4c-The Lost River - WIP by Olrox

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: 4c-The Lost River - WIP by Olrox

Post by Rman Virgil »

Olrox wrote:Update:

All the scav bases have been made already, and I've discovered a terrible problem with the mutual protection between the scavengers - everytime a base is attacked, all the units go protect it, I can't go with that... Is that really necessary in the scav AI? Maybe adding a radius to that help order would solve this problem (every unit inside a set radius will help a specific attacked unit)? I may add that to Ideas and Suggestions if some discussion about that arises.
~Olrox
You already know how much I appreciate all that you are developing here. :D

Yes.... I came up on this same problem a few weeks back and since I'm not gonna do any modding to Aqua SE I put off dealing with with any Scav scripting till I start working on Aqua Elite... however I did implement a pure mapping work-around which actually works pretty cool. You may or may not like it but here is a quick screen cap of what I'm doing - could stimulate some alternate work-arounds... perhaps.

The Player 7 Special Scav A.I. is very rudimentary and could use some key changes like this one - there are other problems as well with it I've discovered. I saw somewhere a week or so ago that Dylan Dog said he was thinking of doing a little work on improving it so he may end up dealing with this particular problem through scripting modifications.

Regards, RV 8)
Attachments
Jiians Tang.jpg
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

macuser wrote:Sounds gr8 olrox... bout the scavs running back to base. It is probably because if my base is attacked i'll go to defend it but since there is only one group of scavs all the bases are theirs how would the scav ai tell which scavs belong to what base sections unless something else is implemented like a script. BTW I like it I really like it 8) .

-regards macuser
With my idea of using an "aid radius", a group of scavs would only help other scav units that were attacked if those are inside this "aid radius". This one can be generous, like, let's say, a 40 tile radius maybe?

@Rman: But won't droid frustration make the scavs blow up the buildings? I think it'd be much more interesting to leave opened entrances to let the scavs go out to defend their bases (otherwise, the player could just use mortars to harass them freely, until a wall blows up accidentally). But if that solution you've used really works and isn't compromised by droid frustration, I'll surely use it while the scav AI isn't improved, thanks for the suggestion!

~Olrox
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Olrox wrote:
@Rman: But won't droid frustration make the scavs blow up the buildings? I think it'd be much more interesting to leave opened entrances to let the scavs go out to defend their bases (otherwise, the player could just use mortars to harass them freely, until a wall blows up accidentally). But if that solution you've used really works and isn't compromised by droid frustration, I'll surely use it while the scav AI isn't improved, thanks for the suggestion!

~Olrox
Well there are a few different things going on here simultaneously that I will speak to briefly which puts the technique in a very specific, multi-dimensional context as I understand it. The degree to which this may be relevant to "The Lost River" is your purview, naturally.

The Player 7 Scav Droids won't auto attack to escape. Scav Droids controlled by a Human Player will auto attack to gain access.

What I'm doing with this technique is creating a Scav Outpost to guard a significant (& destructible) resource cache that Human Players will want / need and to attack with artillery or IF Weaps will surely destroy the cache, pinch the human player in that whoever succeeds will gain an upper hand, which is why it is constructed such that only a "surgical strike" will win you the reward.

Think of it more a Supply Depot than a Scav Fortress Outpost or FB. The Main Scav Base Fortress does not use this technique and so only if the Scav Supply Depot Droids are taking punishment will the Main Base Scav Droids deploy (very likely intercepting Human Players long before ever reaching the breached Scav Supply Depot ground access). But throughout any maneuver by the human players will first have to contend with Non-Mobile Scav Defenses before they can even reach the Scav Supply Depot entry - same deal with all the vital real estate, including the Scav's main base, "The Last Redoubt".

One of the net consequences of all the foregoing (& other created conditions like looming attrition) is to slant the tactics more in favor of Vtols, Borg Airlift & precision control over blunt, mass, armor deployment offensives. (Even scouting has to be done with a mindful attention that the stock game does NOT encourage, let alone reward.)

