maps by NoQ

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: maps by NoQ

Post by NoQ »

4c-SerenityFinal

Yet another remake. Added one oil in the center, removed two oils on islands, moved scavenger factories to the center, increased spectator bases.
Attachments
Serenity4.png
Serenity4.png (17.57 KiB) Viewed 11909 times
4c-SerenityFinal.wz
(35.87 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
Last edited by NoQ on 15 Feb 2012, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
tmp500
Trained
Trained

Post by tmp500 »

oh.... i mixed up the no base spec map with the serenity map ^ and still didn't try the new scavangers... but the single oil in the center is sweet :))
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

6c-Reunion

A very simple map. That's a squared-like map for 6 players. 8 oils per player in every base and that's it.
It is symmetric as a 3x3 map, but it should be balanced for FFA or 2x2x2 as well.
The big mountain in the middle makes it hard to turtle up the center and gain control of it in team matches.
The spectator locations are remaining unmodded; they won't work in "no bases" mode.
Attachments
Reunion.png
Reunion.png (51.8 KiB) Viewed 12238 times
8c-Reunion_s.wz
v1.0
(66.05 KiB) Downloaded 755 times
kracker
Trained
Trained

Post by kracker »

ooh, looks nice will have to try it out today!
Error: Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue.
~Co-Founder of the clan BDC.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

NoQ wrote:6c-Reunion
but it should be balanced for [...] 2x2x2 as well.
I must desagree with that. The lack of oil on the remaining of the map kill any motivation to attack someone. You'll get nothing from that unless you spend a lot of energy to take down one base entirely. Team A attack team B but they only end up damaged against team C.

Of course it's a wargame, and someone will always do a stupid move... but the fact is, the team that take a move first reduce it chance to win. The dynamic of the map is to not move.

Can i suggest you remove one oil from each base and you place them around the mountain in the middle of each base. That way there will be a short term battle all around the mountain.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

RE: Reunion, This map is nice looking version of Squared, imo. Aside from needing some oil in the middle I think it'd be nice if the mountain-in-the-middle became a few spires so you could cross the map and choose who to attack better.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

He-he, i knew everybody will hate it. Just one guy told me to make something like that, and later i felt it to be strange to keep it secret (:

P.S. by "balanced" i meant "symmetric enough" and nothing else (:
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

There's always the temptation to fill up the middle, but in my experience it has the effect of breaking up game play - units often get caught up in minor skirmishing rather than full tilt battles.

What is of interest, though, is trying to create a "double ring" kind of map, where there are four or so bases around the outside of the map and four or so bases in an inner circle - plus - and this is important - a clear play area in the centre. I tried to do this with riftriver, a mash up of Rift Valley and the wonderful River Canyon. It is very unbalanced but it can be fun with a gung ho mod like the 104AI.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Yes the Reunion map is interesting, I have learned somethig from it :) (hard to explain what by a short sentence and even if i try I think you still will not understand)
What is of interest, though, is trying to create a "double ring" kind of map, where there are four or so bases around the outside of the map and four or so bases in an inner circle - plus - and this is important - a clear play area in the centre. I tried to do this with riftriver, a mash up of Rift Valley and the wonderful River Canyon.
zydonk it sounds really interesting for me, can you please send me links to those mentioned here ?? And if you could tell me which was the one from which you have based on, and which one is supposed to be the one you have wanted to achieve.

