Confusion?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
BRIEFINGCOMMENCES
New user

Confusion?

Post by BRIEFINGCOMMENCES »

Ok, so I've been playing the campaign. I'm a little confused about a few things, but so far I haven't died outright.

The transmission messaging interface seems to be broken. "Briefing commences" but doesn't, transmissions come but don't, is something supposed to happen? The tech interface is a visual glob, which makes some sense if its a uniform messaging interface, but it seems to be prototypical. Its cool that I can design my own tank systems, its potentially very Civ3, but the tech systems aren't, and the interface could use some work. This game reminds me most of Ground Control, though I haven't gotten far enough to know if the last level crashes intentionally, the resemblance is strong enough that I keep wondering if there will be fighter swarms.

The objectives are obscure in the secure plateau level, which is as far as I've gone, and the dropships are sparse for the amount of tanks I could plausibly have. The alpha map is so big that dropships would be useful for across the map. Replays are necessary because of unavoidable problems. Then there is the petabyte memory leak that I came here for. Now I could be wrong but I don't know, this isn't something it should do. I have the memory for that other stuff, but wtf. If there is something I need to try, I don't mind compiling things and such, but my experience with GDB and C++ is limited for someone who can say that. I wouldn't mind starting out on contributing but I'm not going to toot my own horns on that one.
Attachments
Virtual Gluttony
Virtual Gluttony
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: Confusion?

Post by Jorzi »

Hi
Have you downloaded the video sequences package? Without it any briefings will simply be a green blob and then a textbox. The reason why it's a separate download is that it's ~600MB and doesn't change between releases.

In campaign, the transports are a very fixed game mechanic but in skirmish/mp games you can build several transports and send them wherever you want.

I lol'd at the memory consumption, quite high for a 32 bit app :) As long as it doesn't actually use up all the machine's memory I wouldn't be too worried though.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

The virtual memory size is practically meaningless, I think it shows the range in which the program allocated memory, not the amount (that's the RSS column). Could maybe be a graphics driver that maps memory into a very high address range.
We want information... information... information.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Also, Ubuntu has the old version of Warzone.
Get the new one from playdeb, http://www.playdeb.net/app/Warzone2100 if you don't want to compile it yourself.

The videos are at http://sourceforge.net/projects/warzone ... 00/Videos/ for the campaign missions.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.