Overall my use of Scav Player 7 Droids is minimalist because I do not want to spam them as cannon fodder and yet - through a combination of canny topography, concealed defenses, & resource distribution, Scavs are essentially effecting the 4-Dimension of game play; the ebb and flow of a threatened attrition (as opposed to one that is concerted, firmly forced or entrenched, and thus draining the fun-factor which we have to guard against in the design). At least those are my operational concepts.

In the end, improving the scripts is I think the "cleaner" solution but who knows when that will be a done deal and I am determined to push ahead in spite of this and other current shortfalls. At least the way I'm working around it gives me a measure of control over the game play that is second only to precision CAM type scripting.

All of this is fundamentally quite experimental (what you are doing and what I'm doing) and without precedent when you think about how most maps have been made and still are being made. In a real sense these efforts all amount to writing a brand new chapter in the WZ map making book, charting heretofore uncharted waters which is what makes it especially interesting to create and to play, to be sure - the two melded as one.

- regards, RV :ninja:

Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Thanks to Per's improvement to the scav AI (implementing the "aid radius" I've propposed, in addition to their new behavior of returning to their bases after coming out to aid), now I can use a whole new dimension to my map.

This is what I may call...
Scav Exiles :wink:

This was just so awesome when I first saw it, because I'm not sure if this was Per's intention, but it surely is nice!
Here are some pics of what I mean:
wz2100_shot_001.JPG
wz2100_shot_002.JPG
wz2100_shot_004.JPG
Note the minimap! I've destroyed a scav base's factories, and some other structures as well, of course (I was using a super pulse laser borg to see the reaction of the scav bases' units in relation to each other, without having to expose myself to angry attacks :geek: ), and then, after a while, the scavengers started to retreat - retreat to a neighboring base!

That's a very nice thing, as it allows the players to harass the scavengers until they leave their base, making it much easier to conquer than if it had units inside. But it has drawbacks, as the scavs will be then concentrate two bases' units somewhere else (better scout to see where they are going to know what to expect there)! Another option is to kill everyone before they can retreat :twisted:

I've already tested that to some extent, and it appears that the scavengers of some bases will refuse to retreat :hmm:

That was a great surprise, and added another card to my hand as well 8)

I'll come back soon with an overall of what I've already done to the map.

~Olrox
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Ok, here's an updated overview of the map.
updated overview.
updated overview.
You can note the new "cracks" that allow deployment of artillery closer to the northwestern and southeastern bases, with additional protection (unless the defender makes efficient defenses there, but that will require him to invest resources there rather than on the frontlines).

The new peaks allow extremely efficient hit-and run tactics, which may play a decisive role in surprise attacks - scouting is once again important to decide which routes to take, unless you want to find a whole tank division in the next corner. Then, why, those peaks provide excellent advantage positions, maximizing the efficiency of sensors as well as of long-range, direct-fire weapons such as rockets.

Next step are the ghost towns. I've created this topic to see if I can use some buildings from the urban tileset (the smallest) for them, if not, I'll stick to rural villages rather than small towns. Other surprises than resource caches awaits the players in the streets of those mysterious dwellings :ninja:

And there is stll the river, which will hide its own secrets as well. This shall definetely be a map that gives the players something else to do rather than just thinking about how to crush each other 8)
And there are yet many legends to come, if I can produce them :P
I hope I can, those will perhaps make The Lost River effectively have its own life.
      • Lies what, across you, winding river?
        Most wonder, some believe, n'one knows.
                • -Stone carving, author unkown
~Olrox
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

Olrox wrote:Ok, here's an updated overview of the map.
How do you make a map picture like that?
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Crymson wrote:
Olrox wrote:Ok, here's an updated overview of the map.
How do you make a map picture like that?
flaME and print screen 8)
Probably you're missing the ctrl+1,2,3...0 setting of view range.

~Olrox
theArmourer
Trained
Trained

Post by theArmourer »

When can we download this?
~theArmourer
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

theArmourer wrote:When can we download this?
When it is ready I'll post it here, I don't know when it'll be :P

I cen sed you the pre-alpha version if you really want to see it ingame, but I daresay that it could spoil some surprises I'm planning for the finished version.

