Maps of the 452nd

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
ScEEcH452
Rookie
Rookie

Maps of the 452nd

Post by ScEEcH452 »

This topic is for the maps that I make, for whatever reason I happen to make them. I try to stay away from the "four on the top, four on the bottom" map styles, and am always trying new ideas that are at least original to me (most of the time anyway :D)
I will probably make a couple arena style maps, but for the most part I take much inspiration from maps like Basingstoke, Rolling Hills (That map is effin' B-E-A-YOUTIFUL), and even Ariza, over-designed as it is.

Note: These maps were created for 2.3.8 and hopefully onward, and have not been tested on the master versions. Attempt at your own risk. If they run, that's great, lemme know and I'll update that map's post with compatibility notes.

Staging Grounds* is the 1 on 1 map that features opposing corner bases with chokepoint entrances, two corner Scavenger bases, and a large Scavenger base in the very center to prevent early-game rush tactics. Both players must work together (sort of) to annihilate the center base, however the corner bases can be ignored, at least for a little while.

This map supports Advanced Bases, and plays well with them, also supports No Bases and Bases. So if starting with a defended entrance isn't your thing, (I understand, I rarely play with anything but No Bases) it won't cripple your ability to survive if you choose No Bases.

I was hoping I could add more than three files at once, as I have a couple more screenshots, but it appears I cannot. :(

*This map also has an easter egg of sorts, props to the first person that figures it out.

Other maps uploaded:

Winding Death
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8401&p=86826#p86826

Please leave feedback**, as if you can help me make my maps better, you benefit from it too!
**If your feedback is trolling it'll probably just get ignored. Nothing personal, but if your statement is something like, "YOU SHOULD PUT IN HOWITZERS INSTEAD OF MORTARS AND STARTING BASES SHOULD HAVE 9001 LASATS!!!11eleventy", chances are neither me nor anyone else are even going to bother acknowledging your comment.
Attachments
Green assaulting the center Scavenger base
Green assaulting the center Scavenger base
Map Preview Screenshot
Map Preview Screenshot
2c-StagingGrounds.wz
(42.09 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Last edited by ScEEcH452 on 15 Sep 2011, 23:31, edited 11 times in total.
Want to know how I find inspiration to make Warzone maps? Easy.
1: Play Warzone
2: While in FlaME, listen to: http://endlessvideo.com/watch?v=fx74l98XLuM
3: Talk about maps with this community and my friends.
ScEEcH452
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Maps of the 452nd

Post by ScEEcH452 »

This post is reserved for bug reports and such. :)
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

ScEEcH452 :)

Hello :)

Soory for being off topic, but I cannot report any bugs as I did not see any of your maps, I used the search engine where I provided your nick name and the machine told me there is no such person, so.. could you please provide link to your maps, in the first post for example ?? :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

ScEEcH452 wrote:I will upload them and a couple screenshots soon (i.e. tomorrow)
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

ups my mistake :oops:

then waiting impatiently :geek:
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
ScEEcH452
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ScEEcH452 »

The first map, Staging Grounds, is now up. I look forward to any feedback except blatant trolling.
ScEEcH452
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ScEEcH452 »

My second map, Winding Death, has been uploaded now also.
This is a 2 vs. 6 siege map, where the first two bases ( 0 and 1 ) are to team up and fight the remaining 6, either as newbie players, or various difficulty level AIs. This map is quite hard, and not even because the entire path is a chokepoint with oil in it.

The AI player's defenses are so intensely strong, so well combined, and so tightly packed, it would take an extremely concentrated effort, as well as probably a few kamikaze squads, to fully eradicate them.

I myself have played this map a few times, and after a while the constant battle is quite mind-numbing. I have not progressed far enough into the map itself to take out even one enemy player, so I believe the task of killing them all is near-impossible.

I should also add, as a 'challenge' of sorts for this map:

No VTOLs allowed. :twisted:

Air units simply bypass the intricate (lol) curving corridors of this map, doing little more than irritating those who worked their way up using just tanks and cyborgs.
If you don't buy that, than it feels cheap; air units would be overpowered, given the narrow corridors, they'd be out of the firing sight of most AA turrets before they got to fire more than a couple bursts.

This map was originally made for me and a friend LANing a game or two where we wanted a challenge, but I uh... took too long to make it, and any LAN games have yet to happen.

