Changes are coming!

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
machintruc
Greenhorn

Re: Changes are coming!

Post by machintruc »

i like the idea of the "lost counter" above and the idea of chat to his own window :)
ho, and i would like somehow to get rid off "unit produced" sound it's very annoying for me when i have 5 of each factories :D
Last edited by machintruc on 17 Mar 2015, 07:46, edited 4 times in total.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

After testing the icon method, I found it added to the complexity, so, I nixed that idea.
Now, enter = global chat and ctrl+enter = team chat.
team_glob_chat.png
team_glob_chat.png (249.56 KiB) Viewed 6735 times
/facepalm ...Grinch stole WarzoneπŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
machintruc
Greenhorn

Post by machintruc »

ho and how about a different color for the team chat ? it's often like that in other games, it add readability to prioritize the reading of a message (message in global is less important). seeing the capture above maybe it's already implemented ? i would love it
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

vexed wrote:After testing the icon method, I found it added to the complexity, so, I nixed that idea.
Now, enter = global chat and ctrl+enter = team chat.
I believe better to swap keybind for team and all chat like in other RTS("enter" - for team chat)
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

I'm liking that, simple and clear. When I first started I wasn't even sure how messaging worked. :)

"Postby Per Β» 13 Mar 2015, 22:18
What do the new icons mean/do?" - will these when hovering over them in-game give a brief tooltip\description?
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Yes, you can config the chat keys anyway you want. Those aren't locked out.
New question, what do people think of colored text for each person?
wz2100-Deathloop-T1.png
wz2100-Deathloop-T1.png (340.54 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
(Yes, I know some are hard to read, and that will obviously be fixed)
/facepalm ...Grinch stole WarzoneπŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

i Reject your idea of colours
add the team colour flag to each text post leave text colours the same
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

"add the team colour flag to each text post leave text colours the same"

so if this is you post a message and then the colour matches the persons I'm happy with this also. Whatever gives it distinct clarity.

I can't read some of those lol, kidding.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Berg wrote:i Reject your idea of colours
add the team colour flag to each text post leave text colours the same
I reject your rejection.
aah.gif
aah.gif (2.44 KiB) Viewed 6602 times
It must be text, no images. (code complexity skyrockets with images)
machintruc
Greenhorn

Post by machintruc »

i think only one color for global chat and one color for team chat would be nicer, but in other hand it's usefull to know which color is the player which is speaking (i often have to open the tab where are listed the players to check the colors), but the screenshot above with all the colors are confusing(or just ugly?) and hard to read, so i don't know :s maybe only a little character with the color of the player would be nice

*name: blablabla (global)
*name: blablabla (teamchat)

or maybe the name only

name: blablabla (global)
name: blablabla (teamchat)

but some colors are hard to read (depending of the background), so maybe a little character is better than the whole name

PS, i saw the guy asking for a "flag", there are a unicode flag http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode ... /index.htm but not sure if wz support unicode and also i think it will not look good :P
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

I have no idea why people don't read a post all the way through. :annoyed: :stressed:
Maybe I should just stop posting. :stare:
wz2100-chatRush.jpg
wz2100-chatRush.jpg (106.87 KiB) Viewed 6527 times
The *team* text is listed, you have 4 visible lines of text when the team history is open.
You can also scroll back/forth between messages as well, but not 100% sure on where to stick those widgets.

There is also the "global" chat history, (text isn't yellow), you got the same 4 lines visible as well.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

How about upper middle like other rts games for the placement. And I don't quite understand the 4 lines, can you test different amounts with the community to find what works without clogging the screen?

Is the global chat history yellow as well? Joking lol
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

wz2100-morechat.jpg
wz2100-morechat.jpg (98.42 KiB) Viewed 6469 times
The gray outline box (unsure if this will stay or go--it is used for debugging) shows you the area of the history buffer.
Once you move the mouse over that box, you can use the scroll wheel to cycle the log messages up/down, so, no need for new widgets.

As for the 4 line limit, I already found 4 to be annoying, and you want more? :hmm:
As for the placement, where exactly do you mean?

(Yes, in a perfect world, these will be defined in some config file, and people can change them as they please, but, they are not, so you can't at this time.)

**Again, these lines in the box are part of the *history* log. You still see the text at the top as normal. You toggle the history log on/off.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

Okay this is all appearing fine to me. Also have to consider placement of the notifs when many tanks die etc. In other games i.e. starcraft and DOW-1 was like this:
example.png
example.png (433.21 KiB) Viewed 6435 times
so in middle upper has message history, bottom left above there ( or maybe radar?) other misc. notifications. Just as a suggestion.

Actually just realised that if for example you have any menu open on the left hand side this will block out any message history / notifications from your view. So middle like I suggest for message history and events on right hand side above radar makes more sense.

Curious, if I spam many messages online what effect this would have on others (apart from annoyance) as I understand this all uses the displayMessages function
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

We got text shown at the top...
We got the "main window" (for picking stuff) on the left.
We got the intel display in the middle...
So, that only leaves one place for the text, and that is where I have it.
The text is smart enough to move right when the "main window" is open as well.
The indicators will also be on the right, as that other screen shot showed.
(box color change is ONLY FOR DEBUGGING)
wzmoreChat.jpg
wzmoreChat.jpg (91.17 KiB) Viewed 6410 times