~Olrox
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

The first landmark! I think (and hope) my inspiration is starting to come back to me :hmm:
Three Ways Inn.jpg
The plateau overlooks the river fork and the scavs' main base. It my turn out to be a nice place to deploy troops secretly, as it is somewhat below the overall level. It is fairly easy to defend with artillery and sensors as well, as the entrance is narrow. The ponds make it somewhat tricky, though.

I'll be back later with more landmarks :D All the planned oil resources were placed already, the players' starting positions are finished, and the overall terrain is probably done already. Now I'll procceed to adding the features, landmarks and some hints towards a background story. The scavs' main base has been made stronger in some ways.

That'll be a surprise. :wink:

~Olrox
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

The first ghost town is ready. Hidden in the southern steppes, lies...
Nothapotamus.jpg
~Olrox 8)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

It feels like you are creating a richly textured, multi-dimensional experience that is traditionally the hallmark of an immersive campaign.

Those graphics would go well with an accompaning .PDF of your backstory / guide, I think. :)

Btw, the pattern I've noticed over the years is that with some innovative works it could take upwards of a year for the community at large to fully catch-up with and appreciate the new concepts implemented (the entrenched mind-sets of convention being what they are). I hope that's not the case. I only mention it because some would be discouraged if their work is not immediately hailed & warmly received.

- Regards, RV :cool:

Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Rman Virgil wrote:.

It feels like you are creating a richly textured, multi-dimensional experience that is traditionally the hallmark of an immersive campaign.

Those graphics would go well with an accompaning .PDF of your backstory / guide, I think. :)

Btw, the pattern I've noticed over the years is that with some innovative works it could take upwards of a year for the community at large to fully catch-up with and appreciate the new concepts implemented (the entrenched mind-sets of convention being what they are). I hope that's not the case. I only mention it because some would be discouraged if their work is not immediately hailed & warmly received.

- Regards, RV :cool:

Yep, I was thinking about making some book of sorts, short stuff probably due to my somewhat limited vocabulary, but with the main purpose of integrating the landmarks, effectively tying each part of the map to each other.

Right now I'm having quite some fun creating those pictures, it takes me some time to remember the landmark's name and to attribute a nice quotation to it, but definetely it's worth it and I can see people who will appreciate it already. Even if it's limited, my own appreciation already achieves the purpose of being proud of my own creation :D

I'm certainly going to produce a CAM-like briefing to TLR, I dunno in which sort of media, but sure I will :ninja:

~Olrox
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Olrox wrote:
Crymson wrote: How do you make a map picture like that?
flaME and print screen 8)
Probably you're missing the ctrl+1,2,3...0 setting of view range.

~Olrox
Oh, I forgot to mention, I used paint to, erm, paint the background (it is originally torquoise, but gray fits TLR best, IMO :P

For the announcement pictures, like this, and for the landmark pictures I've recently made, I use photoshop to produce my own effects:
download/file.php?id=5557&mode=view

~Olrox
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Olrox wrote: Yep, I was thinking about making some book of sorts, short stuff probably due to my somewhat limited vocabulary, but with the main purpose of integrating the landmarks, effectively tying each part of the map to each other.
Cool. :)

Both Knut Hamsun & Ernest Hemingway proved you could write immortal stories with an elementary school vocabulary and both won the Nobel Prize for Literature.
Olrox wrote:Right now I'm having quite some fun creating those pictures, it takes me some time to remember the landmark's name and to attribute a nice quotation to it, but definitely it's worth it and I can see people who will appreciate it already. Even if it's limited, my own appreciation already achieves the purpose of being proud of my own creation :D

Ahh, yes... the fun of creating and the pride in the work created done to your best ability - that does say it all. :D

Olrox wrote: I'm certainly going to produce a CAM-like briefing to TLR, I dunno in which sort of media, but sure I will :ninja:
~Olrox
Oh, cool. That will be an added boon I'm sure much appreciated Image

- RV :ninja: