[3.1+] NullBot: an adaptive skirmish AI

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
cue
Trained
Trained

Re: [3.1+] NullBot: an adaptive skirmish AI

Post by cue »

We tried to play with alpha2 (3.1 RC3), it was much easier than the original NullBot.

The alpha2 version did not seem to update its units or static defenses. Its initial attacks wore ok, but then it became very easy.
Its base building was small and pitiful in a high oil map.

Hope you keep up the good work.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Were you playing NullBotSW while the Contingency mod was loaded? It currently only works there.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
cue
Trained
Trained

Post by cue »

no, not using the Contingency mod :oops:
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

@Shadow - for that reason I think it's prolly best to upload your Contingency version of NB to the Contingency topic for now.

Hopefully as things evolve we can get one version of NB that can be adapted (I know NoQ is already working towards making that happen). Maybe the 'ruleset' he is working on could first try and include a file and if not found pull in default ruleset. For example:

Code: Select all

if ( !include("multiplay/skirmish/customNBrules.js") ) {
   include("multiplay/skirmish/standardNBrules.js");
}
Then Contingency could just provide the customNBrules.js and the standard NullBot would use the Contingency stuff instead of standard stuff.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
cue
Trained
Trained

Post by cue »

Please: Sorry to say that we all do NOT understand everything you are doing/performing.

noobs are a pain :)
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

NoQ: Is there a NullBot mailing service available to tell me when a new version appears, so I do not need to have a look into the sourceforge every day? :)
Last edited by themac on 29 Oct 2013, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

themac: emm dunno. Probably sourceforge subscriptions are possible, if you have an account here; at least i get some notifications on my account, but not sure how to direct them to the mail.

v2.03 - mostly a bugfix release.

Changes:
  • Fix (properly!) a bug that caused building power generator too early.
  • Improve timer randomization to reduce stuttering!
  • Master only: make chat messages translatable.
I also repeat the old announcement: in 3.1.0 there's a bug that causes NullBot to use his first truck to build oil derricks instead of lab or factory. This is a bug on the game side, which will be fixed in the next 3.1 release; i won't be providing a workaround.
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

@ NoQ: When playing with NB I notice that an effective strategy to protect my derics is to build walls around them. NB will send units to attack the derick but not the walls. Anything but indirect artillary will just sit there for a few minutes then give up. As NB uses a lot of VTOLS with different types of bombs the walls typically get blown up after a while but ground units are oblivious to the walls.

If there are defences NB will usually attack them, but not plain walls. (Yet NB will sit there and attack straight hardpoints (no turret) at the entrance of my base)

Is this intended behavior? I'm using the version of NB released with the curent 3.1 master and playing on hard.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

J.Vaughan: this thing is quite oblivious. I believe it's an issue that should be solved on the micro AI level (a C++ code that controls single unit's behaviour, the way they follow orders given by the players (AI or humans)).

Most of the time (when attacking your base or harassing derricks) NullBot orders his units to DORDER_SCOUT (equivalent to a human't Alt+click), which often leads to attacking walls even if there are no enemies at all around. But sometimes when recieving this order and having the target very close units just bump into the wall, which is the trouble. When responding to an attack, NullBot issues DORDER_ATTACK instead, which makes more sense on a moving target (since scout order is tied to ground, while attack order is tied to object). In this case it will ignore walls completely. But it's not the case with your report; you're clearly talking about some problem within the scout order.
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

NoQ wrote:J.Vaughan: ...I believe it's an issue that should be solved on the micro AI level...
I think it's on the micro level too
Most of the time (when attacking your base or harassing derricks) NullBot orders his units to DORDER_SCOUT (equivalent to a human't Alt+click), which often leads to attacking walls even if there are no enemies at all around. But sometimes when recieving this order and having the target very close units just bump into the wall, which is the trouble. When responding to an attack, NullBot issues DORDER_ATTACK instead, which makes more sense on a moving target (since scout order is tied to ground, while attack order is tied to object). In this case it will ignore walls completely. But it's not the case with your report; you're clearly talking about some problem within the scout order.
I'll play around with it a little bit more and submit a bug report if need be. Does the nexus AI use a similar command as DORDER_SCOUT?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Does the nexus AI use a similar command as DORDER_SCOUT?
Yes, unless he does an "all-out attack" (with more than 40 units).
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

v2.04, and i think it'd be the last release of this NullBot branch. Here's the only change i had here for quite a while:
  • Fix old issues with machinegun and cannon VTOL behaviour on 3.2+, making use of the new .armed property. Doesn't affect 3.1.
As you might have noticed, work on NullBot 3 is going on in a separate thread.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

v2.05, had to make one more after all. Again, it doesn't affect NullBot2 behaviour on Warzone 2100 v3.1.x.
  • Fix cyborg body stats for v3.2+. Now works on the latest git master snapshots.
  • Implement a v3.2-specific build order (backported from NullBot3).
P.S. I hate sourceforge. They made some banners and stuff that don't get loaded because external websites are slow, and the page doesn't get loaded before they respond, it takes 10 minutes for the page to load before i can upload files, in all browsers =/
Bonsaiheld
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bonsaiheld »

Hm... I tried your extra personalities. But it seems that the personalities MC and MR do nothing. The trucks just stay there after the game starts and nothing happens. Hover seems to work.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Bonsaiheld: works for me, please report everything else (game version, AI version, any other mods loaded, stderr logs, and, most importantly, your physfs package version if you're on linux, cause v2.0.2 has a known bug that causes such things, and the game does warn about that).