Warzone 2100 v3.1.2 issue

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Warzone 2100 v3.1.2 issue

Post by Bethrezen »

Hi all

Been playing through the campaign again on the latest build v3.1.2 and I have been noticing a few issues.

1.) Crash to desktop not sure what is causing this but on multiple occasions now I’ve had the game crash to desktop after reloading my save I had a look in the game folder but don’t see any error log.

2.) Units attached to commanders are not obeying the hold position command and continuing to act as if there set on guard position clearly this is incorrect behaviour which needs to be fixed.

3.) I’ve been getting an error about some missing file or something the in game error says to check the error log but so far as I can tell there isn’t one I'll post a screen shot of the error in question when it happens again.

4.) When I go to the design screen and I hover over the icons for armour etc the game is no longer telling the player what each of the icons is I know in the past when you hover over the various icons it would give you a little caption saying kinetic armour / thermal armour / engine output etc but it’s no longer doing this not sure if this was a deliberate change or not but if not then this also needs looking at and fixing

5.) Whirlwind not making Cyclone obsolete ? not sure if this is deliberate or just an oversight but so far as I can tell both of these weapons are identical the only difference is the Whirlwind has an increased rate of fire making it superior to the Cyclone so why then is the Cyclone not made obsolete by the Whirlwind?

6.) Pepper Pot Mortars by the time you get these they are already obsolete I know you don’t like messing with the campaign tech trees to much but I feel that you should really get these earlier in the game when they would actually be useful my proposition is after you have the mortar and bombard but before you get ripple rockets and howitzers.

7.) Units getting stuck I don’t know about anyone else but this is the one issue that annoys me above all else clearly the game has some serious pathing issues that need to be fixed and has needed to be fixed for a very long time

in any other game like this I don’t experience the problem of units getting struck like this more over it seems to me as if the units are actively coded to drive into obstacles and get stuck rather then driving around them now admittedly this is not an easy problem to solve or it would have been fixed already so my temporary solution to the issue is to just make it so units can drive through each other I know its not exactly realistic but it would improve game play no end and would remove a lot of frustration caused primarily by badly coded game mechanics

the same holds true when you have units set to retreat at the moment there is very little point to using that because units at the front can't retreat because the units at the back are in the way and are to stupid to move so the retreating units can't fall back for repairs and again I can't count the number of times I’ve lost experienced units simply because of badly coded game mechanics that wont allow my units to fall back correctly which wouldn’t even be so bad if not for the fact that it takes so bloody long for your units to level up

to give you some perspective on just how stupid the level up process is I can take one group of units from level 1 of the campaign right the way to the last level of the game and have them still not be at hero level because the level up process simply take to long clearly the amount of experience units need to level up needs adjusting.

8.) The game not remembering group assignments, I’ve noticed on several occasions now that when I set units to a specific group save the game and then reload the game has forgotten that I set the group of units to a specific group and I have to reset the group again this is extremely aggravating as it makes managing multiple groups of units exceedingly difficult

also in the same vain I’ve notice that the computer keeps removing units from an assigned group when the unit retreats so for example I have 18 lancers set to group 1 and I have them set to retreat at medium damage upon entering combat a few of the units get damaged and fall back for repair but at the same time they are removed from group one I don’t know what the idea is behind this is but in my opinion this is incorrect behaviour units that are retreating should not be getting there group assignments removed although they should be automatic deselected so that the units wont receive any further orders until you select the unit again

in addition I have also noticed that when I assign units to a commander if they had a group set before hand this group assignment is removed again in my opinion this is incorrect behaviour the computer should not be removing units from there assigned group

9.) Automatic commands superseding player commands this is in my opinion also incorrect behaviour Automatic commands should never supersede players commands an example of this is the retreat command if units starts to fall back and I tell them to move in the opposite direction because they are trying to retreat through enemies instead of away from them this command should automatically disable the auto retreat command as my commands should always take precedence.
Last edited by Bethrezen on 21 Feb 2015, 02:51, edited 3 times in total.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Re: Warzone 2100 v3.1.2 issue

Post by Bethrezen »

Ok so here is a screen shot of the error I have been getting when the game crashes to desktop

and here is a screen shot of the in game error

vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Need to see the warzone2100.RPT file.

