[DEVELOPMENT] Campaign 4 Development Thread

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
WZGroupie
New user

Re: [DEVELOPMENT] Campaign 4 Development Thread

Post by WZGroupie »

Hello All -

I have been following the development of this 4th Campaign on WZ and find your work admirable, the drive to keep the campaign mode alive is quite apparant. I have some experiance (albeit self taught) with scripting and coding and would like to offer my hand if needed.

I know that this project can take loads of time and effort commitments and being open-source and a labour of love more than anything else, all of us need to make financial ends meet so spare time may be limited. That being said, I will be happy to offer some assistance where you see fit, whether it be scripting, QA Testing, etc. I am willing to start small and that way you can see how things go.

I have enjoyed this game from the time it was released, then I put it down for several years and just recently realized the party was still alive, my immediate reaction was how can I help, and then I found this thread and I am very interested in lending a hand.

Let me know how I can help.

Ken
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

I simply reinstalled Windows for it.

Anyway, good news -- Mission 4 finally works. Of course, getting swarmed by 60+ Nexus Flashlights is a little excessive. :lol2: Scavengers are doing everything we're asking them to (thanks for the help with that, Milo :) )

I'll tune it for balance, make sure everything works, and upload when it's ready.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Alrighty Milo, here it is. (Cam 4-4)

.wz file and uncompiled map are included with the core files. There's a couple of things I couldn't get working, maybe you'll have better luck. Lots of comments throughout too, especially in the problem areas.

The .wz is standalone and completely playable. Yes, there's missing tiles -- I'm using my AZ-Extended set for the road corners and LZ spots. Won't affect gameplay in the slightest. This .wz uses the 2.3.x base. I'll make the extended tilesets available *early* if there's a serious need for them, otherwise I'll release them with the Cam-4 Beta package (when we get to Beta).

Feel free to critique my code too. It's a little messy but it works.

EDIT: Descriptiveness and more info.

Download it here (7.53mb)
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

And onward. Cam 4-5 and 4-6 have their work folders. 4-6 is my workload for the next few days. 4-5 is easy and won't require any shenanigans, so I'll do that one next week. Mainly because I can test 4-6 as standalone and work out the kinks -- but 4-4 was a real learning experience and 4-6 should go MUCH more smoothly and quickly.

Milo, I plan to have you check all my code as I submit it. That way Cam 4 Development hogs less of your time (since I know you're very busy with other projects) and you aren't doing all of the scripting yourself. :P
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Ok Milo (and brave alpha testers!), a (nearly) fully-working Mission 6 -- WITH the ability to build stuff (in fact, it's part of the mission!). All it needs are the integration bits to make it part of the campaign and the Objective Beacons (which Milo will have to do, since I can't figure out how :P )

The objective of this Mission is to build 8 defensive structures at each of the six Scavenger bases. Five of these bases are NODE-Protected (and thus, allied to you). The Sixth Base (northwest corner) is contested. Nexus patrols the area and will not leave quietly. Power *is* a problem on this one.

As with Mission 4, this is completely playable on its' own.

Download here (16.73 mb)

Why so large? Because it's got the Extended Tilesets included in the .wz , ready to go.

Here's the separate download for them. Just merge them into your base.wz , and overwrite as necessary. Made for 2.3.x branch, obviously.

Download them here (14.38 mb)

Let me know if there are any problems. :)

Onward! Actually, backward, since I need to work on Mission 5 now .. hehe.

[EDIT] - Descriptiveness again. Ugh..
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

I've had a breakthrough and will be going over M4 and M6 to finish up their Objective Beacons as well as the missing features in the scripts. Expect a major update to all Missions and maps in the next few days, as time allows for me to work on them.

:)
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

Here's the updated package with mission 3 Sorry about being gone...
I'll try to integrate more missions soon

Thanks for the help
Attachments
cam4 pkg.7z
mission 3 works, mission 4 needs work :-p I'll be done soon
(457.34 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Nothing to it Milo. :) I'm absolutely HOOKED on scripting now. M4 and M6 are done minus a few bits of fine-tuning. M1 is (if you can believe it) BETA quality now with lots of new little doodads and things. All those three need are some Milo-approved finishing touches and they'll be considered "complete" except for the new audio.

I'm reworking M2's Script. The mission hasn't changed -- I've just gone and made it a little more "busy" is all. :P

Glad M3 is good to go. I have a fresh map compile for that one.

