Creating models with GMAX for Warzone?

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
xXPhoenixXx
Greenhorn

Creating models with GMAX for Warzone?

Post by xXPhoenixXx »

Hi,
I've already used Google and the forum search, but I didn't find anything. So I ask here.
Are there any tutorials how to name the 'bones' in GMAX for buildings and for units? I've read this Creating3DContent page, but I didn't really understand it. It would be nice if someone can explain it to me.
Are there any Plugins for GMAX to import/export PIE-models?

Thanks!
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Re: Creating models with GMAX for Warzone?

Post by Safety0ff »

If you can export to .3ds or .obj, or anything compatible with Blender then it can be converted.
zamaszysty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zamaszysty »

http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/gmax/ ... to-max.php
It's also possible, using the gmax2obj export script to save models from gmax as OBJ formatted objects. To learn more about this process read the gmax to obj tutorial here.
In other words:
I's possible to export GMAX models to .obj format, so it means You can make models for warzone in GMAX. Or at least You can make models anyhow usefull for the team ;)
xXPhoenixXx
Greenhorn

Post by xXPhoenixXx »

Okay, thank you both. Now my last question is which names the bones have to get. I mean, what name should the wheels get, the place for the turret(s), etc. ...
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

xXPhoenixXx wrote:Okay, thank you both. Now my last question is which names the bones have to get. I mean, what name should the wheels get, the place for the turret(s), etc. ...
It doesn't matter.
xXPhoenixXx
Greenhorn

Post by xXPhoenixXx »

But how does the game know where to place the selected turret if I don't have to name anything?
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

There is a lot of info about the game Model Format PIE here http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/PIE_models
In warzone the baseplate...gun mount...and gun are seperate model files and in these pie files CONNECTORS are points added to the data for the placement position of each seperate part then the code handles the placing
zamaszysty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zamaszysty »

Ok so in that case ... shouldn't the 3DS 2 PIE converter work with gmax ? Its basicaly based on normal 3DSmax, so plugins for it might be working with it ...i have no idea ofc, and its just a guess, because i never used GMAX. (3DS Max ftw :P)
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

If you have the source there is a folder called tools it contains many converters for a greate many formats 3d2pie obj2pie also there is a model viewer/converter made by Safety0ff which I use to convert obj to pie in the tools folder.
I have no idea about GMAX so I am of little help in that area.