RE: Easy Cheat Protection

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
MasterGamer
Greenhorn

RE: Easy Cheat Protection

Post by MasterGamer »

I have the latest version 3.1.2 and people who are cheating don´t get synchronisation error (2+2=5).

A example: cyborg-mafer (A player online) cheated a building that is not possible in a non-mod-map. Normally he should get desync error but it doesn´t and I can see then the building -> And if he wins using those buildings the other team loose :(

Is that because (As he said) he has the version 2.2.1??? - But I have the latest version and I should be safe from cheating or not???
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Re: RE: Easy Cheat Protection

Post by vexed »

Don't necro 4+ year old posts.. they don't apply anymore.

Anyway, yes, it is still possible to cheat with 3.1.x. :stressed:
Sync errors don't catch everything.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

vexed wrote:Anyway, yes, it is still possible to cheat with 3.1.x. :stressed:
Sync errors don't catch everything.
Sorry for asking. buit what does sync code "catch"\"covers" ? what does it synces ? I'm sure it watchs power for every player. what else ?
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

It's more of a question of what the synch code doesn't cover. Since the power isn't synchronised, people can't cheat by giving themselves extra power, since the other players won't see the imaginary power (and the other players won't see anything they try building with it, either).

Although if someone tries (and fails) to cheat with power, the desynch code catches it and shows a “2+2=5” warning that something went wrong. This isn't to catch cheaters (since if it appears, it means that they didn't successfully cheat), it's actually for debugging and detecting if something goes wrong due to bugs in the code. If you see the “2+2=5”, and someone has a slow connection, then the game might freeze, since all players are then automatically sending their versions of the desynch logs to each other, for later debugging.

P.S. Actually, there is a way of synchronising changes to power or creating tanks out of nothing, but it's disabled unless you and all the other players simultaneously enable debug mode, then everyone can suddenly “cheat” and/or debug as much as they want. (And of course, the other clients can't convince your client that you enabled debug mode, unless you really did.)