Ubuntu 14.04 map directory. pls read

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
DrWolf
Greenhorn

Ubuntu 14.04 map directory. pls read

Post by DrWolf »

Hi all,

a have a "maybe" quiet stupid question but I am an old men; now searching for hours regarding a solution but could not find sth. helpful...

I compiled warzone 3.1.2 on Ubuntu 14.04 as superuser and played a lot.
Today I decided to make a map with flame. Map is now finished and I want to test it.

So, because I run warzone as superuser and the game directory located on my desktop I thought the map folder should be there, too.
I searched in that folder with Nautilus and found following path:

./warzone2100-3.1.2/data/mp/multiplay/maps

...there is no other map folder in it...

But the number of maps are not the same as ingame and my map was not shown on the map-list, so I seached on my complete hard-disk for other warzone folders, map directorys, map names etc. but could not find another with a map folder included.

Please help an old men to find his "f**k..." map directory on ubuntu.
I am so sad...

Best regrards,
Dr. Wolf
DrWolf
Greenhorn

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 map directory. pls read

Post by DrWolf »

Okay guys, I talked with Berg today and we found out, that the path is on Ubuntu after the compiling process not <username>/home.warzone2100-3.1/maps. It is located on /root/.warzone2100-3.1/maps. So the problem is solved for me.

Maybe this is helpful for others, too.

I will show you my maps as soon I have finished some (maybe tomorrow XD )
Thanks for your time!

Best regards,
Dr Wolf
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Well old man like you asked in irc again put the new map you made in the empty folder called .warzone2100-3.1/maps
Normally this is in your home directory for me it is "/home/berg/.warzone2100-3.1/maps" this is where you put all extra maps and the maps you get from lobby when playing a new one.
I hope this helps
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

I hate to be the guy that comes along after that fact and says you are doing it all wrong, but here we are.

First: Don't do anything as root unless being root is absolutely necessary. You will thank me for this when you don't delete your entire filesystem due to a typo.

2nd: Building Warzone - Do not compile Warzone as root. Do this instead:

As your regular user, untar the Warzone package somewhere you have write access (like your home directory).
As a regular user, do the standard ./configure & make dance.
At this point, you can run Warzone without installing as src/warzone2100. Handy for development and testing

To install Warzone system-wide, do this: sudo make install
Files get installed into appropriate subdirs of /usr/local
This has to be done as root (sudo) because you are putting files into system directories.

Side Note:
the path is on Ubuntu after the compiling process not <username>/home.warzone2100-3.1/maps. It is located on /root/.warzone2100-3.1/maps.
More correctly, the path created when you run Warzone is $HOME/.warzone2100-3.1/maps
$HOME is the user's home directory. For root, this is /root. For a regular user, this is something like /home/<username>.
DrWolf
Greenhorn

Post by DrWolf »

Many thanks for that detailed explanation. I do not compile a program or game regularly, just followed "blind" a how-to from the web. Actually I am not a professional with Linux....

I will keep your words for further actions!

Best regards,
Dr. Wolf