Where to find a PIE editor?

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Re: Where to get PIE editor?

Post by Hatsjoe »

Is ti possible to get around the engines technical limitations such as limited vertices, polygons,etc . Or would you have to rewrite large amounts of code to do that ?
Azraiel
Trained
Trained

Post by Azraiel »

There probably isn't that much of a need to get too complicated. I don't know about any one else, but when I play I am zoomed out a bit and tiny details wouldn't even be noticeable.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Azraiel wrote: There probably isn't that much of a need to get too complicated. I don't know about any one else, but when I play I am zoomed out a bit and tiny details wouldn't even be noticeable.
that's right, the biggest problem are the current textures really. But still, i d appreciate the main base structures to be a bit more detailed. If you want to give for example the power generator some external pipelines and some small other details you ll quickly reach that 500 poly limit. And since the number of base structures is limited the poly copunt will not dramatically increase. I have been playing a bit of skirmishes yesterday to see if the engine would hang when overloaded with polygons. I quess i had placed about 300 archangel missile sites and atleast as many hellstorms. + a 300 unit army and atleast 100 oil derricks + about 25 power gens and no problems were encountered. In game it's not possible to have this much models in your game so i suppose poly count could be increased on some models. But if you place more than 5 factory's and try to access the manufacturing menu the game will crash.
Last edited by Hatsjoe on 11 Apr 2007, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Azraiel wrote: There probably isn't that much of a need to get too complicated. I don't know about any one else, but when I play I am zoomed out a bit and tiny details wouldn't even be noticeable.
which is why level-of-detail models would help us -- if you see the same apparent detail from far away with 4 polys as you do with 50, then use 4.
lav_coyote25 wrote: I know there will be at least one that wants more detail then wz can handle the actual limits are vertices  512, polygons  512.
512 would make sense, but i'm pretty sure it was past 512 polys that i was getting wierd problems

also, what did you mean by the 1x1, 2x2, 4x4 stuff?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

i think grim was thinking of models that took up that amount of space... ie a 1 by 1  =  sensor tower...  2by2 = cyborg factory  4 by 4 = a  factory / command center  / any thing taking up 4 by 4 space.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Azraiel
Trained
Trained

Post by Azraiel »

What limitations on textures exist? The base structures could also easily have more detail added to them, which I plan to do with some as soon as I am able to edit the source pie files, from warzone.
Last edited by Azraiel on 12 Apr 2007, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

right now, the textures are hardwired to be 256x256, or at least they were at the time of the source code release... one of the devs would be able to tell you if they removed that restriction. pie slicer is definitely restricted to 256x256, though, but someone could edit that source as well.
Azraiel
Trained
Trained

Post by Azraiel »

OK.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Can somebody compile 112 pieslicer & put it somewhere..Because I can't find workable version. I replacing 082 version & always get run-time 32 error. :(
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I don't think the engine itself has texture size limitations for PIE/IMD files. For terrain, the limit is hardcoded, unfortunately.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
UrbanVoyeur
Trained
Trained

Post by UrbanVoyeur »

Terminator wrote: Can somebody compile 112 pieslicer & put it somewhere..Because I can't find workable version. I replacing 082 version & always get run-time 32 error. :(
You can get it here:
http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/stratadrake/utils/
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Yes I took that version befor. But it doesn't work as I said when running *.exe file its shows message "Run-time errror 13" something like that. :( May be somebody knows What is it ?

UrbanVoyeur
Trained
Trained

Post by UrbanVoyeur »

Terminator wrote: Yes I took that version befor. But it doesn't work as I said when running *.exe file its shows message "Run-time errror 13" something like that. :( May be somebody knows What is it ?
You may need Vb libraries:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

I can vouch that it does run and the source could does compile.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

IT didn't help :(
The same problem "RUn-time 13".

UrbanVoyeur
Trained
Trained

Post by UrbanVoyeur »

Terminator wrote: IT didn't help :(
The same problem "RUn-time 13".
Bummer. I think you may need these:
• mscomctl.ocx, comdlg32.ocx, and picclp32.ocx

Usually these install with the VB 6.0 IDE. You can get them here: http://www.ocxdump.com/

Make sure they are 6.x versions. (the ones I found on the MS site are for 5.0)

Place it ins the same directory are the .exe.  Let us know if it works.