Warzone 2100: Contingency (Beta now released)

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Re: Warzone 2100: Contingency (Beta now released)

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

aubergine wrote:Super transport only allows cyborgs onboard.
Huh. You're right. I didn't check to see whether or not the Super Transport was actually being treated as a tank transport instead of a Cyborg Transport. I presume that this bug's also present in vanilla Warzone 2100?

Edit: Scratch that. This bug isn't present in Warzone 2100 rc3 (which I'm currently using for development purposes). I'm guessing that it was fixed in-between versions? I don't often update game files in-between new versions of Warzone 2100, so I wouldn't have noticed.

In any case, the bug should be fixed by the next version.
aubergine wrote:In later stages of game, nullbots seem to stop building trucks.
I noticed, though NullBotSW already fixed that problem a long time ago.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

I was going to wait for version 0.8 to be ready, but version 0.7.9 is out now. Like I said before, I've already adapted rules.js into a more modular include-driven format. Although it works for me currently, I'd like to know whether or not it works for you guys. Also, I'm thinking about doing a side-project where I'd adapt the base game's rules.js file into a similar include-driven format.

I've also fixed the aforementioned Super Transport bug that kept it from being able to load tanks onto it.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I've got the rules.js sample posted earlier downloaded to my desktop and will endeavour to take a look and post some feedback.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Thanks for 0.7.9 update, testing now.

The scavs don't appear to be making any choppers or vehicles, although they are creating trucks. Tested on maps where they have both factories, gens and derricks.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote: Edit: Scratch that. This bug isn't present in Warzone 2100 rc3 (which I'm currently using for development purposes). I'm guessing that it was fixed in-between versions? I don't often update game files in-between new versions of Warzone 2100, so I wouldn't have noticed.
O_o O_o rc3 :?: :?: :?:
why don't you update?
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

SitRep for "power generator required" seems a bit flakey - it keeps telling me I need a power gen when I have 2 unused pgens (ie. I have spare capacity for another 8 derricks).

Heavy Rocket Bastion doesn't appear to shoot at ground units - it shoots at VTOLs though.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Well can I play with choppers or what and where can I get it to run on 3.1.0 stable?
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Contingency works fine on 3.1 RC3 *or above* = it works on 3.1.0, and no doubt in the future will be updated to work on 3.2 once that goes in to beta.

The scavenger faction AI (as in scav player, not a normal player slot) bundled with Contingency currently seems to be lagging behind the Ultimate Scav Mod.

To play as scavengers, you'd need to uninstall Contingency and install the WZ Mini Scav Wars mod: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9913

Would be great if Contingency could be updated so you could start out as scavenger faction then evolve in to more advanced tech, but with option of starting at more advanced tech (eg. if T2 is selected).
Urnight
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Urnight »

It's impossible to turtle with this mod, only way to succeed is to be aggressive. Kind of boring if you ask me because you would instantly know everyone is being aggressive. Not once would you say "Oh crap, this player is turtling and get getting a technology lead" instead you would say "Hey look, that noob is trying to use a different strategy, let's kill him."

Edit: I think I should be more in depth about my "turtling" experiences. See, early on if you get a decent amount of trucks you cannot be messed with because towers are cheap and effective, But turtling fails very very soon after when the AI starts massing mortars and on maps with six players when your getting attacked on two fronts, it becomes an impossible task to hold everything back. Even if you got mortar tech yourself it will only delay your destruction until the AI gets sensors up then they out range you, at that point you're screwed.

"Make tanks and push the sensor towers"
The point of turtling is to conserve as much power as possible and devote it to research to get an early lead, this goes against that principle.

Oh and to top it all off, I got close once to defending successfully, then the AI got artillery missiles and began shooting things they shouldn't even be able to see, such as my bombard pits.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

@Urnight - I find turtling with this mod fairly easy. In early game, some well placed mortar bunkers will keep the enemy off your land. The research tree takes a while to get used to, but you can get to mortar bunker v. quick (you might need some tanks before hand just in case enemy rushes you), but once you get mortars they will keep you safe until mid game. Just be sure to get ripples or arty before the enemy does and either of those lines will last in to late game.
Urnight
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Urnight »

@aubergine Ok, i'll try it out.

I want this mod to be as complete and as unique as possible with multiple different play styles. Kind of like Starcraft 2 where you can go for multiple different builds with different goals.

Also, by rushing cyborgs and weapons tech I can defeat 3 AI's in a row with just cyborgs and a few tanks leading them to absorb damage. Nerf cyborgs?
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I think it's more of a need to update the AIs to use the Contingency techs and components better, currently they seem somewhat limited.
Urnight
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Urnight »

Any ETA on borg rush fix?

Seriously, get like 6 medium/heavy body tanks and 100 cyborgs and win 1 v 11
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

I've been on hiatus for the past month or 2, but I have a new balance change in the works:
- Many Gauss Mortar and Gauss Howitzer structures will be downgraded from Plasteel status to Plascrete status. While this does mean that they'd be easier to destroy, they'd take less time and power not only to build, but also to research.

Unfortunately, this would break compatability with the NullBot Contingency AI that's currently being bundled alongside the mod, since the research and structure definitions for the mod have been changed. Because of this, I'm now working on finishing up development of NullBotSW, which is already being adapted to work with the next version of Contingency. Once it's ready, I'll start bundling it in place of the old NullBot Contingency AI.

Edit: @Urnight: That should really depend on what the Cyborgs and tanks are armed with. For example, how would a bunch of Lancer Cyborgs fare against a bunch of MRA Tanks?

Although, you do bring up a good point regarding balance between weapons with similar damage-per-second, but with differences in terms of damage-per-shot (or damage-per-salvo with regards to weapons like MRAs) and rate-of-fire. I've been doing some simulations, and I've found that, in certain cases, units armed with high damage-per-shot weapons can defeat units armed with weapons with lower damage-per-shot, but higher damage-per-second.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I've found that, in certain cases, units armed with high damage-per-shot weapons can defeat units armed with weapons with lower damage-per-shot, but higher damage-per-second.
Emm but that's trivial, that's what armor is supposed to affect. Armor eats up more damage of weapons with lower damage-per-shot.