Changes are coming!

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Re: Changes are coming!

Post by Tzeentch »

Then it sounds well done but can you just keep the text box in the same position regardless of whether or not you've opened some menu like unit production. Then it is always same place, no messy moving about and I'll know where to expect it? At this stage we're getting more minor so almost there
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Yeah, could, but if you are making something, and missed the text at the top (since everyone is talking and lots of stuff is going on) then, the text will be behind what you are currently doing.
That is why it gets moved to the right.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole WarzoneπŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Well, that part is done--at least for now. Try the new test builds. :)
Don't forget to reset your keymaps! Hit the trashcan icon...

Next up, back to notifications.
A quick poll on IRC shows that basically nobody uses the F12 key to goto the last location a "message" was at. (like Unit lost!)
Anyone here actually use it besides me?
/facepalm ...Grinch stole WarzoneπŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

vexed wrote: A quick poll on IRC shows that basically nobody uses the F12 key to goto the last location a "message" was at. (like Unit lost!)
Only at the beginning. Later you here 2-3 messages every second-no time for clicking. If it is possible-i use F12 always. But i have only two hands :?

PS: This "production completed" is a problem. Without this message i could use F12 more.
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

So, it would be better if those were split up, as I mentioned before....
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

Cannot say as I've not been aware of it. Keeping a shortcut for that is useful.

I will test out latest build on this low spec laptop soon, Ubuntu seems easiest to get up an running.

Unsure if the place but can new screenshots be added to main screen? Like a hover vehicle on sea, archangel missiles and cyborgs
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

vexed wrote:Well, that part is done--at least for now. Try the new test builds. :)
A quick poll on IRC shows that basically nobody uses the F12 key to goto the last location a "message" was at. (like Unit lost!)
I always rebind it to "Space". Cause F12 - it very ugly key for any action button you use. I recommend to make like in standart RTS games (set it to "space"). But a camera tracking feature - is a waste of handy keybind and useless feature (only for campaign may be and if we had a cryengine beauty) :ninja:

As for chat: Vex - I thought you have taken into account that this input frame will be behind frame that shows factories list or res.labs (like on scrnsht). I believe above that frame space is free to put there. And swap keybind for global and team chat plz.
Attachments
wz2100-20150326_153253-Sk-Rush.jpg
wz2100-20150326_153253-Sk-Rush.jpg (61.04 KiB) Viewed 11755 times
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Um, no, can't move it there...
wz2100-m1A.png
wz2100-m1A.png (225.82 KiB) Viewed 11720 times
We just don't have much room to fix all the issues...so, it was put in the best area possible without blocking the text you see here. (As in, people read what the logs say, and respond to that...)

We could do something with the lower panel I guess....
Maybe toggle it off when chat is on? :hmm:
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

About notifications, we want when a unit/structure is attacked, and what else?
Do we care if a new unit is made?
What about finding a new oil resource?
What about a artifact?

What events should we be monitoring?
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

May I give you few more points. I think by saying "the best area possible without blocking the text you see" you mean chat inputBox will overlap logs text already in chat. Just put logs frame 15 px upper.
The problem is logs frame is snapping to left screen edge and if build or res menu opened it shifts logs to the right and hides right logs ending(look at screenshot attached). Also one more thing: I think no need to draw blue back frame for inputbox(+10px ) and label "chat:global". Its enough to identify input mode by color border(+10 px height more). I believe this is all cause we still stick to 640x480 minimum resolution.
Btw I dont really understand how ctrl+"~" - really works. And it would be good to separate chat logs from system logs, may be thats what ctrl+"~" do ?
Attachments
wz_chat_proposl.png
wz_chat_proposl.png (360.41 KiB) Viewed 11698 times
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

vexed wrote:About notifications, we want when a unit/structure is attacked, and what else?
Do we care if a new unit is made?
What about finding a new oil resource?
What about a artifact?

What events should we be monitoring?

No
yes/no
No
BUT: We should not forget the players, who are deaf and dumb. What i want to say is: no monitoring, no voice to hear, that would be fair. :hmm:
This is a daunting task for you, to take into account all possibilities. :|
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Terminator, yes, the chat is split between team chat history & global chat history depending on what you press.
I don't think removing the chat type is a good idea, it isn't self explanatory.

I redid some stuff, and this is how it looks now...
wzactual_mk.png
wzactual_mk.png (458.58 KiB) Viewed 11650 times
The area at the very top will be used for user action cues, and what not, and also for chat entry, and things like if you assign droids to a key, unit response, and other stuff like that. It will also be used to have messages/indicators and other things. (think of it like a mobile phone or tablet info line). [Yes, we need new icons for this area!]

Oh, and in case people didn't know, you don't have to get the installer each time a new commit is made, we have just the .exe available at http://buildbot.wz2100.net/files/master ... /main-exe/
If data changes, then you do need the whole thing though. (Windows only)

P.S, I think I will rename Chat: Global to Chat: ALL, and maybe do Chat: Ally instead of team (maybe).
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

P.S, I think I will rename Chat: Global to Chat: ALL, and maybe do Chat: Ally instead of team (maybe).

Agreed. I'll check first hand how this works when I get time, I tried downloading the file on windows 7 and extracting with 7zip, where does it have to be extracted to as the game I got to open but wouldn't play any games without crashing. No skirmish, campagin, tutorial, fastplay or online
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

What do you guys think, better with the blue background, or better without it? :hmm:
wz2100-text.png
wz2100-text.png (176.17 KiB) Viewed 11585 times
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

that blue strip at the top? Yes keep it.

urm so what are the steps to correctly extract and test this?