Custom music?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Serman
Trained
Trained

Re: Custom music?

Post by Serman »

The funny thing is, there's no music on my original copy of Warzone 2100. I've never played it with music, and i'm pretty okay without it.

It makes the game seem more realistic.

But the game absolutely COULD use some nature sound effects such as thunder, raindrops, wind, stuff crackling, better propulsion sounds, and less base noise. :/

In my original copy, the base made nowhere near as much noise as they do in this version.

Here, the Factory makes a noise once every 1 and a half seconds or so.

in the original it only let a burst of air, and a sound only every 10 seconds.

So, I tend to work outside my base while in-game most of all. Cause the noise from the Factories, Oil Derricks and most of all the annoying electric sound of the Power Generators is pretty damn annoying.
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

Yes, ambient effects, has this been added to the wish list? Blowing wind, distant gunshots/explosions (deep ambient and creepy), a few animals (wolves or coyotes)... obviously if we survived a few animals would. water around water tiles. Would we have to modify the source to be able to add ambient sounds to affect only certain areas? I don't think so, at least not that much, facilities and factories only make sound when the player is in proximity all we would have to do is define a set of coordinates on the map and then a radius for the sound to be displayed!

Whaddaya think?
INTEL PENTIUM4 2.66GHZ PROCESSOR
2GB DUAL DDR PC3200 SDRAM
RADEON X1600 512MB AGP GRAPHICS CARD
WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SP2 OPERATING SYSTEM
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

If the engine is modified to that end, let me know and I can contribute all kinds of ambient sound effects..  I have about 3GB of em (possibly more..  I'll have to look through my library).
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

J.Vaughan wrote: a few animals (wolves or coyotes)... 

Whaddaya think?

AAAAArrrrroooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!  i like it!! ;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

I figured that would get your attention lav but I wasn't doing it to suck up either ;). I thought of coyotes in the arizona maps and wolves in the rockies maps... Of course, do wolves live in the Colorado Rockies? lol I added it to the wish list. I really think this is a simple thing to do since it was already included in the structure code (of course, what I know of anyways...)
INTEL PENTIUM4 2.66GHZ PROCESSOR
2GB DUAL DDR PC3200 SDRAM
RADEON X1600 512MB AGP GRAPHICS CARD
WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SP2 OPERATING SYSTEM
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

actually - as an aside here... the U.S. and Canadian government tried to reintroduce the wolf ( from our large population of wolves ) but as usual hunters and farmers and natural predation of other species did them in.  we up here in our branch of the rockies enjoy the howls and growls of them lovable 4 footed predators... as long as your not trying to feed them ( they will more than likely take your throat out).

;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Serman
Trained
Trained

Post by Serman »

lav_coyote25 wrote: actually - as an aside here... the U.S. and Canadian government tried to reintroduce the wolf ( from our large population of wolves ) but as usual hunters and farmers and natural predation of other species did them in.  we up here in our branch of the rockies enjoy the howls and growls of them lovable 4 footed predators... as long as your not trying to feed them ( they will more than likely take your throat out).

;D
And it's only safe to assume, that the player has no idea where in Canada he is anyway.  8)
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

J.Vaughan wrote: Would we have to modify the source to be able to add ambient sounds to affect only certain areas?
Yep.
J.Vaughan wrote: I don't think so, at least not that much, facilities and factories only make sound when the player is in proximity all we would have to do is define a set of coordinates on the map and then a radius for the sound to be displayed!
Sure, but the same applies to guns/cannons/missiles fire. In fact this applies to all sounds (i.e. being able to be heared only in a certain radius).

Code for ambient effects would have to be programmed from scratch though. Although it should be fairly easy to integrate, it would require something like the addition of an "environment effect" object. The actual displaying of a sound should be very easy though. Making it moddable is the hard part.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Back on topic:  With the semester nearing an end, I will be putting more time into music for Warzone2100.

My question is this:  What kinds of music do people like around here (genres)?  Electronic?  Techno/Trance/Etc?  Industrial?

I need to know what people like.
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

well... maybe a little rap in there for good measure.... warzone 2100 rap.  new genre.... :o

ooooooo i know i know.....  the pipes.  they be a calling again good friend chojun... i think it was you that came up with a bit of a ditty for the pipes... :D