Somewhat advanced map issue

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

Somewhat advanced map issue

Post by Dylan Hsu »

This unfinished map has possibly the strangest issue ever. While being 156x106, the player can only view the westernmost 106x106 square, and if one moves the camera to 107, it shows you only the easternmost 106x106 square. Quite strange indeed! I've also posted the .lnd so if anyone has a clue as to what's going on please help!

[The extension lnd has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

4c-CliffBeta.wz
(15.86 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
Serman
Trained
Trained

Re: Somewhat advanced map issue

Post by Serman »

Not sure what the cause of the issue here is, but;
When it comes to map sizes, try to use powers of two.
eg; 32, 64, 128, 256 (255 for some reason in wz2100)
Serman
Trained
Trained

Post by Serman »

What Dylan is trying to say here is, only half of the map is rendered at a time for some reason.

I don't know the reason, but here's some screenshots.

edit: why does this board cut my image in half?
Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

Post by Dylan Hsu »

Bump
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

It's nothing you've done.

It's a problem with the in-game camera scheme. I don't recall it being an issue with the retail v.1.10 but it could have been and I just never made a map or saw a map that exposed it.

But I can speak to it being an issue in the current binary and you should file a bug ticket and include your map files and a save game file.

THIS is the problem in a nut-shell:

Basically the camera scheme can NOT properly handle rectangular map dimensions wherein the map width is greater than the map height. Squares are of course fine and rectangles wherein the height is greater than the width is also fine like in Laws245's "Inca" Map.

To get a visual illustration of what I'm talking about -

Open your map in-game and orient NORTH..... scroll your camera to the EASTERN edge.... your formerly blacked-out terrain re-emerges.... now slowly scroll WEST and watch it go black again.

Regards, whip :ninja:
Serman wrote: edit: why does this board cut my image in half?
Started about a month ago. Very annoying. Could be an unaddressed way to discourage hot-linking. I've been scaling back my image dimensions to get them hot-linked in their entirety. Scaling of course degrades quality. The other alternative is to provide a link to be viewed elsewhere, like what others have started doing of late.

Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

Post by Dylan Hsu »

I'll just make a square version. Expect to see it in a few days!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

whippersnapper wrote:Started about a month ago. Very annoying. Could be an unaddressed way to discourage hot-linking. I've been scaling back my image dimensions to get them hot-linked in their entirety. Scaling of course degrades quality. The other alternative is to provide a link to be viewed elsewhere, like what others have started doing of late.
No, it's just Kamaze's way of making sure the forum doesn't stretch beyond a certain width. If you want to show a huge image, link to it, or attach it (and it will be resized automatically).
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

whippersnapper wrote:Started about a month ago. Very annoying. Could be an unaddressed way to discourage hot-linking. I've been scaling back my image dimensions to get them hot-linked in their entirety. Scaling of course degrades quality. The other alternative is to provide a link to be viewed elsewhere, like what others have started doing of late.
Zarel wrote:No, it's just Kamaze's way of making sure the forum doesn't stretch beyond a certain width. If you want to show a huge image, link to it, or attach it (and it will be resized automatically).
Thanks for clarifying. I thoroughly dislike entering a thread with HUMONGOUS Pics loading - which is why I never do it myself and appreciate it's prevention.

Regards, whip :ninja: