Map making, help needed badly...

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Map making, help needed badly...

Post by NoQ »

If the the first GNU / GPL would have been written like GPL v3 is, Mr. Jobs wouldn't be able to slightly modify the Unix / Linux kernel, call it Mac OSX or iOS and pretend it's proprietary software...
Note that (1) no components of their kernel were never GPL of any kind, and (2) their kernel is currently open-source [1] (under FSF-approved license). You must be confusing it with the story around coreutils [2].
Doruletz
Trained
Trained

Post by Doruletz »

NoQ wrote:
If the the first GNU / GPL would have been written like GPL v3 is, Mr. Jobs wouldn't be able to slightly modify the Unix / Linux kernel, call it Mac OSX or iOS and pretend it's proprietary software...
Note that (1) no components of their kernel were never GPL of any kind, and (2) their kernel is currently open-source [1] (under FSF-approved license). You must be confusing it with the story around coreutils [2].
NoQ, you might be right, I'm not gonna argue any further..
To me, there's only ONE bigger picture and ONE absolute truth:
ALL SOFTWARE SHOULD BE 100% FREE, TO USE, MODIFY AND RE-DISTRIBUTE AT WILL.
WITH NO STRINGS ATTACHED, NO EMBEDDED TRACKING OR SPYWARE, NO UNWANTED AND UNSOLICITED ADVERTISING OF ANY KIND.
NOBODY SHOULD CHARGE PEOPLE ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR SOFTWARE, NOR IMPOSE ANY RESTRICTIONS ON ITS USE OR DISTRIBUTION WHATSOEVER
What do I think about Window$ ??? Just see my AVATAR...
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

ONE absolute truth
There are some parts in your "absolute truth" that are well-known to be self-contradictory.

For example, GPL in all forms explicitly protects your freedom to sell copies of software. Because if you restrict that, it'd be a restriction, and you said "no restrictions of any kind on distribution" - an example of a well-known contradiction solved by omitting one of the parts. GPL ensures freedom to the owner of a copy of the software, but doesn't automatically make everybody in the world an owner. This makes GPL a commercial license, and causes problems for us in making use of products with non-commercial-use-only (and, as such, non-free) licenses to improve the game.

My point all this time is, please stop SHOUTING incorrect stuff. At least until you start getting things right. Otherwise it is harmful.
Doruletz
Trained
Trained

Post by Doruletz »

NoQ wrote:
ONE absolute truth
There are some parts in your "absolute truth" that are well-known to be self-contradictory.

For example, GPL in all forms explicitly protects your freedom to sell copies of software. Because if you restrict that, it'd be a restriction, and you said "no restrictions of any kind on distribution"
NoQ, you are right again, they can try to sell it, but they are also obligated to make it available for free if they modify it or improve it in any way, shape or form.
So, if the exact same thing is largely available for free, who's gonna buy it???
Maybe some people will, for various reasons, one of them being to support the people creating and modifying it...
As an example: While I did see eBay listings selling Live DVD versions of Linux, and there are people out there that are actually buying them, you can also download the exact same version of Linux for free.
What do I think about Window$ ??? Just see my AVATAR...
Bentjudges
New user

Map making help needed badly

Post by Bentjudges »

hahaha love your mario map when will it be out?