What OS you using?
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

XP SP3

also with regards to the crash to desktop sometimes the game just shuts down without an error although I'm not sure if its the same issue causing the crash or a different one

In addition I just noticed another issue which is most definitely a bug so I posted it to Trac
http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/4284#ticket
For some reason the base on beta campaign mission 8 the one where you have to take out the uplink drops 4 artefacts however only 3 of them actually give you new things to research so either there is missing tech or the game is not supposed to be dropping 4 artefacts on this level either way this is clearly a bug that needs investigating.
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

Bethrezen wrote:XP SP3

also with regards to the crash to desktop sometimes the game just shuts down without an error although I'm not sure if its the same issue causing the crash or a different one
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11268&p=124441&hili ... rs#p124441
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Bethrezen wrote:XP SP3

Let me guess, intel drivers?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11960&p=130419#p130419

We don't support XP, since it lacks the OS calls that we use, and thus, you can't even get crash dumps.

I recommend you switch to a more recent OS, or, if you don't want to pay, use linux mint or something like that.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

Let me guess, intel drivers?
my chip set drivers are intel but if you are referring to graphics then no my graphics card is a nvidia gforce 9500gt anyway ive attached the Warzone2100.RPT file along with screen shot of another error

Attachments
Warzone2100.RPT
(213.37 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Huh, very odd stuff going on there, I assume you are reloading games over and over or something?
I can't say anyone has reported that specific crash before, and, since you seem to be the first, we need a way to replicate it.

So, any pointers on how you are making the game crash?
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

typically the game crashes after a few reloads so best bet is to just try reloading a few times see if you can get it to happen but I've also had it happen even when I'm just playing normally I'll be right in the middle of a level and poof back to desk top and i have to reload and start the level over again or from where ever i saved last.

I can attach a DXdiag log if that would be any good to you ? maybe it will help you figure out if its something in the games code that's at fault or if its something a bit odd with my system although given that the game seems to be trying to do things that its not supposed to be and its reporting Access Violations I'm inclined to think its a code issue since an access violations normally occur when an area of memory is accessed that the program doesn't have access to.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/arch ... e-you.aspx
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

If you drop back to the desktop, with no crash message dialog, that usually signals issues that are really, really bad, if it is game code, or driver related code.
If it was game code, we would be seeing lots more of these kind of crashes that you are having.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

I see i wonder then why the programmed is trying to access memory locations that its not supposed to be then because this is indicative of code that has been write incorrectly

for example

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/159 ... tion-error
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/652 ... g-location

now although these are different programs i think at a fundamental level if the same sort of mistake has been made in the warzone code it would result in the type of errors that I'm seeing although admittedly this is all way beyond my level of ability at this point since I'm only just learning the very basics of programming.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

As I stated above, it don't look like the game is doing it, it is the drivers, unless something is really, really wrong with WZ's code, and, as I also stated above, if this was indeed the case, we would see a flood of these type of bugs in the bug tracker, and that isn't the case.

For what it is worth, the campaign is also being re-written in JS, so any campaign bugs should be noted.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

Well I can certainly try updating my graphics drivers / drivers in general see if it makes any difference because its certainly not the first time I’ve seen issues caused by dated and or faulty drivers and as it happens its not a such a serious issue that its stops me from actually playing the game its more of an irritating embuggerance having the game crash on me an irritating embuggerance that I’d like to make go away if possible so I can play in peace although given the number of other irritating little issues I’ve come across in this build that seems a little unlikely for the time being so maybe I’ll just have to wait for the next build and hopefully some of these annoying little glitches will go away
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

vexed wrote:For what it is worth, the campaign is also being re-written in JS, so any campaign bugs should be noted.
I'd vote for having a better place for that; either bug tracker with easily searchable tag and sorting by level, or maybe a wiki page listing known campaign bugs (or just issues to be aware of). I'd never find this thread when i reach these levels.
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

NoQ wrote: I'd vote for having a better place for that; either bug tracker with easily searchable tag and sorting by level, or maybe a wiki page listing known campaign bugs (or just issues to be aware of). I'd never find this thread when i reach these levels.
Agree-I find that a fantastic idea. I have a lot of bugs noticed during my experience with campaign (i think i played the campaign more then 30 times) . Some bugs are not so important, some makes me every time very nervous, because i reported them and nothing changed. "Sorting by levels"-YES. So-i am going to play the campaign in 3.1.2 now and will make a list of the important bugs in combination with "How to avoid the problems".

PS. In matter, that we will have a better place, somebody should translate my bad english
regards
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.