Wha- up ! Weirdness of 32-bit Edit World Experience....

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Wha- up ! Weirdness of 32-bit Edit World Experience....

Post by Rman Virgil »

* Not a newb to WZ map-making so I don't make typical mistakes.

* Read the docs on the new 32 bit EW & followed.

* Was inspired to make new map called Turtle Rush (excited to play-test proof-of-concepts, new design modus, but stymied by the following prob).

* Compiled just fine. Upon final load in WZ 2.5 Ski, WZ quits to MS error dialog or C++ runtime error...(No probs with any of the stock maps or Lav's new version of the "Pit".)

* Now I've noticed some wierdness with 32 bit EW vis-a-vis "Map Prefs" and .Png 128 x128... Specifically, "Project Save" doesNOT save all parameters. My work-around is upon 32 bit EW launch I manually input ALL Map Prefs BEFORE loading Map Project.... because if I don't my project will open as 64 x 128 .png (with the texture tiles doubled) instead of the correct set of 128 x 128 .png and trying to change prefs back as open file will destroy the project !!!!

* Can't help but suspect that my prob with the compiled Map file is somehow tied to the above .png wierdness but I've tried all sort of stuff to puzzle it out without success  (looking at the error reports hasn't yielded me any insights but perhaps someone more knowledgable will see something - can provide if requested)...

* Any suggestions ?... Has anyone using 32 bit EW had this issue with Project Map Prefs not saving in .ind file, etc. ?

Thanks in advance & a Happy Holiday to one and all, vg :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Wha- up ! Weirdness of 32-bit Edit World Experience....

Post by Watermelon »

Rman Virgil wrote: * Compiled just fine. Upon final load in WZ 2.5 Ski, WZ quits to MS error dialog or C++ runtime error...(No probs with any of the stock maps or Lav's new version of the "Pit".)
Just curious which version of wz you are running,1.1x or 2.0.x,if it's 2.0.x I suspect that the '\' backslash in wrf/lev is the culprit of the MS error dialog(actually it's a 'abort()' function when some read file function fails)

Sorry for my ignorance,but what is 'WZ 2.5 Ski'?
Thanks in advance & a Happy Holiday to one and all, vg :)
Same to you :)
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

merry christmas to you all as well from all of us here in edmonton alberta canada. ;D

now to the problem.

sorry - i thought i had put that little bit of info in there.  my appologies. 

yes you have to input the tile size etc 128 by 128  ( qamly didnt get a chance to work on that part before he was injured - still havent heard from him so... if anyone has the will to take a crack at this - please do so. ;D  )

you can leave all else as is if your opening an old .LND .

if your doing a NEW map - you will have to input all parameters. 

i will now go and see if that info is in there or else where... i remember doing it... this getting old is not a good thing. >:(
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

well i just looked at the editworld 32 bit beta tutorial - it is in the 4.8 version of the documents project.

it is labled right on the front page of the tutorial  (Tile Size in Editworld  *Read Now!*) button -  silver in color.

original settings 16 bit

map width  64 to 250  even increments

map Height  64 to 250  even increments

Tile Texture Size  = 64

- This value has been set for Warzone 2100.

Changing it may cause EditWorld or Warzone 2100 to function incorrectly.

Tile Size = 128

- This value has been set for Warzone 2100.

Changing it may cause EditWorld or Warzone 2100 to function incorrectly.

Sea Level  = 0

Height Scale = 1 to 5

============================

New 32 Bit settings

Map Size

The maximum map size is limited to 250 * 250, as this is the largest the game, and specifically the gateway system, can safely handled and needs to be an even number IE: 250 by 250 or 120 by 120 or 64 by 64

Tile Texture Size

This value has to  be set manually to 128 every time you use the editor (per session)

- not Changing it may cause EditWorld or Warzone 2100 to not display the tile textures correctly

Tile Size

This value has to  be set manually to 128 every time you use the editor (per session)

- not Changing it may cause EditWorld or Warzone 2100 to not display the tile textures correctly

Sea Level = 0

This value has been set for Warzone 2100. Changing it may cause EditWorld or Warzone 2100 to function incorrectly.

Height Scale between 1 and 5 are legal Values
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

As Watermelon said, the problem is very probably with the file/path names.
Open the .lev file with a text editor and change all \ to /, that should do the trick.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

* Watermelon: Thank you & sorry, I meant "warzone2100-2.0.5_rc1 Skirmish" (on a Win-tel duo-core, XP Media Center Edition SP-2, Toshiba Sattelite Laptop).

* Quote: "I suspect that the '\' backslash in wrf/lev is the culprit of the MS error dialog(actually it's a 'abort()' function when some read file function fails)"

* Does that mean I have to go into the .addon file and change all '\' to '/' ?

* Lav_coyote: Howdy & tanks. :)

* Went to look at the Doc Project but was off-line and only available by dl.... I have it dl-ed already on my tower in Denver... but not on my laptop flying from Phoenix-SF &, honestly, didn't want to dl wireless at the airport where I was making the map awaiting my flight because of battery-life considerations... So I just looked at the Help File that came with the 32bit EW and it didn't really emphasize this issue....

