Creating custom audio files

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Creating custom audio files

Post by aubergine »

I've been considering adding some custom audio files to the AI I'm developing (I needed a break from coding!!) and was wondered if anyone has done this before?

I looked through the game files and found that there are actually quite a lot of audio files, some of which I'd never heard before. However, if I want a specific set of audio files, I'm still going to have to record my own at some point. Problem is, I have the most boring voice in the known universe!

To that end, I went hunting on my iPhone on the assumption that there might be an app for that :) And, there is! (sort of)... Voices app - it applies some weird effects to your voice, so possibly a simple way to create some audio files.

I've no idea how to then convert those files to .ogg format yet, but imagine there will be plenty of tools for that as .ogg is open source format.

Has anyone else tried this sort of thing before, and if so what did you use and did it work well?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: Creating custom audio files

Post by Berg »

I just used the default sound recorder in Ubuntu and it saves in ogg
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Member Chojun has done the most extensive modification of WZ's sounds ever & he's always been open to sharing his expertise since way back.

Alright then. :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Arreon
Trained
Trained

Post by Arreon »

I'm an audio designer for a game called Might and Magic X. Though I'm still learning the ropes, I've made a lot of sound effects for the game already.

Here are a few:

http://www.freesound.org/people/Autistic%20Lucario/

What kind of audio files are you looking to use for your AI? If it's something similar to the Project computer voice, then I'll see if I can do something like that.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Arreon wrote:What kind of audio files are you looking to use for your AI? If it's something similar to the Project computer voice, then I'll see if I can do something like that.
I can think of all sorts of audio sounds that could be used in the entire game and not just the AI, mostly involving voice responses. Interested? :D
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Arreon
Trained
Trained

Post by Arreon »

As long as I don't have to do anything too dramatic, I'm interested. :) Keep it "computer talk" like the official WZ computer voice.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

We all know it needs a womans voice
Arreon
Trained
Trained

Post by Arreon »

Berg wrote:We all know it needs a womans voice
Not sure if I qualify for that XD
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

get your girlfriend/mum/wife/daughter to help
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

In terms of sounds for my AI, I don't have a defined list of what's needed at the moment. I was just doing some early testing to see if I could make them myself (but not very successfully).

If the Javascript API exposes features for communicating with other players via in-game chat I'll probably start thinking more about what sort of audio is needed. For skirmish games I'd like my AI to be able to announce warnings and other things to the human player via audio and text. I'm also planning on having a load of taunts, but not sure if I'd be able to get them to play in MP games as I think the AI can only interact with the human player on the computer where the AI is running :s
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Im getting a little excited to see this up and running
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Take MARY TTS for a night out. :shock: She can be very accommodating and is of exotic "Javanese" descent. :lol2:

(Seriously, check it out. It's quite versatile outta the box & FOSS to boot. :3 )

- Say hey, Rman. :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

I already have a text to speach bot on irc My initial suggestion to aubergine was use a os.system call to espeak or other text to speach ...
He pointed out os.calls was a bad idea and i agree
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Berg wrote:I already have a text to speach bot on irc My initial suggestion to aubergine was use a os.system call to espeak or other text to speach ...
He pointed out os.calls was a bad idea and i agree
Sounds like there is zero connection here to having created a sound file with MARY or am mistaken and you did so ?

I have. Many. Have made use of them too. This is not pure speculation on my end. MARY is not just some irc speech bot nor am I proposing an os.system call.

IBMs Big Blue chess prog is absolutley NOT the same as the chess proggy on my phone - though they both play chess.

The scientific method is a good thing. Try it. :3

Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

I looked at the link and only read text to speach... so if it do more maybe I dont understand