VTOL-only maps

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
NoQ
Special
Special

VTOL-only maps

Post by NoQ »

Just wanted to talk about how would you design a VTOL-only map. That is, where you can't reach your enemy by land or sea.

Cause it doesn't really instantly mean that you need to just make flat terrain and that's it. The map still needs terrain consideration for quite a lot of stuff:
  • When you build Anti-Air emplacements, any hills around them will disrupt their fire and block their vision, reducing their effectiveness. A perfect AA defense would involve a height gradient that goes down towards the enemy. On the contrary, if you surround the starting base with a huge terrain wall, it will give attackers quite a lot of advantage, as your AA defenses won't be able to see the enemy coming until a plasmite bomber is right on top of their heads.
  • If oil derricks are spread out, the player may consider using mobile AA, usually on hovers. Then terrain controls how quickly your hovers will be able to move yourself around and react on attacks.
  • Finally, if we expect transporters to work, it is necessary to design a few landing spots for them that should be easy enough to clean by the enemy, but not too easy to make it pointless to protect them in the first place.
:hmm:
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Re: VTOL-only maps

Post by vexed »

You need to make a custom bot for that. :)
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

vexed wrote:You need to make a custom bot for that. :)
NullBot3 handles that, i think. Just still lacks transporters.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

I'd personally want to make a map that's like Corvana Chasm from Supreme Commander 2, where both bases are only accessible by air, and where many "islands" dot the map, with resources to claim. Although air power is important in that map, it's quite possible to win through artillery, or even by airlifting or teleporting ground troops.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
JamesTQuirk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JamesTQuirk »

Hi I am here just to mention, I read your posts, it got me thinking, obviously not enough yet, but I adapted a map to VTOL, it has problems, but runs, it is a test ....

Let me know, if there anything in it to keep, or delete ......

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=11262

A sea map Idea, was the start of my lunancy .....