Petition to reinstate Guard, Persue and Hold orders!

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.

Should the Guard Position & Pursue Orders be brought back?

Yes
59
94%
No
4
6%
 
Total votes : 63

Re: Petition to reinstate Guard, Persue and Hold orders!

Postby XxHAMADEHxX » 24 Jan 2018, 05:22

I just heard about this. I always thought the order and engage range buttons are cool. Despite an overwhelming majority of users asking for these features back the Dev has decided that we want these things because of "nostalgia". Which is not true. The first time I played with game was in 2010. It is true that this game is complicated for new users, but it is complicated because of how big the tech tree is, not some commands on the side menu that people use.
XxHAMADEHxX
New user
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 26 May 2014, 13:36

Re: Petition to reinstate Guard, Persue and Hold orders!

Postby Lord_Kane » 24 Jan 2018, 09:36

XxHAMADEHxX wrote:I just heard about this. I always thought the order and engage range buttons are cool. Despite an overwhelming majority of users asking for these features back the Dev has decided that we want these things because of "nostalgia". Which is not true. The first time I played with game was in 2010. It is true that this game is complicated for new users, but it is complicated because of how big the tech tree is, not some commands on the side menu that people use.


This was discussed before basically Per (one of the devs) said that the code would need to be put back in, its been long out of the code base for the game and isn't a matter of just "pasting it back in" it would have be completely re implimented.
which sucks.
User avatar
Lord_Kane
Trained
Trained
 
Posts: 93
Joined: 24 Nov 2016, 21:51

Re: Petition to reinstate Guard, Persue and Hold orders!

Postby Bethrezen » 26 Jan 2018, 05:48

This was discussed before basically Per (one of the devs) said that the code would need to be put back in, its been long out of the code base for the game and isn't a matter of just "pasting it back in" it would have be completely re implimented.
which sucks.


oddly enough the current implementation isn't actually that far off from how it worked before so i don't think it would have to be completely redone although it does still need some work to make it work as it did previously

the two main things that need doing are.

1.) reimplementing a button for both guard and hold so you can see at a glance what the current state is

2.) making that state persist until the player changes it by pressing either the guard button if currently set to hold or by pressing the hold button if currently set to guard.

so what about pursue well I'm ambivalent about that because unlike hold pursue is of limited helpfulness and actually something like search and destroy would be more useful if you have the resources to spam hundred of light cheap units like cyborgs for example since they would just roam the map autonomously smashing everything they come across if any of you have ever played Star Trek Armada you will know the sort of thing I'm thinking of when i say search and destroy

basically units will roam the map autonomously looking for targets and when a target is sighted all units that are set to search and destroy will descend upon that target and then go back to roaming the map once its destroyed, and obviously if set to retreat when damage they will retreat get repaired and then resume roaming the map when repaired.
Bethrezen
Trained
Trained
 
Posts: 438
Joined: 25 Sep 2009, 02:05

Re: Petition to reinstate Guard, Persue and Hold orders!

Postby Berg » 26 Jan 2018, 07:03

Sounds nice
Bethrezen wrote:basically units will roam the map autonomously looking for targets and when a target is sighted all units that are set to search and destroy will descend upon that target and then go back to roaming the map once its destroyed, and obviously if set to retreat when damage they will retreat get repaired and then resume roaming the map when repaired.

I use pursue to find out where a base is they lead you back to home.
Vtols on pursue are brilliant but anyway having extra is good but having the range and other removed orders returned is needed to put the game play back where it was adding more orders is a nice idea but first things first.
As Per said he wont do anything to fix this issue he has ask that we find others to fix his destruction.
Per wrote:
Re: New release planning (3.2.4)/ 3.3.0

Postby Per » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:08 am
Until someone volunteers to re-implement removed unit orders in time for the upcoming release, such discussion does not belong here, and posts on that topic have been moved to the relevant thread instead.
User avatar
Berg
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 1920
Joined: 02 Sep 2007, 23:25
Location: Australia

Re: Petition to reinstate Guard, Persue and Hold orders!

Postby Bethrezen » 28 Jan 2018, 11:51

I use pursue to find out where a base is they lead you back to home.
Vtols on pursue are brilliant but anyway having extra is good but having the range and other removed orders returned is needed to put the game play back where it was adding more orders is a nice idea but first things first.
As Per said he wont do anything to fix this issue he has ask that we find others to fix his destruction.


Vtols on pursue not something i have ever tried but then i don't really play multiplayer so that probably isn't going to help much on campaign mode, but i can see how its has its uses in a skirmish match.

In any event I'm curious with regards to the range states what exactly are they supposed to do ? the reason i ask is because i could never figure this out, despite playing with them settings the effect was so subtle that I can't say I really noticed any appreciable difference, unlike the movement and retreat states where its very obvious what these are for.
Bethrezen
Trained
Trained
 
Posts: 438
Joined: 25 Sep 2009, 02:05

Re: Petition to reinstate Guard, Persue and Hold orders!

Postby Berg » 28 Jan 2018, 18:56

Bethrezen wrote:Vtols on pursue not something i have ever tried but then i don't really play multiplayer so that probably isn't going to help much on campaign mode, but i can see how its has its uses in a skirmish match.


The secret to good tactics is to follow the enemy vtol to its re-arm pads they can be almost anywhere and you can spent lots of time looking for them.

if someone has many vtol and they are devastating you follow their vtol back and destroy the re-arm pads rendering the enemy vtol useless till rebuilt ,

No i dont want a debate on tactics this is what i have a use for persue and hold fire etc they are very good tactical tool
User avatar
Berg
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 1920
Joined: 02 Sep 2007, 23:25
Location: Australia

Previous

Return to Development

cron