Fastplay Replacement Tutorials

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Fastplay Replacement Tutorials

Post by milo christiansen » 01 Dec 2010, 22:00

After a lot of work, here they are: in-depth tutorials for replacing the fastplay mission.
Fastplay Tutorial Basics.zip
Basics Tutorial 1.1
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 293 times
Fastplay Tutorial Intermediate.zip
Intermediate Tutorial 1.1
(95.35 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Both tutorials come with a .wz file that has the mod as it should look after the tutorial is finished. The intermediate tutorial builds off of the basics tutorial so you will probably want to download both.

Anyone who has a suggestion or finds a typo please post it here so I can fix it, thank you.
Last edited by milo christiansen on 03 Dec 2010, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual

cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Re: Fastplay Replacement Tutorials

Post by cybersphinx » 01 Dec 2010, 22:23

milo christiansen wrote:Anyone who has a suggestion or finds a typo please post it here so I can fix it, thank you.
Suggestion: Don't use a monospace font for normal text (and make paragraphs justified instead of left-aligned).

Edit: Actually, you could put it in the wiki, that would make it more accessible to people.

milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen » 01 Dec 2010, 22:36

cybersphinx wrote:and make paragraphs justified instead of left-aligned
Good idea! :P

About the wiki... Not quite yet, I want to make a few changes first, but other wise a good idea.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil » 02 Dec 2010, 16:55

Hands down the best tut for creating new WZ missions ever written. The hard work is evident to me but what you have done is make it about as easy as is possible for a rank novice to get the hang of it and that to me is where the hard work becomes invisible making for a superlative achievement. There are many things about creating WZ mods that fall under the heading of a PITA and creating new CAM Missions is, IMO, at the top of the list for all sorts of reasons (not least being debugging scripts because parsing is so unforgiving of the slightest oversight.... Niker's "VSC" proggy was very helpful here. "VSC" = Vlo-Slo Compiler).

Might I recommend a change in your heading Fastplay Replacement Tutorials to Fastplay Replacement Tuts: Creating New CAM Missions. I say this because I do not think most understand that the FastPlay structure essentially allows for the creation of New Campaign Missions that is much more creation friendly than the CAM structure itself and that connection is essential for peeps to truly appreciate the value of all of this work you have done.

- Regards, RV :hmm:

milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen » 03 Dec 2010, 21:19

@Rman Virgil: Thank you.

I updated the tutorials a little to make them easier to read and added some info I forgot on how to make fastplay missions use tile-sets other than arizona. Check first post for download.

I am also working on a version to copy/paste into the wiki.
- Demigod Game Ganual

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil » 07 Dec 2010, 15:43

milo christiansen wrote:@Rman Virgil: Thank you.

I updated the tutorials a little to make them easier to read and added some info I forgot on how to make fastplay missions use tile-sets other than arizona. Check first post for download.

I am also working on a version to copy/paste into the wiki.
And thank YOU.... your 1st class work here has inspired me to a new project I am quite excited about called Scav-Borg Wars. :)

- RV :hmm:

Wibble199
Trained
Trained

Post by Wibble199 » 03 Jan 2011, 15:16

Great work! Thankyou so much for your time and effort hta went into creating these tuts
It won't be long before I try this :D

NEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by NEXUS » 16 Jan 2011, 16:42

Cool, I did something like this a while back, but never released it...Great job, hopefully now more people can make new Campaign mods. :)
My nicknames - Mattbrit -> TankMaster -> Dr Reed -> ??? :)

milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen » 18 Jan 2011, 18:07

Seeing someone post in this tread just reminded me, I need to do the wiki version.
So many projects so little time. :wink:
- Demigod Game Ganual