flaME -- The Warzone 2100 Map Editor [pre 1.10 thread]

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Flail13
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: flaME -- The Warzone 2100 Map Editor

Post by Flail13 »

A couple of questions for anyone who knows...

1. If a new version of a map is made, does it need to always have a unique name?

2. flaME is only allowing letters and numbers in map names. Should it also allow hyphens, underscores and any others?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Currently you have to put an oil resource on the same tile as the oil derrick.
I see! The oil derrick is a power resource module! o.O
I've never placed extra oil below the derricks, and everything worked fine.
m1ndgames
Trained
Trained

Post by m1ndgames »

yay, updated my graphics driver and flame works again -.-
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

flaME -- The Warzone 2100 Map Editor

Post by Merowingg »

Well I cannot download the flaME yet, becuse I am still waiting for my PC to be repaired..

But It seems that 1 08 have still some errors ??

When I asked about craftsman tool I meant the best and secured :)

I want to know that I can push it to its extremes like it was with flaME 1 2 I had always worked with..

Any sugestions about the flaME series ?? 3 4 5 6 7 ?? 8 ??

Bye Gentlemen :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

But It seems that 1 08 have still some errors ??

When I asked about craftsman tool I meant the best and secured :)
Heh. It's not errors, it's just steadily evolving ;) The newer versions are better anyway. Warzone has quite a few errors too ;)
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Ok lets assume that those are not errors :)

And I realise that it is evolving and we mapmakers contribute to it..

Ok If you Hao say that newer versions are better, I will soon have one :)

do they differ very much ?? 1 8 from 1 2 ... ??

And Warzone has no errors :) The Matrix has errors but not Warzone :)

And now seriously.. I know that behind the courtains many of great people are working hard to make it perfect..

Bye :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Flail13 wrote:A couple of questions for anyone who knows...

1. If a new version of a map is made, does it need to always have a unique name?

2. flaME is only allowing letters and numbers in map names. Should it also allow hyphens, underscores and any others?
That depends, if both archives have the same unique name, then it will load only the first map it finds, since it can't tell the difference. The unique name is the only thing it knows about the map.

I guess it is ok to allow underscores and hyphens, but I haven't tested this, I don't think there will be any issues. :hmm:
and it ends here.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

[offtopic]
The Matrix has errors but not Warzone :)
Yeah, damn cheater Neo ...[/offtopic]
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Post by KenAlcock »

Buginator wrote:
Flail13 wrote:A couple of questions for anyone who knows...

That depends, if both archives have the same unique name, then it will load only the first map it finds, since it can't tell the difference. The unique name is the only thing it knows about the map.

I guess it is ok to allow underscores and hyphens, but I haven't tested this, I don't think there will be any issues. :hmm:
Just out of curiosity, what would happen if the following sequential events took place?
  1. Map maker creates a map named say 8c-SomeMap.wz.
  2. Map maker hosts a MP game with map named 8c-SomeMap.wz.
  3. Players join the MP game and download map 8c-SomeMap.wz.
  4. Map maker goes back to the drawing board (flaME) and updates map 8c-SomeMap.wz, changing some terrain, features, structures, and units.
  5. Map maker recompiles map, which is still named 8c-SomeMap.wz.
  6. Map maker hosts another game with the now updated version of the map named 8c-SomeMap.wz.
  7. Some of the same players join the second MP game where the host is using the updated version of map 8c-SomeMap.wz, but the players still have the old version in their maps subfolder.

Q1: Does Warzone perform any checking of the map version, checksum, or some other metric?

Q2: If Warzone does not perform any checking in this regard, what happens in-game when the host map is different from some of the clients?

Q3: If Warzone does perform checking in this regard, will it download the host version of the map, and discard the player's version?
My game handle is Cosmic Raven or Cosmic Raven 68
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

KenAlcock wrote: Just out of curiosity, what would happen if the following sequential events took place?
  1. Map maker creates a map named say 8c-SomeMap.wz.
  2. Map maker hosts a MP game with map named 8c-SomeMap.wz.
  3. Players join the MP game and download map 8c-SomeMap.wz.
  4. Map maker goes back to the drawing board (flaME) and updates map 8c-SomeMap.wz, changing some terrain, features, structures, and units.
  5. Map maker recompiles map, which is still named 8c-SomeMap.wz.
  6. Map maker hosts another game with the now updated version of the map named 8c-SomeMap.wz.
  7. Some of the same players join the second MP game where the host is using the updated version of map 8c-SomeMap.wz, but the players still have the old version in their maps subfolder.

Q1: Does Warzone perform any checking of the map version, checksum, or some other metric?

Q2: If Warzone does not perform any checking in this regard, what happens in-game when the host map is different from some of the clients?

Q3: If Warzone does perform checking in this regard, will it download the host version of the map, and discard the player's version?
The way warzone works is, it looks for the unique name, if it can't find it, then it requests the map from the host.
Currently, it does a file size check, and that is all, it will then overwrite the old map with the new map, as long as the maps have the same external name if the file size is different.
If it does find the unique name, then.. well, yeah, Houston, we have a problem.
Yeah, this needs to be improved upon. :stressed:
and it ends here.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

One question: Is there a "Fill Selection" option?
Flail13
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Flail13 »

Kuky, no there isn't. Do you need it? Is there a situation where you cant just paint another terrain around where you want to fill?

I have another question for the devs...

Someone has requested info from me on how to put an artifact onto a multiplayer map. Do you have any objections to maps with scripts in them? and will they function correctly in multiplayer? From what I've tried so far they work in skirmish, except when the speed in increased above 1.5. In that case enableResearch doesn't seem to work.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Hmm, i think i have another feature request (:
Challenges.

I think it's possible to include a challenge editor within flaME, so that anyone could bundle challenges with their maps like i did.

Technically, it all boils down to adding an extra "challenges" folder inside the map archive, and put some plain and simple .ini files into it.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Flail13 wrote:Kuky, no there isn't. Do you need it? Is there a situation where you cant just paint another terrain around where you want to fill?
Well, when I do that it takes much more time then making a selection, and there is 1 tile distance between the textures.
When I think about it more, a 'Lock Selection' option which would prvent any editing out of the selection would be better.
hao wrote:Hmm, i think i have another feature request (:
Challenges.

I think it's possible to include a challenge editor within flaME, so that anyone could bundle challenges with their maps like i did.

Technically, it all boils down to adding an extra "challenges" folder inside the map archive, and put some plain and simple .ini files into it.
It is, and I would prefer a simple GUI for making and automatically including those INI files rather then writing them myself in Notepad and placing them into the map archive.

I also have a new idea which could also be useful to some people: Rotation mode.
This would be a mode in which all tiles would be replaced with images indicating the rotation of map tiles, and that rotation could be changed simply like textures.
Arreon
Trained
Trained

Post by Arreon »

There's a WZ site Terminator showed me that contains a lot of WZ content. In that content is a functional campaign editor. Flail, you should update your map editor so it can support campaign missions. :)

Here's the site I got it from:

http://warzone2100.net/down.htm
Attachments
wzcampaignedit.PNG
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM