Map making, help needed badly...

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Doruletz
Trained
Trained

Map making, help needed badly...

Post by Doruletz »

Hello again...

Here's my problem:

I have downloaded and used lots of maps. There are a very few that I actually like a lot.
Mostly for my personal use, in skirmish games, I would like the ability to add/delete/modify features, structures, etc.
This is what I need help with first and foremost.
Online tutorials to map making or editing are NON EXISTENT (please post link if you know of any).
All I was able to find was some short videos on how to paint with GIMP or such...

Let's make a list of questions / problems I have:

1. - In a map .WZ file, where is the actual map image file located????? (Image like in a .PNG, .JPG, etc file).
I mean it has to include a graphic file, right??
2. - How do you load an already existing map into FLAME in order to be able to edit it for features, shape, size, number of players, structures, etc, etc???
3. - For the life of me, I could not find any app / software that will open / display the content of the following file types: .BJO, .TTP, .GAM

Also, just starting to use FLAME, and it keeps saying cannot find tilesets??? WTF with that??
It should have access to the tilesets in the game base.wz file, right??? Or do I need to actually load those into FLAME somehow???

And now, to end this post on a funny note...
Just to realize how hell bent I am on doing this, I even went to the trouble of braking my almost 5 years of Linux sobriety oath (when I switched to Linux I swore to never, ever again use Windows or anything else made by or patented under Microsoft) That pledge did wonders for me, I guaraDamn-T-you.
Going back to Windows after so long, I realized one thing:
IT SUCKS !!!!
Sorry, but some op dude says I can't use RED, because It's reserved for them ONLY for some cockamamie reason or another...
Again, rules...

What would take for us as humans to realize that life is much better for everybody if everyone only obeys 2 rules:

RULE 1 - DO NO HARM to anybody and anything, in any way. And, YES, that includes killing of anything you don't intend to eat
RULE 2 - NO OTHER RULES are to ever be made, enforced, published, etc.

Sorry for the deviation, my REBEL spirit gets fired up sometimes. Especially when I post a useful link and it gets taken down, for some other hole in the wall RULE reason...
So, back to Windows:
I mean Windows does not even know what to use to open the .WZ files???
Or asks what to open a config file with??
Not to mention that even for free software, such as Warzone 2100, the idiots at Redmond, WA want you to agree with the EULA License???
Again with rules and regulations, and unnecessary patents and copyrights for stuff that should be free by definition...

I HATE RULES !!!

I mean lots of people here make maps, so why all this secrecy??
If I know something, I share my knowledge when asked...
How about make that a RULE???
Last edited by vexed on 13 Jan 2017, 05:35, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: If you would actually read the correct forum section, most all of this is explained.
What do I think about Window$ ??? Just see my AVATAR...
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Map making, help needed badly...

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Look at this topic.

1. I believe warzone2100 has a tool that creates map previews automatically in game so you do not need a picture.
2. Open flame and then open the .gam file of the map (you will have to select the tile-set on a drop down menu on the textures tab.
3. These files are created with the map editor and should not be manually edited.

Also this wiki page has the tile-sets and object (chose the 3.1b4 file) files and a few documentation files.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

here is the link to the topic you already made viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12660&p=135564&hili ... me#p135525

I know its not fun getting the editor to work but read all that link to sharp flame by cowboy its a remake of flame and a bit better job more detailed.

To get a map preview you can load it into warzone and see a preview in the map select lobby.

I love rules it prevents idiots from ruining good things like civilisation.

Anyway go read the forum thread on the sharpflame editor and use that you can run it on linux using the mono lib

And Never use red its reserved for forum moderators

*edit, you said it, and you aren't :P
Last edited by vexed on 13 Jan 2017, 05:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod wanna-be ;)
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

Berg wrote: I love rules it prevents idiots from ruining good things like civilisation.
:lol2: :lol2: Made my day

Sorry for this post. Its against the rules. This is not a place for chat. :roll:
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

In all seriousness, this belongs in Mapping / Modding tools & discussions, NOT Addon discussions, no idea why people can't read. :(

So, if perhaps the OP would look in the correct section, they will find the answers they are looking for?
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Doruletz
Trained
Trained

Post by Doruletz »

Berg wrote:I love rules it prevents idiots from ruining good things like civilisation.
@ Berg, as always, you are very helpful. I will look up the info you posted. Thanks a lot.

As for your quote, while I totally agree with it in principle, I keep thinking about what Ben Franklin said:
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
And that's exactly what 99% of the rules do, offer people a fake sense of safety, while silently taking away their liberties.

But like montetank said, "This is not a place for chat."....
vexed wrote:In all seriousness, this belongs in Mapping / Modding tools & discussions, NOT Addon discussions, no idea why people can't read. :(
So, if perhaps the OP would look in the correct section, they will find the answers they are looking for?
@vexed:
Thank you for pointing that out, buddy. I will look there as well.
I just followed the logic that since maps are posted in the Addons section...
I see you already moved my thread in the right section, thanks.
Doruletz
Trained
Trained

Post by Doruletz »

Berserk Cyborg wrote:Look at this topic.

1. I believe warzone2100 has a tool that creates map previews automatically in game so you do not need a picture.
2. Open flame and then open the .gam file of the map (you will have to select the tile-set on a drop down menu on the textures tab.
3. These files are created with the map editor and should not be manually edited.

