solved by further nerfing, " so add something in place and nerf the AG. Seems viable?
kaikiai
Greenhorn

Post by kaikiai »

I could try to make a Mac Build for you if you want.
I have Xcode on my Macbook Pro here.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

kaikiai wrote:I could try to make a Mac Build for you if you want.
I have Xcode on my Macbook Pro here.
That would be great! :3
You can use the tarball listed above or the repo https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100.git to try and make the build.
crab_
Trained
Trained

Post by crab_ »

vexed wrote:Also note, if there is any glaring balance issues (for MP), please speak up NOW!
People play "high oil" only. That kind of games have some balance issues so people play balance modded maps e.g. "NotArtyNTW"
But that high-oil games is not supported oficially.
Warzone2100 Guide - http://betaguide.wz2100.net/
kaikiai
Greenhorn

Post by kaikiai »

There are problems while compiling,
when using the git master it fails because of this:

Code: Select all

clang: error: no such file or directory: '/***/warzone2100/lib/gamelib/animobj.cpp'
clang: error: no input files
** BUILD FAILED **

when I use the Tarball it fails because of this:

clang: error: no such file or directory: '/***/warzone2100-3.1git/tests/qslint.cpp'
** BUILD FAILED **

If I take the qslint.cpp out of the master and put it in the tarbal folder, then this happens:

/***/warzone2100-3.1git/macosx/external/QT/QtCore.framework/Headers/qlist.h:218:22: error: 
      reference to 'random_access_iterator_tag' is ambiguous
Do you know these errors?

Also if I copy the missing file into the tarball or if I use 3.1 Branch for compiling,

I get this Error:

/***/warzone2100/macosx/external/QT/QtCore.framework/Headers/qlist.h:171:22: error: 
        typedef std::random_access_iterator_tag  iterator_category;
Last edited by vexed on 18 Dec 2015, 03:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merge posts & add code tags.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

crab_ wrote:
vexed wrote:Also note, if there is any glaring balance issues (for MP), please speak up NOW!
People play "high oil" only. That kind of games have some balance issues so people play balance modded maps e.g. "NotArtyNTW"
But that high-oil games is not supported oficially.
So very true.

We also have the extremes, low oil balance vs high oil balance vs 'normal' levels of oil.

This is why I need lots of people to speak up about games played on the maps that WZ has, not any map that isn't included.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

kaikiai wrote:There are problems while compiling,
when using the git master it fails because of this:

clang: error: no such file or directory: '/***/warzone2100/lib/gamelib/animobj.cpp'
** BUILD FAILED **

when I use the Tarball it fails because of this:

clang: error: no such file or directory: '/***/warzone2100-3.1git/tests/qslint.cpp'
** BUILD FAILED **

If I take the qslint.cpp out of the master and put it in the tarbal folder, then this happens:

/***/warzone2100-3.1git/macosx/external/QT/QtCore.framework/Headers/qlist.h:218:22: error: 
Do you know these errors?

Also if I copy the missing file into the tarball or if I use 3.1 Branch for compiling,

I get this Error:

/***/warzone2100/macosx/external/QT/QtCore.framework/Headers/qlist.h:171:22: error: 
        typedef std::random_access_iterator_tag  iterator_category;
Hmm, for 3.x, we are using Qt 4.x, not the newer Qt 5.x.
That might explain some of those errors.

You might be able to checkout the 3.1.2 tag, and see if that compiles OK for you or not (https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/tree/3.1.2) since that is what the last guy who did compiles did. I don't recall if we merged his changes into 3.1 or not.
Thanks again for trying!