Where to find a PIE editor?

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Re: Where to get PIE editor?

Post by psychopompos »

the thing with blender, it will seem easier to get going on windows, as it installs via an exe.
pieslicer/toaster... doesnt seem to do that.
MOTHERBOARD - MSI P7N PLATINUM¦-¦PROCESSOR - C2D E7300 @ 4.00GHZ
MEMORY - 4 Gig (2x2gig) ddr2 1066mhz¦-¦OPERATING SYSTEM - WINDOWS 7 (ULT)
GRAPHICS - BFG GTX 260 OCX (requires ForceWare drivers for good openGL)
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

i have had the... pleasure... of using the 3dsmax plugin. it wasn't bad, but it needs some work, as there are most definitely bugs -- essentially, you do you work in 3dsmax, export it to pie, and notice that about 5% of the points got rounded in the wrong direction (and it didn't appear deterministic). it did get to the point where it took much much less time to build several-hundred-poly models in pie slicer from the ground up than to make a 3dsmax-exported pie look right.  however, that's a minor issue (probably just a single bug hidden somewhere), and the only other problem i remember is that sometimes it neglected to export some polys.
HCN-Trooper
Trained
Trained

Post by HCN-Trooper »

Maybe a Google sketchup Plugin could be made for modelling/texturing PIE models...it's really easy to handle...and is there a manner to export SU(SU has some 3d export modules)  models to wz terrain?
MetalBeast
Trained
Trained

Post by MetalBeast »

The link to the vb6-sourcecode doesn't work, where I can get it?

Anyway I can't open any pie-file in the PIESlicerDX.
I get "wrong-file format" error, any ideas?
Last edited by MetalBeast on 09 Mar 2008, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

kage wrote: i have had the... pleasure... of using the 3dsmax plugin. it wasn't bad, but it needs some work, as there are most definitely bugs -- essentially, you do you work in 3dsmax, export it to pie, and notice that about 5% of the points got rounded in the wrong direction (and it didn't appear deterministic). it did get to the point where it took much much less time to build several-hundred-poly models in pie slicer from the ground up than to make a 3dsmax-exported pie look right.  however, that's a minor issue (probably just a single bug hidden somewhere), and the only other problem i remember is that sometimes it neglected to export some polys.
Makes you wonder if the plugin that the released, was the latest version or not.  Somehow I don't picture them fixing everything up by hand.
and it ends here.
Hollowman
Greenhorn

Post by Hollowman »

What can i use for vista?
It seems that pieslicer won't work even with the needed ocx files.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Hollowman wrote: What can i use for vista?
It seems that pieslicer won't work even with the needed ocx files.
Unsure.  Try XP compat. mode, and see if it works then.

I don't think any of the devs have vista to test anything on, and this program is really old, and nobody could get it to compile with the newer versions of the compiler.

Might be better to just use blender & or 3ds max with the plugins/scripts.
and it ends here.
Hollowman
Greenhorn

Post by Hollowman »

i see..i will use blender then, looking forward to make some thight models for possible next releases...
rush2049
Trained
Trained

Post by rush2049 »

Just as a wrap up for anyone who has questions, pieslicerDX 112 or 86 won't run on vista. Garrentied, it just won't. With the VB6 runtime and ocx files it still won't. The only way I saw was possibly messing with the source to make it once again recompile, but with all the converter scripts from 3dx and blender I don't think it is worth it, but it still holds some warm fuzzyies in my heart from back in the day. (i designed many a body types and weapons in it)
Phoenix666
Trained
Trained

Post by Phoenix666 »

I have a problem with PIE slicer?
i download old version and upgrade for it
if i try to use old version then PIE write "wrong file format" (PieSlicer_DX_v082_Full)
if i try to use upgraded version then program doesnot work and write"runtime error "13" type dismatch" (PieSlicer_DX_v112_Update_For_v082)

Please help
Phoenix666
Trained
Trained

Post by Phoenix666 »

Some help me with Blender!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know how to install Scripts!!!
i have Blender 2.46!
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

You can use almost any 3D program, and export to either OBJ or 3DS formats that can be converted into PIE files with appropriate utilities that ship with current development snapshots of warzone.
mcdebugger
Trained
Trained

Post by mcdebugger »

Phoenix666 wrote:Some help me with Blender!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know how to install Scripts!!!
i have Blender 2.46!
You just need to place all scripts in scripts directory.
On windows it may be found in the dir with blender.exe
On POSIX you may look it in /usr/share/blender/ , /usr/local/share/blender or the other used in your distro or chosen on compile/installation time.
Black NEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by Black NEXUS »

I have not so completely understood this still, what must one do so that one can open and edit the current PIE files with the PieSlicerDX? It was PNG use and PCX no more but how shall one surround this?
Join NeoX-Virt - The Software-Forge on neox-virt.de
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Black NEXUS wrote:I have not so completely understood this still, what must one do so that one can open and edit the current PIE files with the PieSlicerDX? It was PNG use and PCX no more but how shall one surround this?
It's very straight forward.

First open the .Pie file with a simple Text Program like Word Pad.

Look at the texture page file ending. If it's .PNG that means you can open the associated texture page in any Graphics program and that the .pie is ready to be used in-game. The geometry model itself could have been created in any of a host of progs that support 3ds output and then converted with the "3Ds 2 Pie" utility OR the geometry could have easily been done in PieSlicer itself, along with the texturing and then the .Pie itself opened in Word Pad have the referent texture page file ending changed from .pcx to .png and of course that referred to texture would have to be provided for the game binary to use in .png format in the .mp.wz or base.wz - making any changes to .wrfs that may be needed if you create entirely new texture pages.

Now to continue...

IF you want to use that .png .pie in PieSlicer simply change that texture page file ending from .png to .pcx.

Now that assumes you are working with the stock Pumpkin texture pages.

However if that .png .pie is using a new custom .png texture page then you also have to create a .bmp copy of the .png texture page for PieSlicer to use when you open the .pie file that is referring to that now changed .pcx texture page referent in the .pie file itself. Place that .bmp in PieSlicers main directory.

After making those .txt changes to the .pie file you of course also have to create an association with PieSlicer itself which is just a matter of directing the .pie to wherever PieSlicer is resident.

That's it.

Regards, whip :ninja: