GPL Question- May I use name/story/etc, build from scratch?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

GPL Question- May I use name/story/etc, build from scratch?

Post by yahodahan »

Hi all-

Wonderful work here, a definitive part of my childhood kept alive. I have always been interested in re-building WZ2100 from scratch, and recently have found myself in circumstances that make this reasonably possible.

Now, I read, and re-read several times, the GPL-related info posted here, and it appears to simply, plainly, grant the right to use WZ2100's story, name, source files, etc- as long as the resulting product is distributed for free.

My question is, what about only using the name, story, etc, and building the game up from scratch? Are we required to stick with the source material, as part of the GPL? It seems open to this, but seemed a likely "grey-zone" that someone else here might be better able to interpret, or shed light on from personal knowledge or understanding.

Thanks!
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: GPL Question- May I use name/story/etc, build from scrat

Post by Per »

If the resulting product is distributed under the GPL there would be no problem.
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

Awesome, thank you for the quick response.

With that confirmed...engines are being started, and plans put in motion ;)

I'll create a formal post for this project once I have things far enough along. Thanks again!
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

yahodahan wrote: as long as the resulting product is distributed for free.
Doesn't have to be "distributed for free", just has to have the source code available so that others can distribute it as well. You could actually charge for it if you wanted.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

Hmm, really? Seems there must be a catch somewhere. The IP is open to use, even as a commercial product, for anyone at all? Sorry, not doubting your words, just need to make sure I don't end up in a legal quagmire after months of work.

This opens up quite a few possibilities!
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Note that if you charge for it, nothing stops (and nothing may stop, either) the first person buying it from then legally distributing it for free to everyone else.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Cyp, true but if Yahodahan is committed to providing a quality product with timely updates and such, a valuable subscription model can be achieved.
Seems to me absurd
~
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

Good thoughts.

My goal in recreating Warzone 2100 isn't to make an income from it. If I wanted to do that, I would take all the great mechanics of Warzone, and merge them into a new game IP, and attempt to sell that. However, this re-creation is about satisfying my nostalgia and a drive to see Warzone completely rebuilt in full, next-gen glory.

I intend to recreate every part of the original game, as close as possible to the source. Right down to the terrain meshes, if I can. Maybe this sounds un-creative, but I am honestly limiting myself in this way because I enjoy that particular challenge. Also, that is simply the product I want to create- not an abstraction of Warzone 2100.

The abstraction, the outflow of creativity, that's where Warzone 2150 comes in ;)
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

Most of the money made off of GPL software is from tech support contracts, dual license (not applicable here), donations, or some kind of subscription model (say something like World of Tanks w/o binary distro). The last option though i would need to reread the GPL for though..
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

Thanks for the extra thoughts, Lord Apocalypse :) Moving slowly on this, as I have quite a bit occupying my attention lately, but it's in the works.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:dual license (not applicable here)
If he is just using the story why could he not duel license? For example the story could remain GPL while the program itself is of another license. It all depends if the "story" and name (Warzone2100) are indeed GPL. If they are, then as long as they remain licensed under the GPL (as well any derivative works), then it should be ok. It's just like if you wrote a book based on WZ2100, the story remains GPL, but that does not mean the medium via which you display the story must be GPL. All that is required is that a person receiving the "story" is not denied their distribution rights as per the GPL.
Seems to me absurd
~
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

Well, the other half is, I genuinely don't want to be a **** to the original creators- the simple truth is that I would be taking their IP, their legacy, and profiting from it. On the other hand, it _is_ going to be a massive amount of work (literally building an entire game from scratch) so I do hope/intend to profit in some way, at least indirectly (advertising on site, media exposure, etc), but...a moral-to-business middle ground is where I'd like to be.

Also, I really don't want to run the risk of being sued by Eidos, ha.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

You do realize that you are claiming that you will single-handedly remake everything that a team of professional full-time coders and artists spent years working on, presumably in your spare time?

It is easy to mock up something in a few hours to look like a game, but I think some people severely underestimate the amount of sheer "stuff" that goes into a game like this.

The story is the easy part... and stories are not easy.
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

Hi Per,

I do realize the scale of this, no mistaking it is a huge undertaking. I'm purposely not creating a big, exciting post about how awesome this "remake" will be, because I understand it could very well never happen. Despite my obvious business/legal naivete, I have many years experience working with small game development, and have seen all sorts of ups and downs.

So, I don't foresee a "quick, simple, just rebuild all of Warzone 2100 in a weekend". However, I do have quite a few opportunities lining up to make this happen, and recently the ability to pay others to work on this with me, vs just partnering and hoping. That ability being a direct result of my other game-dev related work.

You are 100% correct- and I've been guilty of underestimating this sort of thing many times, ha. Taking it slow here, and moving pieces forward as I can- the first was to make sure this is even legally doable. With that out of the way, I am now concentrating on building out a roadmap and doing some art/code tests myself.

To lay a few of cards on the table, part of what makes this feasible for me is, I can build much of the game in "modular" chunks- ie, the RTS system, the 3D art, particle effects, weapons controllers, etc, and then sell each of those as individual items on the Unity Asset Store, to fund further development. So I'm never wasting time or money on a project that could, in reality, simply become too large/unmanageable/etc to finish. But, each small step, each new modular component, is a step towards that final project- nothing is wasted.

Also, while it's true this originally took years to create, the tools available now are incredibly easier to use and faster. I've been along for a small part of that ride, and it's a beautiful thing!

Thanks Per, I apologize if I sound at all belligerent/etc, just determined to make this happen! I always appreciate reality checks :) In this case, I think I do have a solid, feasible plan of action, and as I began to throttle-up and roll forward into real production, I'll keep everyone updated here, for sure.