I have fresh compiles for all maps. Lots of fixes and little aesthetic changes here and there, but nothing major, except for M8 (yes, M8 again). I'm still not happy with that map.
NEXUS Destruction
Trained
Trained

Post by NEXUS Destruction »

With the campaign, we would need to make new video cutscenes to satisfy the players with the new campaign :annoyed: :!!!:
Windows 7 Home Premium & Mac OS X
Computer 1: intel Pentium Dual-Core 2.66 Ghz Processor, Nvidia Ge-Force 9600GT & 3GB RAM
Computer 2:Mid-2010 Model 27" iMac (intel Core i3 3.2Ghz Dual-Core Processor, ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB & 4GB RAM)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

NEXUS Destruction wrote:With the campaign, we would need to make new video cutscenes to satisfy the players with the new campaign :annoyed: :!!!:
you know. someone could always do the cutscenes ingame. ie: all of the grunt and jumps do this to some extent. i did some proof of concepts ... it does work. patience is needed.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Cutscenes and finishing the custom audio will be the final things that get done.

As far as the in-game FMV's and stuff goes, we have options on what to do. Rman suggested that we use Machinima (which in turn is driven by the game engine itself, fitting in with what lav_coyote has suggested we do).

We also have the Art Revolution Team, whom have already done some test footage pieces (not specifically for Cam 4) as a proof-of-concept. Lot on their plate already, though, with the model overhaul going on.

We'll get it figured out, I'm sure. :)

Anyway, little status update: Missions are scripted up to M7 now. They're Beta quality at current. Once all scripts have been made, we then turn to bugfixing and make them Release Candidate quality.

After that phase, it's finishing up the audio and making cutscenes -- and we'll have a release candidate for everyone to test out. :)
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

I finally found the internet time to download all the stuff goth posted so I hope to integrate a few more mission soon :)

A word of warning: Any new scripts I write will have three files a xlo a slo and a vlo. The vlo and slo will be generated with WZScript Extender (which is part of the VLOGen package posted in this subforum) any edits should be to the xlo which is then used to regenerate the other files.
But for now it looks like Goth is going to be writing the scripts and me polishing and integrating them :)

I think I need to work faster, you're making me look bad Goth XD
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Oooh.. an .xlo? :D I think it's time for me to check out said VLOGen. :D

And we have a script extender too? Like OBSE?! WOOT!

I have a feature request then -- Can we *please* get the ability for VLOGen to generate messages and Prox? I've been hand-editing them, and for some reason it works one day and refuses to the next. For example, I recompile the campaign.wz for new changes to other scripts and suddenly M1 won't work, with the error log saying that it can't find a message -- even though it IS there and worked the night before.

I have no problem manually adding beacon coordinates into the program (that would be the best way, in fact). But there's gotta be a better way to do messages and proximity stuff.

As for making you look bad? Hells bells man, you got ME working faster. The credit is still all yours. :P
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Seems I misunderstood what VLOGen was about. Heh. :P

Back to da code.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Alrighty. Got my problems with the Prox messages sorted out. We really should make a wiki of building a Warzone 2100 campaign. :lol2: Lot of stuff we've had to figure out through trial and error.

Moving right along. In order to accommodate certain technical challenges (such as not having the ability to move units to another map via a script other than a Transporter, which isn't appropriate before M7), I've gone ahead and integrated M4 and M6 onto the main map. How is this possible? An idea I had some time ago about making the best use of our 250x250 map area.

You guys will love it. I already do. All that was required (still in progress) was changing coordinates in the scripts and making sure things are how they're supposed to be (no duplicate structures, etc). I've solved a TON of errors in the log, in so doing.

Mission specs have been changed ever so slightly to make it work -- and work it does. M3 will last a little longer since there are now three main areas to deal with AND I've integrated parts of M5 into it. M5 will still be M5, but a little more direct than before.

The map is now quite unique compared to the previous iterations. Everything has now worked out as designed, and several technical hurdles were overcome. The map is pretty rich, now.

I've gone over the scripts (so far, M1 and M2 are done, M3 is almost done) and applied the changed to the coordinates. M4 and M6 need to be updated (and I'll do that this evening, along with finishing up the "user-friendly" protions). M5 hasn't been written yet but it's stubs are in place and should be pretty straightforward. M7 onward hasn't been done yet in any capacity.

I expect to have a Preview up for everyone to sink their teeth into by early next week. This will contain Missions 1-6.

Onward! :D