* However, by trial and error I figured out what was happening with the Map Prefs and the 128x128 .pngs and I'm surely squared away on that (yet i think the help-file that comes with 32 bit editor should make a point of emphasizing this... cause it's a nightmare to have to rebuild projects far along).

* At this point with the compiled file I think my problem is in the direction indicated by Watermelon. That is -
I have to go into the .addon file and manually change all '\' to '/'...

* Now if that's the case.... this too will need to be in the 32bit EW Help-File.........

* Let me go try that and see if it works for my compiled "Turtle Rush"... so I can finally start Play-Testing. :)

Cheers fellas, vg :D

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

thanks and will be added = change the path names in .lev file to unix path(from '\' to '/'). ;D
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

* Thanks Dev for the confirmation on .lev file....

* The changes to the 32 bit EW Doc file work well in clarifying the raised points, Lav. :)

* Yet, sad to say, my prob with the runtime error persists even after making all changes to the .lev & going over my .ind project file for any rookie oversights several times till I was at my wits end - at least for the time being...

* Needed to get away to clear my head so I went to one of my "Company of Heroes" scenario projects. In useing the CoH "WorldBuilder" (awesome tool, btw) I was reminded of the import of directory relationships between game & editor. I always had the old WZ EW in my WZ directory (.wrf access).

* However I installed the 32 bit EW like the Help File pics - that is, not in the same dir as the WZ GPL.. Could that be my prob ?

* If the 32 bit EW should be installed in the same dir - what is the correct & exact  Win folder structure  between game & editor ?

* What I keep coming back to is your "Pit" rev., Lav, which launches just fine..... Making me think that my TRmap .wz is info deficient - created outside GPL WZ dir (the fixed .addon lev file not withstanding..)... Don't know if any of this is tracking...

* Cheers, rv :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

shouldnt matter where edtworld(32) is located!!  i have it right in the root of c:/  and it works fine.  mind you i also have the warzone2100 folder there as well... but they are not together. 

would it be possible to send your . LND file.    i will compile and see if it runs here.  all Nondisclosurerules aply on this end as usual.

;D
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

in progress...

first box = project files - should be pointing at the folder of the editor itself.

second box = dataset folder -  now keep in mind that this is the only time you will not want to pick from this - your dataset entries will be in the samples folder - so choose from there... but keep the dataset entry - qamly didnt get a chance to correct something!?!  unsure. ???

the next three boxes you can have all pointing to the samples directory - which is where all those items were put.

the last box = newmaps folder.... which is where that should be pointing to.

and finally - when copying your files to the maps folder in the warzone 2100 folder... operative word here is COPY.

and you already know about the /\/\/\/\/ changes. 

see if that helps before sending the  .LND.
Attachments
world editor set directory.jpg
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 26 Dec 2006, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

time here now is 01:53 or thereabouts... ;)

will be testing a new version of the editor - but that will be later on today dec 26 2006  - just finished a 4 + hour test of new sandcastles...  will also upload that later ...after test of editor.  ;D

thanks to

from vs2k5
to kim metcalfe 
date Dec 25, 2006 10:05 PM
subject 32bitEW beta b

If you can test it, and report back if all is well.

All I did was make all \ into /.

From my quick test, it seems to work OK now with no modifications
needed to  *.addon.lev
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

ALL \ to / ??
Well... If it works...
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

* Thank you Lav & Dev for the helpful input.

* 1st thing I'll do is make sure I "copy" the TR.wz & NOT just drag 'n drop like I think I did (bad Mac habit, me thinks)..

* If that doesn't make a dif, I'll re-install 32EW & make sure I follow all the directory set-ups (I was sure I did first time 'round but...)

* Then i'll re-build a striped-down, minimal, 2p ver of the TR map, compile it & see if I can run the .wz in-game....

* If I still get the runtime error, I'll send ya the LND...

* I'm determined to see it work...

* What I saw of the GPL ai when play testing your new ver of "The Pit" Lav, got me to thinking that the "TR" map design would work just as well in SP SKI as in MP (I detected unit temps heretofore only prominent in "H2O" a.i. & that is the diff that makes all the difference as a workable Ski map.)

* Anyhow, I'll be doing this in transit today from Calif to Arizona.... A 2-hour direct flight but somehow ballooning to 6-8 hours of airport time... Sheesh...

* I'll check-out the new "SCs" map when I get back home.

Cheers, rv :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

* K..... went ahead & cleaned-up my initial  install (inc going through the Registry by hand & deleting ALL EW pathways).... have reinstalled EW but have not yet set-up directory prefs cause I have ?s.

* There is a "Data" folder that has tertiles from 11/05 AND the "SAMPLES" folder that has tertiles from 1/06..... my question is 1st WHY (why the old ver in the DATA folder, etc.) and 2nd - which tertiles are referenced for the 32BitEW Data directory Prefs and which should be loaded for a "Map Project" ? I'm assuming the tertiles referenced should be one and the same (the newest version aka in "Samples") however I won't set-up the EW data prefs (& redo my TR.ind project till I'm 100% clear on this point.

* Thanks, rv :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo