How to replace pie files in regular game?

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: How to replace pie files in regular game?

Post by DevUrandom »

PIESlicer comes with it's own textures which have to be used. They are in PCX format.
Warzone however has it's textures in PNG format.
So you need to make it .pcx when working with PIESlicer, but .png when using them in Warzone.
Azraiel
Trained
Trained

Post by Azraiel »

Does the file reference inside of the PIE file  , or whatever, need to be changed? I have the texpage file that I used to make the textures on the model in the texpage folder in the warzone directory as .png. Is this the same problem with trying to open the games pie files with pie slicer, but in reverse?
Azraiel
Trained
Trained

Post by Azraiel »

OK. I figured it out and it works now. It is what I thought. Thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

However, the model in game looks nothing like it does in pie slicer, why is that?
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Azraiel wrote: OK. I figured it out and it works now. It is what I thought. Thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

However, the model in game looks nothing like it does in pie slicer, why is that?
Extually they should look the same except for some texture problems. In Pie slicer some textures appear transparent while they actually sghould not be. If this is what you mean just keep in mind that every pixel that's not flashy green will be rendered in warzone.
Azraiel
Trained
Trained

Post by Azraiel »

No thats not what it is. I made a simple camo texture. In PIE slicer, it looks fine. However, in warzone, it is horribly smeared and looks almost like sh*t brown.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Azraiel wrote: No thats not what it is. I made a simple camo texture. In PIE slicer, it looks fine. However, in warzone, it is horribly smeared and looks almost like sh*t brown.
maybe bigger and more detailed texture page will help,since current textures are stretched badly in game due to their relatively small size.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Watermelon wrote: maybe bigger and more detailed texture page will help,since current textures are stretched badly in game due to their relatively small size.
Yes but they are stretched the same way in pie slicer. are all the vertices (points) still in their right position or are they also changed? If nothing's wrong with that then it looks like warzone is reading the textyure data from the wrong texpage.
Azraiel
Trained
Trained

Post by Azraiel »

Yes, it was the wrong texpage. I gave the one I was using the same number as another one already there, and it used the one already there as the texture for my body design heh.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Azraiel wrote: Yes, it was the wrong texpage. I gave the one I was using the same number as another one already there, and it used the one already there as the texture for my body design heh.
You should not name custom texture pages in the "page-123" style.
Use "azraiel_cool-body" or similar instead. (Prefix with your name or the name of the mod and use a sensible description after that.)
Texpage names in 2.0 are not allowed to be longer than 64 chars. Anything more and you will get an illegal write or segfault.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

DevUrandom wrote: Anything more and you will get an illegal write or segfault.
uh... checks and debug messages are a lot nicer than segfaults...
Azraiel
Trained
Trained

Post by Azraiel »

When I give it a unique name like that, it causes a crash. I read the stderr file, and it says it needs to be preloaded into the wrf, how do I do this?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

You need to add a line similar to

Code: Select all

file        TEXPAGE "azraiel_cool-body.png"
to following files:

Code: Select all

wrf/frontend.wrf
wrf/vidmem.wrf
wrf/vidmem2.wrf
wrf/vidmem3.wrf
Azraiel
Trained
Trained

Post by Azraiel »

great thanks
--
OK, I added the you gave to the files you listed, but it gives me the same error still.
Last edited by DevUrandom on 13 Apr 2007, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

When do you get that error?
If it happens when loading a map, then the issue is that you forgot to edit the .wrf files in mp/wrf/
(Actually it should even be sufficient to add them only to mp/wrf/, as long as the pie's are also only in mp/wrf/)
Azraiel
Trained
Trained

Post by Azraiel »

Ah ok. Thank you once again. Didn't realize there is a difference between single player and multiplayer.