I plan to eventually 'reincarnate' this map with a 3 vs. 5 variation, as well as a more square, industrial scenario, in the hopes that it flows better.

Known bugs:
Units will hug cliff edges. I recommend placing defenses just around corners, and artillery on opposing walls, I think it may be more effective.
This map runs really slow. I hope you have a fast CPU! I start the game running at about 20 FPS (that's frames per second for those that don't know) and about 30 minutes in it was down to about 7.
Attachments
8c-WindingDeath.wz
The map. You kind of need it if you plan to play on it.
(61.83 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
In-game map preview
In-game map preview
Sick0
Trained
Trained

Post by Sick0 »

Should these be compat. with nightly or just 2.3.8?

Thanks!
ScEEcH452
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ScEEcH452 »

Updated first post to clarify version compatibility. :D :P
ScEEcH452
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ScEEcH452 »

There is now a third map in the works.

All I can think to call it right now is Map4Ptest. Original, eh?

Premise: Asymmetric rolling hills type map, four players, 250 x 250. It's gonna be HUGE! Each base will be rather well fortified, with bunkers, hardpoints, a few Hurricane sites, and mortars. Not OP level anything though, highest is Medium Cannon Hardpoints, and those are kind of scarce. It'll be up to the player to reinforce his/her base more than starting level. Base oil derricks will be near the entrances to the bases themselves, encouraging the player to FORTIFY the entrance more, as well as making for good potential hit & run tactics on player oil.

There will be multiple outcroppings with one, sometimes two derricks, maybe some scavenger defenders, haven't yet reasoned whether or not I want to put them in this map. Terrain will be, again, rolling hills style, so I anticipate (and encourage) moving tank fleets under cover of tall hills out of sensor range. Challenge for this map will be no Satellite and Fog of War enabled.

The only downside is this map won't get much work for the next couple of days, as I'll likely not be home. That's fine though, I plan to be hanging out with a bunch of friends, one of whom is coming back from Texas, and I can throw ideas and suggestions at them, maybe receive a few from them, maybe make my map better, eh?

TEASER SCREENSHOT FROM EXTREME ALPHA!:
Attachments
Base 0; First Build
Base 0; First Build
ClockWork
Trained
Trained

Post by ClockWork »

Ooooo~ cant wait to fit my base with goodies ^^
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

The previous two are interesting

I do observe yes :geek: :hmm:

The time will show :lecture:

Regards - Mero
ScEEcH452
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ScEEcH452 »

Update: 4map is being worked on again, progress is being made, but this map is huge, it'll take a while to finish.

Ideas for another map are in place, though nothing is being done about them yet.
This map will be designed after turning gears, the name "Clockworks" comes to mind. I really can't get into any greater detail than that, as that's as far as I've thought it out. :lol2:

As I type this I am multitasking finishing base 1 (that's player two :)) in 4map, so that map may be ready for testing in the next couple of days.

Edit: Manually aligning cliff tiles really isn't as boring as I thought it would be, though it is making me sleepy.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

It is really nice to see such a big passion in what you have started to do, let us hope that it will last :)

Or it is another flash in the pan...

Regards - Mero
ScEEcH452
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ScEEcH452 »

Merowingg wrote:It is really nice to see such a big passion in what you have started to do, let us hope that it will last :)

Or it is another flash in the pan...
I hope not. I really do enjoy making maps. I'd like to not stop, but nothing's carved in stone, eh?
I'll probably have days, maybe even a week or two, where I just lose all momentum in map making, but it's also entirely possible I'll just come back and make like nine maps following that, so I dunno.

The point is my MENTALITY is that I'm here to stay.

Edit to prevent double posting:
EHEHEHEHEAHAHA I just discovered I can stretch FlaME across both my monitors...
Also, is there a way to change FlaME's max render distance? I haven't scoured every available document on the subject, but it's not that big a problem so I'll just see if I can get an answer here.

Edit to prevent triple posting:
Added new screenshot for 4map (I still need a name for the damn map...)
Attachments
Showcase of Base 2 and the nearby "Cliff 'O' Doom, which has a couple resources near it, and provides a back door to attack this base.
Showcase of Base 2 and the nearby "Cliff 'O' Doom, which has a couple resources near it, and provides a back door to attack this base.