Custom music?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Troman
Trained
Trained

Re: Custom music?

Post by Troman »

Chojun wrote: Well, the semester just ended today and I'm free to make some more music :)

So, here is a little something for Troman.

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~gilmore/modules ... ndPost.mp3

Let me know what you all think.  If you aren't familiar with this track, then check out troman's post toward the beginning of this thread.

BTW, this track isn't finished yet...
I definitely like it, Chojun.

I'm a bit into music myself, just curious if it's still midi or if you used samples.
Is it a distorted electric guitar or keys you took for the melody line? Sounds a bit like guitar at some places, I like that sound. Maybe it is a good idea to make that beautiful sound stand out a bit more.

Another thing: have you tried making it a bit faster, I have a feeling it will create even more tension.

Can't wait for the final version. :)
?topic=1617.0
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

I thought you probably would like it :)

To answer your questions:

It's neither midi nor samples.  And yes, I did use a 6 String double coil electric guitar for the melody.  When I got the track from the game I listened to it very carefully over and over again.  The original track's melody sounded kinda strange by the way they selected instruments for it.  I thought it would sound much better with an electric guitar.  Sounds like you agree :)
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
Radiosity
Greenhorn

Post by Radiosity »

Howdy Choj, long time no see :) Still working on your audio stuff I see, good good :D
michaelb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michaelb »

Hey!
Just thought I'd post to show that I'm still alive.

So, is there a plan yet for actually including music with the next release? Both Chojun and I seem to have contributed quite a few tracks, I'm sure something can be decided upon.

Chojun: I think maybe we should just put our heads together and take the initiative to work out a definitive track-list for the next release, given that we seem to be the two musicians interested in the project. I sent you a PM with contact info.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

michaelb wrote: Hey!

So, is there a plan yet for actually including music with the next release? Both Chojun and I seem to have contributed quite a few tracks, I'm sure something can be decided upon.
The (my) plan is to let the music stunningly arrive with 2.1. This should be somewhere into fall, or at the end of the year. (If time doesn't intervene.)
michaelb wrote: Chojun: I think maybe we should just put our heads together and take the initiative to work out a definitive track-list for the next release, given that we seem to be the two musicians interested in the project. I sent you a PM with contact info.
That's a good idea and I think what is most missing.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Also very important is to explicitly license this under a free license of some sorts, if at all possible one that does not prohibit commercial usage.

Secondly it would be nice to have the music in a lossless format (i.e. not MP3, OggVorbis, etc.) such as WAV, FLAC, etc.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Maybe some people could hunt down some good music at Jamendo.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

explain the reasoning behind the commercial usage thing... is it to places like lan gaming companies to host warzone games, or just to be more compatible with the gpl?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Kamaze: We allready got a _lot_ of really good music. We just need to find the pieces which fit best into Warzone and commit them into SVN.

Giel: I don't understand the commercial thing either. If I would be an artist I would be very much pissed when one day I saw my music on an Album of Some Other Band.
The lossless format is probably most useful when you would want to edit it, which is nearly a no no for music, imo. (Since it is a piece of art, to be seen at the time it is released and not some wip.)
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

kage wrote: explain the reasoning behind the commercial usage thing... is it to places like lan gaming companies to host warzone games, or just to be more compatible with the gpl?
That's exactly it, because if we would distribute it along with warzone then the music would effectively prohibit _all_ of warzone to ever be sold commercially (commercial is any amount of money being paid more than for production&shipping) so even if some company would want to sell warzone for say 5 euro it would be commercial if production&shipping only costed 4. And considering that this (i.e. selling warzone) would probably increase popularity and interest in warzone I wouldn't want to obstruct it. Please bear in mind that I have no problems at all with this if this commercial usage would for example only be allowed as part of warzone.

Btw if people would throw these songs on "Some Other Band's" album then they would _not_ be allowed to claim it is made by "Some Other Band".

Actually I meant lossless so that we can recompress it or something, at least _not_ MP3 to begin with, since conversion of MP3 to OggVorbis is poor, but also conversion of OggVorbis compressed at quality 4 will never get back to quality 8 (these are Vorbis quality levels).

PS It's late now (2:50 after midnight) so I might have written this poorly.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

michaelb wrote: Hey!

Chojun: I think maybe we should just put our heads together and take the initiative to work out a definitive track-list for the next release, given that we seem to be the two musicians interested in the project. I sent you a PM with contact info.
I'm certainly up for it, although I have both hands quite tied up at the moment.

I'd be more than happy to contribute some existing tracks, or even write some new ones.  I must note, though, that the vast majority of my existing tracks could be considered W.I.P.s...  I never really finish any of them, I just move on to new ones...  I'd like to finish them if any should be included in the game, though.
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

About the non-commercial usage thing: It not only prohibits a company selling Warzone, but Linux Distributors selling their distro to include the music.
We want information... information... information.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

cybersphinx wrote: About the non-commercial usage thing: It not only prohibits a company selling Warzone, but Linux Distributors selling their distro to include the music.
that's a grey area... linux distributors, while perfectly welcome to sell linux (and of course the source code that goes with all the gpl software), generally only charge for two (if any) things: the cost of packaging/shipping for on-the-shelf copies, and prepaid tech support contracts. any distros following that trend have no legal encumberance to including music which is free for non-commercial use.

those distributors who sell gpl software for profit cannot, as you say, include the music on the distribution media (though they can put the music on a public ftp server to grab it from during installation, for example). however, almost everyone who uses gpl software in large quantities (as in the case of linux) knows that there's no point in paying for that software when you can get it free elsewhere, and thus such distributions are extremely unpopular amongst the initiated. the only time gpl software is really successfully sold is during the conversion from closed to open source, at which point the owner might sell it to "the community" for a large sum.

in the end, even without the music being available for commercial use, anyone who is able to distribute warzone at all has a fairly low bar to entry for providing or retrieving the music in some way.  that said, i'm not opposed to the commercial-use allowance (especially since i have no music of my own), but i'd like to hear a definite situation where allowing commercial use really improves the distribution potential of the music while still keeping it out of greedy hands.

and to clarify, are we considering the rights to "redistribute in drm-encumbered form" and "reuse in non-free games" to be part of "commercial use"?
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

kage wrote: are we considering the rights to "redistribute in drm-encumbered form" and "reuse in non-free games" to be part of "commercial use"?
If it where my music I would explicitly say no to any form of DRM. I'm not sure about the reuse in non-free games though. I think I would only want to allow reuse in games, or any software, while distributed under an OSI approved license. Which would mean that a closed source derivative of a BSD licensed game would not apply.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

BTW may be not by theme but here is my music.wpl list

Code: Select all

[game]
path=.
shuffle=yes
wz1.ogg
wz3.ogg
wz4.ogg
NEXUS2.mp3
MetroidIntro.mp3
Shaovin.mp3
TWZMain.mp3
3_Ambush.mp3  // dune2k OST
4_Attack.mp3     // dune2k OST
6_Ordos.mp3     // dune2k OST
7_Power.mp3    // dune2k OST
10_Sand.mp3    // dune2k OST
16_Construction.mp3  // dune2k OST

[menu]
path=.
shuffle=yes
wz1.ogg
MetroidIntro.mp3

Dune theme is suits for warzone. If you are interesting in dune OST you can download from my site :) click on my userbar below
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100