map editor tutorials updated.

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

map editor tutorials updated.

Post by lav_coyote25 »

ok - i didnt know how else to do it so i did it graphics wise. 

56 k modem users please be aware of the extreme graphic nature of the tutorials.

click here to go there... ;D

How to make a new map in 13 easy steps.

Read over all the pictures here.

If you have followed all the instructions from the preceding pages - ie: all default installation in SD button  there should be no further problems

unless you have clicked on something that is a known bug ( well...i use that term loosely as not all bugs have been found.)

also the code is not being worked on for this editor at this time.  if you are able to code and can help with developing - let us know.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: map editor tutorials updated.

Post by DevUrandom »

This one? http://members.shaw.ca/kgmetcalfe/Beta World Editor 32 bit BETA/index.html
The link you provided timeouts... :(

updated the url: use this one.

http://members.shaw.ca/kgmetcalfe3/Worl ... 32bitBeta/

edited by lav_coyote25
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 10 Feb 2007, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

* Same here.... "Url couldnot be resolved."  :'(

* With Dev's live link I get a Company by the name of "Shaw Web Space"  :o

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

appologies - will look into it and advise...  :o :( >:(

===========================edit feb 10 2007 - 10:54 am edmonton alberta canada=================================
DevUrandom wrote: This one? http://members.shaw.ca/kgmetcalfe/Beta World Editor 32 bit BETA/index.html
The link you provided timeouts... :(
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rman Virgil wrote: * Same here.... "Url couldnot be resolved."  :'(

* With Dev's live link I get a Company by the name of "Shaw Web Space"  :o
==================================================================================

dunno where you got that address from... ??? 

http://members.shaw.ca/kgmetcalfe/

is the url - the tutorial for the 32 bit world editor is listed on that page....  ie:    32 Bit map tutorial - updated!  Feb10 2007 02:32

update to the update....  now as i re-read the post from Dev....  seems the url wasnt copied /pasted as a whole url.... if you look at it has only partial functionality. :o >:( ;D  oh well....
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 10 Feb 2007, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

------------------------------------>

* HEY !!........... Who added 10 bits to the World Editor when I wasn't looking ??? (42 bit EW, Wha ?) ;)

* More importantly - the heretofore undocumented importance of Player ID assigning of ALL "Features" - OIL & the rest.

* If a map maker is not aware of the consequences then you can easily end up creating inherently unbalanced maps... ALSO

* Proper or clever use of "Feature" charactertistics can also assist the overall unit pathing.... certainly for the A.I. but also for human players who utilize "Patrol / Waypointing"...

- rv :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

&%#$@*&^$# fingers and brain not co-operating. >:(

* More importantly - the heretofore undocumented importance of Player ID assigning of ALL "Features" - OIL & the rest.

* If a map maker is not aware of the consequences then you can easily end up creating inherently unbalanced maps... ALSO

* Proper or clever use of "Feature" charactertistics can also assist the overall unit pathing.... certainly for the A.I. but also for human players who utilize "Patrol / Waypointing"...
ok - i seem to be running on DOH !!  explain the above quoted passage please.... you lost me. ???
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Direct link: http://members.shaw.ca/kgmetcalfe3/Worl ... 32bitBeta/ (this time it should be fully clickable ;) )
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

lav_coyote25 wrote: &%#$@*&^$# fingers and brain not co-operating. >:(

ok - i seem to be running on DOH !!  explain the above quoted passage please.... you lost me. ???
* "Features" (Oil, Baba Structs, whatever) are LINKED by Player ID assignment....

* In words... if your working with Player "0" active cause your laying down Base prerequisits..... then you decide "Heck, I'm gonna lay-down all the Maps Oil Resources and some Baba Structs as well"..... what happens is that Player "0" will have exclusive linkage to all those "Features" which will manifest as a Pathing Advantage over all other players in the case of Oil...... and in the case of Baba Structs those will only recognize Player "0" as a Friendly and all other Players as the Enemy and thus will Fire-On everybody but "0".

* Does that explain it better ?

- rv :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

yep ;D

thanks
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

DevUrandom wrote: Direct link: http://members.shaw.ca/kgmetcalfe3/Worl ... 32bitBeta/ (this time it should be fully clickable ;) )
thanks DEV i was getting there... just too darn slow today... ;D
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

lav_coyote25 wrote: yep ;D

thanks
* Kwel.

* Great job on the revision, Lav :). Will be an indispensable resource for new wz map makers or even those who have been away and have yet to use the 32 bit EW.

* Even though there are some issues with the 32 EW it is still functional enough to make good maps once you're aware of its quirks and as such, Qamly did us a tremendous service making it as usuable as it is otherwise we'd have nothing that could utilize the new formats.

* Btw, in the Docs Project is there a section on compiling ai scripts into a map - like a recipe, step by step ? What about bounding map sectors, such that one big map is gradually revealed as certain conditions are fulfilled ?

Thanks, rv  8)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

* (1) Btw, in the Docs Project is there a section on compiling ai scripts into a map - like a recipe, step by step ?
(2) What about bounding map sectors, such that one big map is gradually revealed as certain conditions are fulfilled ?
(1)  sort of - Troman was doing a tutorial on ai's as well as niker - i have both in there as well as whatever else i could find  (which was very little at the time.)

(2) thats what qamly and i were supposed to start in on when he got back from his job site... needless to say he has yet to return from the hospital. ( havent heard anything from anyone since ... end of 2005?? cant remember... all i know was at that time he was in a coma in the hospital.)

would you happen to have anything on either of those subjects?? any thing at all?? or for that matter does any one out there have anything they might have on AI??
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

lav_coyote25 wrote: (1)  sort of - Troman was doing a tutorial on ai's as well as niker - i have both in there as well as whatever else i could find  (which was very little at the time.)
* I'll go thru it.
lav_coyote25 wrote: (2) thats what qamly and i were supposed to start in on when he got back from his job site... needless to say he has yet to return from the hospital. ( havent heard anything from anyone since ... end of 2005?? cant remember... all i know was at that time he was in a coma in the hospital.)
* Damn, damn... chit, I had no idea. My last email from him was 9/16/05. I didn't pry but for some reason assumed it was military related ... Delta Force or some such on special deployment . I'm blown away and deeply saddened to hear this. His skills and talents were obvious but what impressed me even more was his tremendous humanity. He straddled the camps of silence and hate - his own man to ask what the heck really. And that's how it started. To think back with this information, that under all these circumstances he reached out just - if it wasn't for him... damn... I can't talk about it any more at this moment...[/quote]
lav_coyote25 wrote:
would you happen to have anything on either of those subjects?? any thing at all?? or for that matter does any one out there have anything they might have on AI??

* I'll compare what I have with what you have. What I mentioned is what I'm missing and haven't been able to sort-out. If my info is more complete I'll gladly send it to you.

* Thanks for everything Lav - the Wz stuff but also for sharing the other personal stuff.

- l8r bro, rv

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

ok here i am again with more updates... this time for what i have on the ai and other resources...

http://members.shaw.ca/kgmetcalfe/

also

once again i ask all that come here - if you have any information (tutorials / text files / other resources) please advise and send to me for inclusion in the documents project.  this also includes anything for the GPL releases.... thanking you in advance.

[email protected]