Want to start modding, Need to know a few things.

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
The Commander
Trained
Trained

Want to start modding, Need to know a few things.

Post by The Commander »

You may have seen me poking around here on the fourms, :P
I usally spend most of my time modding Duke Nukem 3D for my Stargate Mod, But now I want to start modding WZ2100 as well. What I would like to know is with the textures I see that they go, 32, 64 and 128. Am I able to make new resolution textures higher than this or is WZ2100 only limited to 128? Also I tried the pie editor listed above and that sucked and I just got errors oping files. Is there some way I can use Milkshape 3D for pie models?

Thanks.
Stargate Mod
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: Want to start modding, Need to know a few things.

Post by Buginator »

The Commander wrote: You may have seen me poking around here on the fourms, :P
I usally spend most of my time modding Duke Nukem 3D for my Stargate Mod, But now I want to start modding WZ2100 as well. What I would like to know is with the textures I see that they go, 32, 64 and 128. Am I able to make new resolution textures higher than this or is WZ2100 only limited to 128? Also I tried the pie editor listed above and that sucked and I just got errors oping files. Is there some way I can use Milkshape 3D for pie models?

Thanks.
I think right now, the options are pie editor, blender or 3ds.
The scripts/plugins are in the sticky I think.

For textures, I think you can use 256x256 or 512x512, maybe even higher.  Haven't played around that much with that stuff to know. 

I am sure someone will come along sooner or later to comment on that though.
and it ends here.
The Commander
Trained
Trained

Post by The Commander »

Well, Im looking through the files and I see the land textures use, 16, 32, 64 and 128
In game you can select 32, 64 and 128. So im not sure if I made 256 if it would be used or how you would select it. Would be great if you could use 512 for ground textures ect cos then everything could be made much more smoother and sharper.
Stargate Mod
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

There really is no limit in size, but right now, it is limited to those ranges for tilesets.
The lower verions are just used for mipmaps.

We also want to keep the texture size down because allot of people still have crappy hardware that can't support 1024x1024 tiles.
and it ends here.
The Commander
Trained
Trained

Post by The Commander »

Yup, I worked that out in a test right now, replaced a 128 tile and started the game and couldnt work out why I couldnt see it till I zoomed in.
Buginator wrote: We also want to keep the texture size down because allot of people still have crappy hardware that can't support 1024x1024 tiles.
Well, If people want to use my mod if they got crappy hardware, well, that wont be my prop :D
I mean, Look at how we (my other projects) have got Duke Nukem to look. I want WZ2100 to get this kind of over hall big time. :D
Attachments
hrp_screen00.jpg
Stargate Mod
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Don't get me wrong, I am all for higher textures.
There is nothing preventing you from using higher textures, you just have to manually make the mipmaps yourself, instead of the gfx card doing the grunt work.
and it ends here.