New release planning (3.2.4)/ 3.3.0

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: New release planning (3.2.4)/ 3.3.0

Post by pastdue »

Forgon wrote: The display scaling patch has made it impossible for me to use this game. And for how many other users, I wonder?
I'd like some more time to test at least the most popular Linux distributions. Current problems:
  • Window size can no longer be chosen without trickery.
    Previously, it could be set via command line (using the '--resolution' option), config file or in the game (using the 'Video Options' menu).

Now the game maximises the window, overriding the chosen screen resolution. That new resolution can cause the game to crash for anyone sharing my graphics driver.
The game does not maximize the window.

What you are seeing is because of your tiling window manager. The Warzone window now permits the system to size it. Since it's marked as resizable, tiling window managers (like i3) will tile the window as your window manager settings specify. Other window managers, like the default on Windows or macOS or Ubuntu, won't.

So, like any other resizable window, instruct your window manager on what to do / not do with it. (Or, of course, a non-tiling window manager shouldn't attempt to reposition / resize the window like that.)
Forgon wrote:
  • In windowed mode, the screen resolution can no longer be changed in the 'Video Options' menu, which is a terrible and illogical UX choice. Instead, the user should be informed that applying a new resolution will require a restart -- if the operating systems is affected by resizing problems in the first place.
@per recommended in IRC to disable the button when in this state and add a tooltip explaining that the user can change the window size by resizing the window (dragging the edge / corner), so a patch is ready with that suggested change:

https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/pull/120
Forgon wrote:
  • Fullscreen resolutions can also no longer be chosen freely: Any resolution not in the list of recommended resolutions will be overruled by a false "default resolution" of 640x480 pixels.
I presume this is when you are attempting to specify a fullscreen resolution via command-line options?
Forgon wrote:
  • The game now crashes when failing a mission, as Berserk Cyborg has just discovered (read this post)
Already fixed in: https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... 203202fe38
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

I have rearranged the research tree according to the issue in ticket #666. Basically, it wants the sensor turrets to appear before the towers. The towers (CB, vtolCB, strike, wide-spectrum, and nexus link) depend on having the hardened sensor tower researched for them to be available in the research tabs in addition to the turret. Additionally, EMP cannon does not require the uplink (Nexus link turret dependency only).

For those who want to give it a test I attached a patch and a mod. Or we could simply say that ticket is wrong and close it.
0001-MP-Sensor-turrets-come-before-the-tower-for-research.patch
resChange.wz
Fire Truck
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fire Truck »

MIH-XTC wrote:No such weapon becomes more accurate at longer ranges.
This isn't strictly true. Anti-Tank missiles have something called deadzone where they are either completely unusable or incredibly inaccurate. It takes some time for the guidance system to stabilize the missile, before this happens the missile is unguided and of dubious accuracy. Some older models even have to be fired up into the air giving them an absolute minimum range where the missile cannot be used at all.

So where most weapons are would have an accuracy profile something like 10-5-2, Direct fire guided missiles would have a accuracy profile like 2-10-5.

Every generation of missile technology has reduced this deadzone, so it's conceivable that it has been completely eliminated by the time Warzone takes place.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

We need a Apply button for resolution options. So when you click iterating available one, so it wont blink each time you click - cause its very enoying. It should be - found the one you need and clicked applym than its changed.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

Terminator wrote:We need a Apply button for resolution options. So when you click iterating available one, so it wont blink each time you click - cause its very enoying. It should be - found the one you need and clicked applym than its changed.
I disagree. The resolution change should be applied immediately just like the other options.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Forgon wrote: I disagree. The resolution change should be applied immediately just like the other options.
try to change res. in fullscreen and if you have about 10-15 available resolution list.

Or if not a button make a dialog menu - that will ask to change res after exiting from video option like "Resolution was changed Apply it now ?"

Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

Terminator wrote:
Forgon wrote: I disagree. The resolution change should be applied immediately just like the other options.
try to change res. in fullscreen and if you have about 10-15 available resolution list.

Or if not a button make a dialog menu - that will ask to change res after exiting from video option like "Resolution was changed Apply it now ?"
I wonder whether we are trying to solve the wrong problem.

Assuming that a typical user does not need to change the screen resolution more often than once, the game should by default run with the highest resolution and display scaling available. Implementing this reliably will require a few bugfixes, but is doable.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

Defaulting to the highest display scaling available is a complete deviation from prior behavior and also from recommendations on most operating systems.

In the future, we could default to high-DPI support that matches the current display. This already works on macOS, but we need to wait on fixes / changes in the upcoming SDL 2.1 to properly support this on Windows.

(In fact, the way this works is that high-DPI support is handled by the SDL layer, and then the display scaling value is an additional optional scaling on top of that that the user can configure. In any case, we should not be defaulting to the highest possible, and once SDL's Windows high-DPI support is available, defaulting to 100% will yield the proper behavior.)

On the fullscreen resolution switches:

A UI tweak to support a list of resolutions to pick from is a good suggestion (but will take some work, and has its own quirks - like how we handle failures to switch resolution).
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

pastdue wrote:Defaulting to the highest display scaling available is a complete deviation from prior behavior and also from recommendations on most operating systems. [...]
I concede that this is no good idea.
I suggested it because while display scaling is the best UX improvement of version 3.3, it will probably never be discovered by most users unless enabled by default.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Forgon wrote:Assuming that a typical user does not need to change the screen resolution more often than once
ok may be you right.

Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

Berserk Cyborg wrote:I have rearranged the research tree according to the issue in ticket #666. Basically, it wants the sensor turrets to appear before the towers. The towers (CB, vtolCB, strike, wide-spectrum, and nexus link) depend on having the hardened sensor tower researched for them to be available in the research tabs in addition to the turret. Additionally, EMP cannon does not require the uplink (Nexus link turret dependency only). [...]
Is there any reason you have not pushed that change to master? I would like you to do so.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Forgon wrote: Is there any reason you have not pushed that change to master? I would like you to do so.
Done in 7487247ead349a9a497ad75e74d634e080a0d58c. I try to wait for feedback before pushing changes like this. Should I push my ecm range upgrades too?
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

Berserk Cyborg wrote:[...] Should I push my ecm range upgrades too?
Yes. Please don't forget to update the ChangeLog, which is unfortunately out of date once again.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

How about to make a beta for public release with announcement ? I bet player very struggle between 3.1.5 & 3.2.3. I've been playing master recently, its a quite stable as for me.