Night and twilight

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
alaska
New user

Night and twilight

Post by alaska »

Does anyone know if warzone is capable of having night or anyway to change the world lighting?

It was something I was thinking about the other day.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Night and twilight

Post by Per »

Yes, you can script it in 3.2. Call setSunPosition(x, y, z) and setSunIntensity(ambient r, g, b, diffuse r, g, b, specular r, g, b).

You can also change the weather and the skybox... and even replace texture pages on the fly during the game.
alaska
New user

Post by alaska »

That's really good to know, it's also nice to be able to tint the lighting. I haven't done a lot of scripting before, only some for Mechwarrior 4 Mercs bots. I know their is some tutorials.

It would be nice to have it timed to create a day/night cycle.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

A little demo, Script.

Unfortunately, terrain shadows are still hardcoded, and it's hard to change terrain illumination through textures, because smooth transitions would require an enormous amount of textures. So there needs to be a better mechanism for terrain lighting before we have a full-featured day-night cycle.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

That's a cool concept, simulate time passing in game (reminds me of that person simulation game by EA Maxis). I guess this would be some future enhancement to change to make it happen. Other older games had different appearances of time i.e. Tiberian Sun with: Dusk, Dawn, & midnight I think? However it was static during the match. Maybe that could be the first step before making it dynamic?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Simulating the day/night cycle in the game is something that sounds cool in theory, but multiple people have tried and found to be merely distracting.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

I guess only if you did this in a more subtle way or had preset values like the game is day, night, dawn or dusk. It'd feel like time passing without being intrusive
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Starcraft2 has some really cool zombie mods/levels where day/night switching plays a vital role. I think we have scripting support to do the same now.