GPL Question- May I use name/story/etc, build from scratch?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: GPL Question- May I use name/story/etc, build from scrat

Post by Rman Virgil »

I think your plan is sound, reasonable, feasible and the opposite of pie in the sky. Maintaining enthusiasm over a long stretch is essential and with the solid biz and modular design foundation-approach you spell out, the odds are more in your favor of doing just that and achieving the goal, imho. :3
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Topic split to viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11392

This thread should only be for 'GPL Question'.... the other stuff belongs in the above thread.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

Thanks Vexed, that'll keep things simple.
spit4brains
Greenhorn

Post by spit4brains »

Hi Yaho
I am not a programmer but i have the nack of test playing a game to destruction lol... with that being said i am very curious as to what "new features" your game will have how much diffrent it will be from what has been done already? but i do like the idea of something new and posibly something fresh
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

Heh, well, we are a long ways from anything test-ready, but thank you! Fresh ideas? Well, we have a few...saving them for a surprise though.

Things are coming together...well, as they come. We are working with the intent of sticking quite closely to the original, but with the knowledge that this direction will probably change, and that's just fine.
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

Just messing around with the Unity tool "Prototype" I sell. Warzone on the brain!

Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Interesting, keep up the good work!
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I'm looking to ProBuilder v.2.2 supporting extrusion and edge subdivision. The next version of Prototype (this being the stripped down core of ProBuilder) will hopefully likewise support these features... if not, then you gotta go with PB v.2.2 for creating smooth curved edges. Right now its crazy labor intensive.... unless your cool with everything being boxy. Otherwise, a fabulously designed tool for Unity. :3
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

Neat to find a PB user here :) Labor intensive for smooth edges, yeah, it's true- but it's a method designed for non-organic shapes. We are working to update that though! On the other hand, my friend with ZERO 3D experience was able to build all sorts of semi-complex stuff with the "box" method, it's great for early users. So simple, impossible to break, and very fast with ProGrids. When I showed her Extrude, edges, etc, she promptly broke everything, got frustrated, and when back to boxes...haha. It was an interesting case study ;)

Back on the actual subject of this thread, we are starting to lean toward just a spiritual successor, without actually using the IP. Would prefer to have all options open, rather than limited by licensing. However, we will be keeping it very, very close to the original- can't copyright game mechanics!

On the other hand, that Eidos was willing to go GPL means there might be someone we can approach directly about the IP.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

yahodahan wrote:Neat to find a PB user here :) Labor intensive for smooth edges, yeah, it's true- but it's a method designed for non-organic shapes. We are working to update that though! On the other hand, my friend with ZERO 3D experience was able to build all sorts of semi-complex stuff with the "box" method, it's great for early users. So simple, impossible to break, and very fast with ProGrids. When I showed her Extrude, edges, etc, she promptly broke everything, got frustrated, and when back to boxes...haha. It was an interesting case study ;)
The prog's design is impressive, no doubt. To me, that makes a huge difference along with its power. Some progs that are powerful are so clutzy in design that I'm disinclined to learn em even if their free. I'll pay for good design, bottom line.
Back on the actual subject of this thread, we are starting to lean toward just a spiritual successor, without actually using the IP. Would prefer to have all options open, rather than limited by licensing. However, we will be keeping it very, very close to the original- can't copyright game mechanics!
Good point.
On the other hand, that Eidos was willing to go GPL means there might be someone we can approach directly about the IP.
You may try PMing... jaywalker_eidos. I worked with him a few years ago to redraft the original WZ GPL. He may or may not still be at Eidos. Its worth a shot. Cool guy.

yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

Ah, that's great to know! We are going to wait till we have something solid before we start attempting to contact anyone, that would be in a month or two. Still amazed that he (Jay?) was able to get the GPL for you guys, usually that sort of thing is locked behind so much red tape, etc... Gives me hope. Thanks!
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Well, the first time around was about 5 years of "red tape" (and much else) to liberate WZ under the GPL. Jay was not part of that. Others were involved, some declared by name in the distro README file, some left to the annals of anonymity, unfortunately.. But the 2nd time, a few years back, to get clarification on the inclusion of the music, CAM vids, and GPL exception, took a few weeks with Jay spear heading that effort.
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

That's a beautiful thing, when efforts like that prove fruitful :) Hopefully he's still there, for sure.