[DEPRECIATED] Campaign 4 (Old thread)

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: [BETA][Curr: Release-16] Campaign 4 Testing & Bug Report

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

We've a debug tool?! I take it it's on Master (and thus Cam 4 won't load on it yet)...

Some guidance in getting it working on Master would be appreciated, ie what the structural changes are versus 3.1. I notice there are more .ini files in use on Master ...

Think I'll spend tonight getting it going on Master, then proceed in a westerly direction. :D
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

The biggest change is that the stats files are being changed to .ini format. Expect more changes in the stats formats to come. And of course there is a lot more of the js API, but backwards compatible with 3.1 API.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

I should probably wait until 3.2's ini system is finished. I only want to have to port it *once* hehe..

Meanwhile, development will continue on 3.1. I've been thinking more about how to tie the story all together from the three story threads ... and I'm coming up short, sadly. Reality has a way of dampening ones' creativity.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

I think I may be experiencing "burnout". That's the best thing I can call it. A combination of frustration and fatigue.

You know how it is when you know what you want to do but not how? Something approaching that.

Little niggling problems seem to pile up until the easy way is the only way to solve them?

Here are the present issues:

- Minimap toggling via the FakeHQ does NOT work. Both Aubergine and I have tried to fix the problem to no avail. The .js API on 3.1 is NOT mature enough to run Cam 4 on its' own, and it appears that there is NO communication whatsoever between wzscript and .js (thus the problems).
- M11 will NOT enable structures for building when loaded from M1. I have tried every permutation in gamedesc.lev to load it and it simply will NOT work (camstart, camchange, etc). This qualifies as a showstopper problem of its' own right.
- Too many structures loading during M1. The performance hit is too great to ignore, and is due to the way I have M1~M7 set up. One large mission branching out into three different storylines is not the problem, it's having it as one long mission on a map stuffed to the gills with things needed to MAKE all of those missions work. I need to "split it up" after all, and that's the only real fix that obeys good practices.

So, what does this mean?

- Missions will be split up and chain-loaded (like Cam 1-3)
- Scripts need to be retooled and rewritten to accommodate. Having enough missions won't be a problem, as there's enough material for three campaigns on the M1 map alone.
- Performance will be optimal.
- Control of the script will likewise be optimal, both for the player and the dev alike.

So it appears that my conclusions a couple of weeks ago were proper after all.

I will take a short break, and then decide how best to proceed.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Is the "too many structures" issue something to do with wzscript? What's actually causing the performance hit?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Nope, too many structures is the way I've had the maps. Cam 1-3 did maps in sections, and split up missions that I have instead NOT split up. The Scavs end up with nearly 20 factories ot once -- far too many for the game to ever be MEANT to handle. Then we have all those features, droids, etc. and it adds up. So, by splitting up Cam 4's missions I'll avoid that issue altogether.

I've already got M1 running by itself, and it's silky smooth (as it should be). New map compile does things Pumpkin's way (split mission areas up) and it's running at optimal speed. Kinda seals the deal for me.

Not to worry, for anyone keeping track of the Divergent Paths and Multiple Egress points -- doing things this way gives far more control than before.

I have to shuffle some of the story stuff around (ok, a LOT of it) but it'll work out in the end.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Alrighty, so I've had a sleep and some time to process how to move forward.

- I'm still convinced that this is the right course of action.
- The story will still be interactive -- more so, in fact, since we can load maps that reflect changes to the story. Shuffling the story around should be minimal, now.
- The preliminary M1 compile runs silky smooth, and does so with more 'decoration'. Yes folks, it's a win-win for me. :lol2: With all the trees it actually LOOKS like Alaska now.

Onward!
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Spent most of the night and morning working on some changes I've made to the main map.

- M11 and M12 have found their maps moved to M1's arena .. an efficient (and FAR more interesting) use of space indeed. This move solves a LOT of problems to boot, mainly technical.
- M4's area has been moved northward, replacing M6's arena in total. M6 has been dropped completely, as we're going to be doing something else for "Making Peace".
- Everyone will now do the missions meant for M11~M13. Previously, only those following the "M4-North" storyline could get these missions.
- Likewise everyone will do M3 and M4's missions again .. with a twist.
- I now have a proper "end scenario" for the Campaign -- and it'll be a shocker.

More to come as it happens.
Bryan See
New user

Re: [DEPRECIATED] Campaign 4 (Old thread)

Post by Bryan See »

I think this campaign thread is depreciated. Where can I find the new thread about this?