Units won't shoot if desired target is hidden & movement

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Spik3d
Rookie
Rookie

Units won't shoot if desired target is hidden & movement

Post by Spik3d »

I've noticed units refusing to shoot at anything if they want to shoot at an enemy which is behind a wall or otherwise out of sight to the unit. Their turret is aiming towards the enemy they're unable to shoot and instead of acquiring a new target and dealing damage to it, they'll sit there holding their fire until the enemy sticks its head out or you tell it otherwise.

I've been playing the campaign since I last downloaded 3.1.0 (I saw 3.1.1 was released, but nothing in the changelog about this), and it's very prevalent in the first mission of gamma campaign. Where there may be a scourge tower behind a wall, but my units would rather stare at it and die than shoot the wall in-between them and the tower, then take out the tower or take out a hardpoint a few spots down the wall which is well within range.

Also, I've noticed units don't really move when they get bumped anymore from older versions. Which causes problems if your units are set to retreat at high/med damage and the repair facility is behind their group. For example, if you tell a group to move to a position, they'll ball around it and if one of the units on the far side of the group from the repair facility gets damaged, it'll try forcing its way through the entire ball of units, turning left and right and barely moving through since none of the other units will move for it instead of even just going around. And it doesn't help with units not moving to turn around, you used to be able to get around this issue by ordering units to strafe left and right, but with 3.x, they'll stop dead in their tracks to turn around instead of moving and creating gaps for retreating units to utilize. Overall, 3.x has better path finding, but it takes much less time in 2.x for individual units to retreat through a group.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: Units won't shoot if desired target is hidden & movement

Post by Jorzi »

I've noticed many of these things too, I'm especially annoyed by the reluctance to fire at walls, which requires lots of micromanagement.
Apparently tanks have clear priorities on what to fire at, and logically, firing at walls shouldn't be that high, but I still think it would be a valid target if no other targets are present/in range.

New idea/feature request: A customizable priority list for unit behaviour.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

Jorzi wrote: Apparently tanks have clear priorities on what to fire at, and logically, firing at walls shouldn't be that high, but I still think it would be a valid target if no other targets are present/in range.
Hmm, i think it depends on the situation. Last time i had a battle, where my opponent has built about 60 units in his base. The open gate which he built was very small. His units went out one by one. So my artillery, which i attached to a sensor turret not a sensor tower, had enough time to destroy all his factories. No changes for him to made a counter attack. He has built his own prison. We have 3 solutions here: Fire at will-return fire-hold fire. Maybe it would be nice to see a fourth solution: fire at all enemy structures for example
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
IgorBrehm
Trained
Trained

Post by IgorBrehm »

Spik3d wrote:I've noticed units refusing to shoot at anything if they want to shoot at an enemy which is behind a wall or otherwise out of sight to the unit. Their turret is aiming towards the enemy they're unable to shoot and instead of acquiring a new target and dealing damage to it, they'll sit there holding their fire until the enemy sticks its head out or you tell it otherwise.

I've been playing the campaign since I last downloaded 3.1.0 (I saw 3.1.1 was released, but nothing in the changelog about this), and it's very prevalent in the first mission of gamma campaign. Where there may be a scourge tower behind a wall, but my units would rather stare at it and die than shoot the wall in-between them and the tower, then take out the tower or take out a hardpoint a few spots down the wall which is well within range.

Also, I've noticed units don't really move when they get bumped anymore from older versions. Which causes problems if your units are set to retreat at high/med damage and the repair facility is behind their group. For example, if you tell a group to move to a position, they'll ball around it and if one of the units on the far side of the group from the repair facility gets damaged, it'll try forcing its way through the entire ball of units, turning left and right and barely moving through since none of the other units will move for it instead of even just going around. And it doesn't help with units not moving to turn around, you used to be able to get around this issue by ordering units to strafe left and right, but with 3.x, they'll stop dead in their tracks to turn around instead of moving and creating gaps for retreating units to utilize. Overall, 3.x has better path finding, but it takes much less time in 2.x for individual units to retreat through a group.
yeah also noticed that... But now talking about the units don't moving when they get bumped, I think that the only thing that is missing is that the unit tries to find a path to the place you ordered it to go, or maybe 2 paths,or 3... But it should also when out of paths to go somehow ask for other units to give passage... Then the pathfinding would be perfect I think... Also another thing is that units should move in formations like a square or something and you could change that if you wanted to a triangle for example and you should be able to assemble different places in that formation for different kinds of units to occupy like on Rome II total War or many other games...
MrUnknown
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MrUnknown »

Had the same issue in multiplayer. Enemy has a lasor hardpoint and is well in range but units just stand and stare at it
w3 4r3 31337 h4x0rs