3DS 2 PIE converter

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: 3DS 2 PIE converter

Post by DevUrandom »

winsrp wrote:and by the way the link is not working.
Yes, the download server "lost" a few files in a hack.
I just fixed that, and uploaded a new compile of the converter r5209.
I didn't test it yet, though I do not assume there to be any problems, since sourcecode and compilation environment should not have changed.

Update: Uploaded a new archive, this time with Qt dlls.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

well i got a file not found with that link...
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

winsrp wrote:well i got a file not found with that link...
Works fine here...
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

you did something, now it works... :P

by the way what the text page option for?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

winsrp wrote:by the way what the text page option for?
The "texture page"? You can select which texture page will be choosen for this model. (This will not be imported from the 3ds file. Just the texture coordinates are converted.)

In Warzone the model textures are grouped into texture files, like "page-17-droid-weapons.png".
Of that name, only the first part up to, and including, the number ("page-17") is important to Warzone. The rest is discarded.
This way "page-7-barbarians-arizona.png", "page-7-barbarians-kevlar.png", "page-7-barbarians-urban.png" can exist along each other, but only one of them will be loaded for any given map. This way replacing the textures on per-campaign basis works, for example.
See it like this: "page-7-barbarians-arizona.png" 'provides' a "page-7" texture set. There can be multiple image files 'providing' a texture set, but only one of them can be loaded at a time.
If you want to add a new texture page, just choose one of the higher numbers (and name your texture file accordingly).
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

kage wrote:added debian compilation instructions to new wiki page at wiki.wz2100.net/3ds2pie
Why would one want to use a 3ds -> pie converter under linux, it won't run 3ds max anyways and blender is more than powerful enough.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

me, because i'm at constant war with blender^^ using cinema4d->3ds->pie, no problem

as for me i use (going to use) the command-line version
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

elio wrote:as for me i use (going to use) the command-line version
GUI will work, too, as long as you have Qt4 installed.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

hmmm...
I was thinking if I would need to learn C programming just to compile this... I've got a folder with
  • 3ds2pie.c
    3ds2pie_gui.cpp
    3ds2pie_gui.h
    3ds2pie_gui.pro
    3ds2pie_gui.ui
    3ds2pie_gui_de.ts
    COPYING
    main.cpp
I'm running Windows XP 32bits. Also, the "3ds2pie_gui.ui" shows as a file associated with 3dsmax.
Specifically, I just want to know how exactly can I build the executable.
If it's too painful to explain it all, just let me know, then I'll go learn programming. But getting my hands on an executable converter could make things *ALOT* easier, as I'm doing new art everyday and I do want to assemble a mod while I still have a little free time to do that.

Regards,
Olrox ;)
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Olrox wrote:hmmm...
I was thinking if I would need to learn C programming just to compile this... I've got a folder with
  • 3ds2pie.c
    3ds2pie_gui.cpp
    3ds2pie_gui.h
    3ds2pie_gui.pro
    3ds2pie_gui.ui
    3ds2pie_gui_de.ts
    COPYING
    main.cpp
I'm running Windows XP 32bits. Also, the "3ds2pie_gui.ui" shows as a file associated with 3dsmax.
Specifically, I just want to know how exactly can I build the executable.
If it's too painful to explain it all, just let me know, then I'll go learn programming. But getting my hands on an executable converter could make things *ALOT* easier, as I'm doing new art everyday and I do want to assemble a mod while I still have a little free time to do that.

Regards,
Olrox ;)

I just down-loaded Coverter r5209 from the following post and it's an executable that works right out of the box beautiful - no compiling necessary... Looks like you got your hand's on the source download instead.
winsrp wrote:and by the way the link is not working.
DevUrandom wrote:Yes, the download server "lost" a few files in a hack.

I just fixed that, and uploaded a new compile of the converter r5209.

I didn't test it yet, though I do not assume there to be any problems, since source code and compilation environment should not have changed.

Update: Uploaded a new archive, this time with Qt dlls.
Here is how it looks after I took the files out of the .zip archive and just put 'em in a folder I named "3DS 2 Pie Converter" and launched the executable:

Regards, whip :)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Ah, that's it... I thought I had to compile it, because it says on the wiki that it's on pre-alpha stage and the link leads to the trunk O_o

Shouldn't we place a link of that compiled version on the wiki page? I think it would help people that are getting started at modding (like me) :)
Or it would be a nuisance due to further updates?

I'll start doing some real work with it tomorrow, if I find any problems I'll post them here.

I never can thank you enough, whip!

Regards, Olrox
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Olrox wrote:Ah, that's it... I thought I had to compile it, because it says on the wiki that it's on pre-alpha stage and the link leads to the trunk O_o

Shouldn't we place a link of that compiled version on the wiki page? I think it would help people that are getting started at modding (like me) :)

Or it would be a nuisance due to further updates?
Yes, I agree.... should address the Wiki issue with a link to the executable version and some better explanation of the diffs. As is, it can be wretchedly misleading and that's not a good outcome for folks trying to get started in art modding.

Editing the wiki is a piece of cake and shouldn't pose a problem to future development updates.
I'll start doing some real work with it tomorrow, if I find any problems I'll post them here.

I never can thank you enough, whip!

Regards, Olrox
Cool. Yea, post any issues you come across.

It is because of your efforts and postings, Olrox, that I have been trying of late to collect and clarify all GFX related stuff that will support artists efforts to Mod WZ..... Make the process less confusing and frustrating, less pit-fall ridden, all of which discourages rather than encourages artists to pursue new artistry in the world of Warzone..

So this is all a good process you've set in motion bud, IMHO.

Regards, whip :D
XboxJosh
Trained
Trained

Post by XboxJosh »

:( Fails epically for me; My .3DS file is fine, but the converter only seems to convert one face?

Alias: Cipher[SSC]

System Specs:
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional
CPU TYPE: AMD Athlon II X2 250
CPU SPEED: 3000 MHz
SYSTEM MEMORY: 4 GB (2 x 2GB, DDR2)
GRAPHICS CARD MODEL: NVidia GTS 250
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

It worked right away for me, with this version:
3ds2pie-5209.7z
Did you compile your executable or downloaded the ready-to-go version?
XboxJosh
Trained
Trained

Post by XboxJosh »

I downloaded the last link, the same version you have...

Are there any dependencies I should know about?

Alias: Cipher[SSC]

System Specs:
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional
CPU TYPE: AMD Athlon II X2 250
CPU SPEED: 3000 MHz
SYSTEM MEMORY: 4 GB (2 x 2GB, DDR2)
GRAPHICS CARD MODEL: NVidia GTS 250