Realistic/WWII total conversion?

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Re: Realistic/WWII total conversion?

Post by ratarf »

-- best to hold off on the stats tables and go for a traditional database approach.
Yeah, store all stats in database tables, export each table to a text file for use in the game and use php to show each table on the web... Place a link to this dynamic page on the wiki. I think that would be a good approach but that's just my 2 cents.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Sideeffect of a Database is that Coyote can't do it alone... Kamaze would need to give him a database on the server and write the output-php...
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

...and input code... would probably be a lot faster to parse the actual datafiles and dump them to sql than it would be to input it all by hand -- about 1 - 1.5 years ago i was going to see if i could do something like this: if i had finished it then, and coyote was imputting all the data by hand, he might have just now finished.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

actually - no - i would still be worlking on it... when they introduced the 1.12 patch(so to speak)... it took me almost 3 months to incorporate that into the existing 1.10/1.11 tech tree....
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

heh, a horribly inefficient tool, however long it took to develop, could import warzone data files and process them in less than 3 minutes when provided with the .wz alone, and could store it based on diffs from dependencies, but would be able to display the entire tree and stats for all components, and highlight what has actually changed, and what is actually new, while creating full copies for mods that are redone from scratch -- it would be an easy way to catalogue every single mod into a central mod repository, where all users can see exactly what they're getting and download it at the same time, and all this can be started simply from an "upload .wz file" interface.

only issue is, unless we modularize warzone's data parser into a pretty good seperate library so that it can be reused for this task as well (in addition to wzck equivs, among other things), this is something very few developers would actually want to handle, as 80% of the initial work we be in reimplementing what's already been done, and beyond that, every time warzone changes the way it parses files (adds a new type of file or adds/removes data fields from an existing one), without a shared library, the developer of this web-stat-viewer would have to make those same changes by hand every time file-format changes make in into an official release.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

direct-read the txt files is not feasible i think,because there are too many fields in a txt file delimited by coma's and quite a few of them are pie file names and such.Also,the txt file itself is not human-understandable(20-50 values per line) without looking at the source files that read them...
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

If you should, for example, use an online mysql server & php for import/export with the text files:

- Create 1 warzone database
- For each file, create 1 database table

20 values on one line = Create 20 columns in that table (with the right datatype and size)

Automatic import script: To import all data from a text file into a table
200 lines in the file = 200 entries in the table.
The script would read each line, and split this line in 20 parts (with the comma as delimiter). Then all the values from one line should be inserted in the table.

Automatic export script: To export all data from a table to a file
Loop through all rows - Loop through all values for each row. Write the value and a comma.

To show this info in a table on the website, all you need is a simple php script which can be created in no time.

Sounds too simple... Maybe I forgot about something... If it were like this, the only 'hard' part would be the import and export scripts.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

here is my wwii mod stuff from a few years ago, along with almost all of my other notable mods, unedited except to lowercase all filenames.

wwii related stuff can be found in the "worldwar2" and "naval cannon" dirs. note, that the naval cannon isn't at all historically accurate, since it would first need a battleship to sit on (not to mention, it's about twice as long on a side as it would have actually been).

(on a side note, it'd be nice if this forum allowed .bz2 and .tbz attachments -- when bzip2'd, my set of mods fits comfortably within the max attachement size limit at normal compression, while gzip'ing it just barely scrapes under that limit)
Attachments
xtg-mods.tar.gz
(4.77 MiB) Downloaded 465 times
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Cool,I will see if they work with the WRP versions,think you will have to convert pcx to png,since WRP only supports png and jpg.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.