Spliting mods into categorizes

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
JimmyJack
Trained
Trained

Spliting mods into categorizes

Post by JimmyJack »

Just a thought. Separate mods into 2 categorizes. Public and Private, or what ever you would like to call them.

Public mods = Just as they are now. All players must run the same mods or the game will crash. These mods modify weapons, weapons power, unit speed, game speed, or any thing else that has to be in sink.

Private mods = Modify the way something looks or sounds.

With Private mods 4 people can be in the same game. Player 1 could be running Art Rev. Player 2 could be running Cartoon. Player 3 could be running Pumpkin's tile set. Player 4 could be running his/her own tile set.

Say that I love to play with ... Fudrucker's tile set but nobody else likes it. I host a game but can't get any body to join. With private mods I can load Fudrucker's and go join a game and the others would never even know I was running it. I'm happy. They are happy. Everybody is happy. :lecture:

Is this doable?
Transmission ends ...
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Spliting mods into categorizes

Post by Forgon »

JimmyJack wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 07:14 [...] Separate mods into 2 categorizes. [...]

Public mods = Just as they are now. All players must run the same mods or the game will crash. These mods modify weapons, weapons power, unit speed, game speed, or any thing else that has to be in sink.

Private mods = Modify the way something looks or sounds.

Say that I love to play with ... Fudrucker's tile set but nobody else likes it. [...] With private mods I can load Fudrucker's and go join a game and the others would never even know I was running it. [...]
You can already use custom tilesets without other people noticing them:
  • locate the file base.wz that was created when you installed the game
  • decompress its files (remember that WZ files are ZIP files)
  • replace as many tileset images as you like
  • overwrite base.wz with the re-compressed files (include all of them)
JimmyJack
Trained
Trained

Post by JimmyJack »

Right idea, wrong point.

Your talking about a permanent modification to the game that will not crash the game if all the other players in the game don't have it too. I am talking about the same thing only in a mod.wz file that can be put into and taken out of the autoload folder with the same "non-crashing" outcome.
Transmission ends ...
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I like this idea. One thing that prevents this though:
Unit hitboxes, tower heights etc are currently determined by the polygons and connectors in the .pie files. This directly affects game balance. I also once managed to get the bunker aimpoint underground by just changing the .pie file, making it impossible to hit with direct fire weapons.
Changing the textures shouldn't affect anything though.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-