Also this wiki page has the tile-sets and object (chose the 3.1b4 file) files and a few documentation files.
@"Berserk Cyborg":
Thank you for your answer, I will look all that up.
What I was trying to find out mostly is this:
I have a map, I want to open it in FLAME and edit its content.
Like remove and/or add structures (for both players and scavengers), reshape some of the terrain features, like for example make the middle section passage narrower, more of a choke point. Add more trucks to the startup line (like 12 instead of 8 ), etc, etc...
Doruletz
Trained
Trained

Post by Doruletz »

@Berg and all others who offered help here:

I managed to get FlaME v1.29 Mono to work in my Linux Mint.
Took some "doing" to get Mono back on my Linux box, and here's why:

Whenever I install the Linux Mint OS on any PC of mine, the very first after-install thing I do is to always remove and block Mono like this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --purge remove libmono* cli-common* mono-runtime*
Next, I block mono from ever installing on my PC by doing this:

gksudo pluma /etc/apt/preferences.d/official-extra-repositories.pref
In the "official-extra-repositories.pref" file I add the following lines at the end:

Package: cli-common mono-runtime 
Pin: version * 
Pin-Priority: -100
And to conclude, I also run:

sudo apt-get autoremove
So, after I undone all of that, I re-installed Mono-Complete and some dependencies of it, like TCL 8.6, TK 8.6, TCL 8.6-dev, TK 8.6-dev and got FlaME v1.29 Mono to work.
For some reason, I cannot get SharpFlaME to work in Mono.
Anything I'm missing here??? Anything else I need to do?? Any other dependencies or anything else I need to install??

NOTE:
The Mono version that comes in my Linux Mint 18 LTS Sarah MATE repository is Mono-Complete Version: 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4, and YES, I also installed Mono-devel, same version.

Berg, please help. Thanks.
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

Doruletz wrote: What I was trying to find out mostly is this:
Doruletz, if you installed Flame correctly, just doubleclick on the >map.wz< file. The map should open automatically by Flame in map.bmp format. The plugin works.

Maybe this topic will help you
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11536&hilit=SharpFlame&start=45

Read Cowboys comment
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
Doruletz
Trained
Trained

Post by Doruletz »

@vexed, or anybody else that might know...

I see about 4 different kinds of licenses when you go to the final step to Compile a map in FlaME...

GPL v2+
CC BY 3.0 + GPL v2+
CC BY-SA 3.0 + GPL v2+
CC0

Can somebody explain to me (and maybe many others) what the heck all that means??
For example, I want to create a map from scratch and share it with you guys, as in post it in the Addons section here, which of those licenses should I choose??
And what do all of them mean, if anything?

EDIT:
I know GPL stands for General Public License and is the same a GNU, which is free for all, like Linux and everything pertaining to Linux...
So I can only assume that GPL v2+ should be same as GPL, only a more recent version???
Doruletz
Trained
Trained

Post by Doruletz »

montetank wrote:
Doruletz wrote: What I was trying to find out mostly is this:
Doruletz, if you installed Flame correctly, just doubleclick on the >map.wz< file. The map should open automatically by Flame in map.bmp format. The plugin works.

Maybe this topic will help you
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11536&hilit=SharpFlame&start=45

Read Cowboys comment
@montetank:
Thanks for your input, monte.
The older FlaME v1.29 Mono works fine, it's the newer SharpFlaME I can't get to work on my Linux PC...
I'm strictly a Linux only person, I DON'T DO WINDOW$, at least not since 2012, but....
My wife has the only computer in my household that still has Window$, as she needs it for some Astrology / Numerology software that I never bothered to port over to Linux.
So, I "borrowed" her PC while she was asleep, and I have seen that even the Window$ version of SharpFlaME does not work. It does start, but won't let you load the objects folder, and even if it does, there are errors that are being displayed, something about TTP missing...

NOTE:
Just in case anybody wonders what I have against Window$, watch this video, please:
http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/TEDxGE ... n05_HQ.ogv
If the link above does not work, same video is posted on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1AKIl_2GM
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

There you go:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Gener ... ic_License
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_license

Please also see:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/help_vampire.htm
Doruletz wrote: I know GPL stands for General Public License and is the same a GNU, which is free for all, like Linux and everything pertaining to Linux...
GNU is not even a license, it's a group of people :doh:
Doruletz
Trained
Trained

Post by Doruletz »

NoQ wrote:There you go:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Gener ... ic_License
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_license

Please also see:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/help_vampire.htm
Doruletz wrote: I know GPL stands for General Public License and is the same a GNU, which is free for all, like Linux and everything pertaining to Linux...
GNU is not even a license, it's a group of people :doh:
Thanks, NoQ, already got all that.
Even noticed that there is a newer GNU GPL v3, more comprehensive, and with even more guarantees that software will remain free to use, distribute, modify, etc.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

You could write your own licence.

I personally just go with the same licence warzone runs with.
Doruletz
Trained
Trained

Post by Doruletz »

Berg wrote:You could write your own licence.

I personally just go with the same licence warzone runs with.
That CC-0 is basically just a copyright waiver joke, really...
The GNU GPL v2+, and even better, the newest, GNU GPL v3, does lots more towards guaranteeing that nobody will ever turn around and charge money or impose copyrights or other user restrictions on any part, including "future versions".
If the the first GNU / GPL would have been written like GPL v3 is, Mr. Jobs wouldn't be able to slightly modify the Unix / Linux kernel, call it Mac OSX or iOS and pretend it's proprietary software...
Same thing would have happened with Google, Re: Android and Chrome OS.