Future of the WZ ?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.

Future of the WZ ?

Postby Whiskered » 18 Dec 2013, 18:18

I've been wondering what will happen with this game when it will work perfectly and there will be no need to balance things.

Also is it possible to send this game to steam ? It could be released as free title.
I also wondered can we develop a fully blown proper sequel of this title? It would be quite grand if that would be possible.

There are so much possibilities in which WZ could go, such as:
- Full use of naval droids.
- Building bases on water
- Road building,
- Bridge building
- Different power sources. Such as wind or coal.
- New resource, humans. You would need humans to operate base structures.
- New system turrets like deployable bridge.
- New auxiliary slot for some bodies.

And many many more.
User avatar
Whiskered
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 13 Dec 2013, 17:23

Re: Future of the WZ ?

Postby vexed » 19 Dec 2013, 04:07

Can we develop all those things ? Sure, but, all those things take people power to code.
WZ already had plans for bridges, but, it wasn't working/finished.

We can't compile it with steam's API at this time, until it works with gcc & the cross-compiler. We don't do native windows builds built on windows based machines.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
User avatar
vexed
Inactive
Inactive
 
Posts: 2451
Joined: 27 Jul 2010, 02:07

Re: Future of the WZ ?

Postby MrUnknown » 29 Dec 2013, 14:35

hmm... sounds great but as vexed above said: it would be a BIG project,you would need to design units,coding,getting those models etc.etc. but it would be cool
MrUnknown
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 22:49
Location: cyber-space

Re: Future of the WZ ?

Postby Campos Zidov » 04 Jan 2014, 23:40

Whiskered wrote:I've been wondering what will happen with this game when it will work perfectly and there will be no need to balance things.

Also is it possible to send this game to steam ? It could be released as free title.
I also wondered can we develop a fully blown proper sequel of this title? It would be quite grand if that would be possible.

There are so much possibilities in which WZ could go, such as:
- Full use of naval droids.
- Building bases on water
- Road building,
- Bridge building
- Different power sources. Such as wind or coal.
- New resource, humans. You would need humans to operate base structures.
- New system turrets like deployable bridge.
- New auxiliary slot for some bodies.

And many many more.



Hi Friends!

I like all of those ideas. I want know if the campaign ends in chapter 3.4 in the version 3.1? I finished the chapter 3.4 and the game simply return to the main menu, it was so disappointing, I dreamed with strongs vehicles bodies, the auto-repair tech and satellite laser to defeat Nexus. Is it possible that my game's version has a problem?

Thanks so much.
Campos Zidov
New user
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 11 Aug 2012, 17:05

Re: Future of the WZ ?

Postby NoQ » 05 Jan 2014, 06:31

What is "chapter 3.4"?
User avatar
NoQ
Special
Special
 
Posts: 6136
Joined: 24 Dec 2009, 11:35
Location: /var/zone

Re: Future of the WZ ?

Postby stiv » 06 Jan 2014, 22:00

I've been wondering what will happen with this game when it will work perfectly and there will be no need to balance things.


People will be arguing over the balance until the cows come home.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member
 
Posts: 876
Joined: 18 Jul 2008, 04:41
Location: 45N 86W

Re: Future of the WZ ?

Postby Hesterax » 12 Jan 2014, 08:28

I doubt that bridges in Warzone 2100 are of much use. I mean we already have VTOLs, Cyborg transports, and hovers to do the job of crossing water. And there usually is another way around the obstruction that takes less time than building a bridge.
User avatar
Hesterax
Trained
Trained
 
Posts: 282
Joined: 11 Jan 2014, 13:32

Re: Future of the WZ ?

Postby technician » 12 Apr 2014, 06:20

Hesterax wrote:I doubt that bridges in Warzone 2100 are of much use. I mean we already have VTOLs, Cyborg transports, and hovers to do the job of crossing water. And there usually is another way around the obstruction that takes less time than building a bridge.


As of current, you are quite right. Bridges in warzone would be of very little strategic value. However, should bridges be added, some map designers would take this into account in their new maps, creating situations where your units must cross water to engage the enemy, there is simply no other way around. True, you can simply use hovers for such a map, but if you want to use heavier units, which have more HP, a bridge will be needed to get them across. Added to hilly terrain and the likes (where hover is not so well suited), building bridges could give a tactical advantage, and would add a dimension to the strategies in the game.
User avatar
technician
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 01 Apr 2014, 03:43
Location: New Zealand

Re: Future of the WZ ?

Postby Night_0wl » 17 Jul 2015, 01:42

Whiskered wrote:...is it possible to send this game to steam ? It could be released as free title.

vexed wrote:...We can't compile it with steam's API at this time, until it works with gcc & the cross-compiler. We don't do native windows builds built on windows based machines.


Any possibility of taking another look into this? I'm not good with code/compiling but I've read somewhere that steam has updated their runtime and expanded its compatibility list. It has been 2 years since the OP, maybe it works with GCC now?

I think if we could get this thing on steam it would give the community a lot more attention. Would there be anything EULA wise that would prevent this? Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen older games on steam with their own mp lobbies... I don't think games are required to use steams mp lobby... are they?

source: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam- ... /issues/14
Night_0wl
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 12 Jan 2011, 03:57

Re: Future of the WZ ?

Postby vexed » 18 Jul 2015, 03:16

Well, our game is GPL V2, and since we are not the original authors, we can't change that.

Steamworks is not GPL, and unless it is deemed compatible with GPL v2, I don't think it can be used.
However, if it can be used, since they don't offer the source, I am unsure if we would be able to use it anyway, since we would need our cross-compiler to be able to use it, and if they don't have builds for it, we would be out of luck.

If by chance, that they do have everything we need, the next step would be having that woven into WZ's code, unsure what is required and all that, we are basically only 1-3 people working on WZ 'as time allows', which basically means that we don't have the manpower to look into what exactly we would have to do.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
User avatar
vexed
Inactive
Inactive
 
Posts: 2451
Joined: 27 Jul 2010, 02:07


Return to Development