I am sorry but I didnt find those using google.. but when I type various combination I still have strange results.. :augh:

zydonk if you will ignore me I will understand ;) although I like the idea very much !!
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

zydonk wrote:There's always the temptation to fill up the middle, but in my experience it has the effect of breaking up game play - units often get caught up in minor skirmishing rather than full tilt battles.
Despite making this map, i still tend to disagree (: Unless you put some oil in the middle, the battle isn't going to happen at all; even if it does, you can't really make any progress in it, like capturing strategic locations, gaining temporary economical advantage ... i don't think all these things should be eliminated as a part of micromanagement.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Merowingg wrote:Yes the Reunion map is interesting, I have learned somethig from it :) (hard to explain what by a short sentence and even if i try I think you still will not understand)
What is of interest, though, is trying to create a "double ring" kind of map, where there are four or so bases around the outside of the map and four or so bases in an inner circle - plus - and this is important - a clear play area in the centre. I tried to do this with riftriver, a mash up of Rift Valley and the wonderful River Canyon.
zydonk it sounds really interesting for me, can you please send me links to those mentioned here ?? And if you could tell me which was the one from which you have based on, and which one is supposed to be the one you have wanted to achieve.

I am sorry but I didnt find those using google.. but when I type various combination I still have strange results.. :augh:

zydonk if you will ignore me I will understand ;) although I like the idea very much !!

The Map sticky seems to have disappeared!

Rift Valley is a Pumpkin map, so that will come with the game. Herewith the other two for dload. You can see in riftriver that quite a lot of terrain around the periphery goes uncontested. I let this be because I want the struggle to tend in towards the centre. Divine_Avenger's map is quite remarkable in many ways. The bases seem hopelessly unbalanced, but because the terrain is so varied, it is possible to survive in even the weakest of them (in the southwest). What I tried to do in riftriver was pile on the pressure by adding relatively secure bases on the outside, which, however, need to get past the inner bases in order to go anywhere. It can be chaotic, but I have seen some huge battles even so.

This kind of map may be for sk only; they are too complex for the hectic pace of mp (from what I see in the uploaded vids).
Attachments
4c-river_canyon.wz
Divine_Avenger's only map
(9.65 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
8c-riftriver.wz
Mash up of Rift Valley and River Canyon
(52.67 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

NoQ wrote:
zydonk wrote:There's always the temptation to fill up the middle, but in my experience it has the effect of breaking up game play - units often get caught up in minor skirmishing rather than full tilt battles.
Despite making this map, i still tend to disagree (: Unless you put some oil in the middle, the battle isn't going to happen at all; even if it does, you can't really make any progress in it, like capturing strategic locations, gaining temporary economical advantage ... i don't think all these things should be eliminated as a part of micromanagement.
Oil in the centre is a different matter, but - again from my experience - what seems to happen here is that one team get control of the well(s) and the others spend their time popping away trying to wrest control away from it. An open centre, on the other hand, allows for chance encounters of battle groups on their way to rush one base or another. While this provides battle joy, it also disrupts the rush effect that can seriously weaken a game, esp in the early stages.

There is a case for isolated well(s), but I think they should be off-centre and exposed to enemy bases - so that there is a need to defend them. After all, this juggling of the need to defend and the desire to attack is the meat of WZ, and probably the secret of the game's survival.

Again, I am talking about sk here, not mp, tho' open-centre maps seem popular among mp players.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

zydonk thank you very much for help and explanation, now at firs I will try to think about it, and then we will see, I do repeat, the idea seems to be very interesting for me.
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

zydonk wrote: Again, I am talking about sk here, not mp, tho' open-centre maps seem popular among mp players.
And you are wrong here ! While AI dont understand the dynamics, mp players all know that the target in square is to control the middle. Not to rush into a base. Once you control the middle, you can attack at 3vs1 and repeat.

By filling the middle, NoQ force the dominant players to "declare" their positions to neigbors. They expose themself to more frontiers. That's exaclty what we are looking for in FFA. For 3v3, the middle filling prevent the players to control the map on a single turling spot while the paths a close enough to still permit turtling.

That's perfect NoQ !
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

6c-Arid

A 3x3 battle.
Arid.png
Arid.png (41.93 KiB) Viewed 12102 times
6c-Arid.wz
(59.37 KiB) Downloaded 585 times
8c-Arid_s-1-01.wz
(58.26 KiB) Downloaded 576 times
Last edited by NoQ on 13 Feb 2012, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.