Petition to reinstate Guard, Persue and Hold orders!

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.

Should the Guard Position & Pursue Orders be brought back?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 79

ThinkSome
Trained
Trained

Re: Petition to reinstate Guard, Persue and Hold orders!

Post by ThinkSome »

My blobs of 15-20 repair tanks keep drifting towards enemy: after the front one gets hurt, the ones at the back start pushing forward to repair it, resulting in the whole column drifting more and more into harms way and their eventual demise. (3.3.0+ - git campaign)
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

I tried piecing these secondary states back together. Changes and improvements from years past don't appear to be a big factor in putting all this back in (looking at file commit histories). The results seem to "just work" as one would
expect before. The best part is, assuming nobody bothers changing from the default "guard" state, then
all the previous action/order code logic is unchanged (as it is in 3.3.0 beta1 / master) as far as I know.

I would ask people to seriously test/review this patch and the states with as many tactics and different type of units as possible. Still working on that bug where sensors keep observing objects that got out of visibility range if on secondary hold.

NOTE:
This patch isn't an exact restoration of what was removed years ago since a few lines in action/order.cpp
caused unintended side-effects/bugs (as I was reviewing it anyway) that now should not happen anymore in the default state.

Edit:The keys for pursue, p, and guard, g, might not work unless you delete and let Warzone recreate the keymap.json file.
Edit2: Fixed sensors moving on secondary hold.

*removed older patch*
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

It should never have been removed.
Quenton
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Quenton »

Berserk Cyborg wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 23:05 I tried piecing these secondary states back together. Changes and improvements from years past don't appear to be a big factor in putting all this back in (looking at file commit histories). The results seem to "just work" as one would
expect before. The best part is, assuming nobody bothers changing from the default "guard" state, then
all the previous action/order code logic is unchanged (as it is in 3.3.0 beta1 / master) as far as I know.

I would ask people to seriously test/review this patch and the states with as many tactics and different type of units as possible.

NOTE:
This patch isn't an exact restoration of what was removed years ago since a few lines in action/order.cpp
caused unintended side-effects/bugs (as I was reviewing it anyway) that now should not happen anymore in the default state.

Edit:
The keys for pursue, p, and guard, g, might not work unless you delete and let Warzone recreate the keymap.json file.

secOrderRestore.patch
this make me happy! :3 :D :3
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Next iteration of patch. After some experiments yesterday I came to the conclusion that the default guard order (and secondary guard state) are useless. They act more like a pursue behavior would. I think I got it pinned down to units being ordered into DORDER_ATTACK if they have no target and are doing nothing. This, for example, made a guarding hyper-velocity cannon unit chase VTOLs all over a map. Now, with the third patch, they only move a few tile and return back to where they were guarding at.

I need help testing this as there are so many possibilities for something unexpected to happen. If all appears to be working, I'll open a pull request with these patches.

*removed older patch*
Link to my github branch.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

secOrders.zip

Think this covers everything for the secondary pursue, guard, and hold orders. The fifth patch
may just be me imagining a bug, but if it don't harm anything then we should keep it.

Changes from last patch-set:
1. Allow setting the pursue, guard, and hold secondary orders from the factory menus.
2. Fix pursue resetting if a unit was ordered to move and its end destination still had the original target close to it.
3. More cases to show the sensor/commander targeting icon over enemy stuff.

Berg asked me about restoring the unit menu weapon range functionality. I'll check out what needs to be done about it.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

@Berserk Cyborg: if you open a PR for this in the main repo, it should automatically build Windows builds that people can download and test.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

pastdue wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 19:24 @Berserk Cyborg: if you open a PR for this in the main repo, it should automatically build Windows builds that people can download and test.
Right, forgot that can be done now. See https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/pull/263
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

For those wishing to test this patch, please use the following (development) builds:
WZ2100ModsFAn
Trained
Trained

Post by WZ2100ModsFAn »

Already tested it and does include exact changes.
The move orders have even returned to the factory too that's good news. :)
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

Just a reminder that the more feedback and testing we get on the above builds, the more likely that secondary unit orders will make it back for the next beta / 3.3.0 final. :lecture:

So if you want this feature returned, please test the above builds / patch and post your feedback - even if it's just that "it works"! 8)
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

I tried out this patch and I thank the above devs for there efforts
IF it is in the 3.3.0-beta2 then it will be tried in multi-player
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Well warriors Im sure you will all thank the devs for replacing unit orders I understand it is in master now ready for the next Beta release.

I had a pre emptive strike on that the Code is up for revue but it wont be long
Again thank you to the Devs

Ps: do note that the reticule buttons are now restored to there right place in the menu and the hit area for each button has been fixed this is a long time bug that is now gone.
Tanks Pastdue
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

At the moment I don't have much time for testing but a first short test shows that the hold order seems to be working. Maybe I find some time at the weekend to have a deeper look at it and the other secondary orders.

Thank you very much for reimplementing this. :D :good: :thank_you:
Neovita
New user

Post by Neovita »

@Berserk Cyborg Thanks a lot for spending the time, doing the great work and trying to make the game as great, as it used to be in the past!

I for myself found some time for a couple of extended tests. After a period of roughly 2 hours of testing almost everything seems to work great, except one thing: Every time you switch the state of a secondary command using interface buttons (e.g from Persure to Guard or from Hold to Guard) the ongoing executed order like "attack that guy over there" or "move there" or even a queue of movement orders (using shift) is getting cancelled and the units execute the "Stop" command once. So in fact the the player have to give new orders to his units. Except of that i were not able to see anything not working like expected =)

Hope we all can see the changes added to the Beta2 :)

P.S.: Since we are on topic of removed features of the game, i am working myself trough the changelogs and the source code at the moment and not able to understand one thing: Why the heck the short/optimal/longrange settings got removed along with the secondary orders back in Version 3.2.0 beta1. Can it be, that someone was just a bit angry at the working features of the game back then? o_0 (It is already late, i had a long day at work and am pretty tired, might be the cause for me not seeing any problems in the old code there, so please don't judge me to hard yet)

2016-05-07: Version 3.2.0 beta1
* Remove: The optimal/short/long range GUI elements have been removed (commit:244c8ec1418d21484499d9a1f79f7afeb9330b86)
* Remove: Remove the distinction between short and long range for accuracy purposes (commit:30e0f8e65c475c094ac6032d523c94af38f2522c)
https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... feb9330b86
https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... af38f2522c