Merowingg's Maps

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Verin
Trained
Trained

Re: Merowingg's Maps

Post by Verin »

I love your maps man! just about every server i host the map has Mero in front of the name. Mero NTW is my personal favorite.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Rman Virgil wrote:That is all mostly true under the old paradigm... somewhat anlogous to a Pre- Coppernican PoV when most folks on the planet thought the world was flat & that the universe revolved around our world.

The New Paradigm (not a pun really :) ) was set in motion with the advent of designing maps with NPC Player 7 Scavs. With that the old paradigm is being deconstructed. That inturn makes some MPers uncomfortable & even resistent which is something Thomas Kuhn covered in great detail quite a few decades back in the context of science but it can be applied to any entrenched consensus.
Even in your map, you have 3-5 oil per base, so you still follow my recommendations for in-base oil, which is perhaps the most importart part - the idea that you have to fight to gain a significant amount of oil.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Thank You :)

Post by Merowingg »

Zarel, Rman Virgil, Verin for your posts :)

Zarel now I am confused.. can you please tell me if the oil specifications you gave me are a low oil map or rather let me call it semi oil map ?? I can create such maps but i already have worries about my happiness of creating them and willingless of playing them.. I mean i dont like low oil and those maps repel me.. as i mentioned before.. but maybe for the sake of map art i should create something like that ??

Rman Virgil, I like very much the style of your speeches here :) those are just great but here i am not sure if you are saying that more oil is acceptable ?? am I right ?? I would be glad if you could tell me :)

Verin, I am really happy you use my maps, I am even more happy or even delighted you host them :) thank you :)

Thank you again for posts :) I am really glad about all creativ critics :) and happy responds :)

Bye Gentlemen :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Thank You :)

Post by Zarel »

Merowingg wrote:Zarel now I am confused.. can you please tell me if the oil specifications you gave me are a low oil map or rather let me call it semi oil map ?? I can create such maps but i already have worries about my happiness of creating them and willingless of playing them.. I mean i dont like low oil and those maps repel me.. as i mentioned before.. but maybe for the sake of map art i should create something like that ??
Well, a low oil map would have 3-4 oil resources in base. A high oil map would have at 8 oil resources in base. Any more is just too much. Most oil should be spread across the map (and contested).

I'm looking into having a new "Very High Power" setting that will make oil resources generate twice as much oil as they currently do. I'm hoping that will alleviate concerns, so that people can play their high power styles without having to design maps with so many oil resources in one place, and so that people who enjoy different power levels can play the same maps.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Thank you for information :)

Post by Merowingg »

Now I will know,

But still eight of oil in base is terrible low for me.. I see that i will have to focus now not only on the maps look but also how to spread oil on it more carefully and strategically demanding..

But on few maps i gained the clashes of enemies where i wanted :) they fought for oil, or concentrated in one place while more smart sneaked by the side :)

And i forgot to tell that yes on 250 on 250 maps it is easy to hide one truck or remaining tank, indeed it is, believe me i have noticed it during games on my maps, but i didnt want to make it easy, maybe people will start finaly use the radar turret ??, or patrol function ?? this is war, i want the map although seemingly easy in terrarian to be demanding, such a big map in my personal experience requires cooperation of players, some have to protect bases of allies, when one or two go long way across the map to reach the enemy.. also i want them to use hoovers as fast units which is obvious, but also some parts are even needed to be protected by tracks.. the bigger the area the more difficult to maintain yours and to protect , control, every decision should be made wisely.. i have noticed that people dont know about basic shortcuts, like ctrl a, ctrl h or ctrl t or v, just send all units here there and everywhere.. and i am not saying here that i am good on the game, i have to learn far much more.. i just want people to be tired and satisfied when protecting an area like city or river or very long bridge, to be tired after my game, and not becuse of boring map but becuse of doing what they can to win..

What i want to achieve is also a litle bit new look of maps created by me.. there are still millions of possibilities to create something new..

I relly think deeply of how to set oil this time, and if make it medium oil or stick to my fifteen in base set,

Thank you very much for replies, I am glad and willing to hear a lot of them :)

Bye :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Thank you for information :)

Post by Zarel »

Merowingg wrote:But still eight of oil in base is terrible low for me.. I see that i will have to focus now not only on the maps look but also how to spread oil on it more carefully and strategically demanding..
Like I said, I'm planning on adding an option that can dramatically increase oil production, so you will be able to set it and then play maps as if there were 16 oil in base.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Oilfield map :)

Post by Merowingg »

Hello Gentlemen :)

I was really inspired by all those talks abut oil resources.. on my mind I had the vision of those enormous oilfields with oilderricks looking so majestic..

So I decided to make the Oilfield map :)

The map has overwhealming ammount of forty oil per player, but you start with ten in base, and then you are forced to go to the mentioned oilfield..

Oil resources are located on equal distances from each other but they are far enough from each other to make it hell to protect or to secure.

By placing oil widely spreaded almost on whole map, I wanted to make it more difficult to protect, to go from hand to hand and oilderricks to be destroyed constantly.

I know that oil amount may make you dizzy.. but like I said, inspired by about week time talking about oil, I have came out with the idea of enormous oilfield.. like those real ones..

I do hope it is my last so high oil creation..

I know map is not very much demanding, I do realise.. but this time it is to look great and be even greater fun :)

And when played, you will notice that not so easy in fact :)

Here some screens :) But not showing the exact maps spirit.. you have to check it on your own by playing it :)

http://i32.tinypic.com/fwke2v.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/2q1vvci.jpg
8c-Mero_Oilfield.png
8c-Mero_Oilfield.png (7.16 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
Greetings :)

Have great fun :)
Attachments
8c-Mero_Oilfield.wz
Majestic oilfield :)
(40.45 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
Last edited by Merowingg on 11 Jul 2010, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

Regards - Mero
Boris
Trained
Trained

Post by Boris »

Ok now.
1.I am not tried the map yet, but the figure shows that it is not bad.
2.Add here on the forum always a small picture (top view of map).
3.Dont you think probably it would be better if the maps have less oil and that the more scattered, it is always interesting game, especially when playing against the pc.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Thank You :)

Post by Merowingg »

For your post Boris :)

I am glad you like the look of Oilfield map, but please check the map by gaming to see if you really like it :)

And yes I know already that it is crusial to add as you have called it "top view of the map" :) but i am learning how to use those programs, and edit things, so far i managed to add those pictures taken during tha game :) the top view and links to the map on first post are completelly different story.. I am learning so please give me some time :) the top view of map will appear i promise :)

I completely agree with you that the map should not have, at least all the time, forty of oil, but as you can see before, there was a big talking about the oil, and i came with the idea of "Oilfield" in my mind :) typical oilfield :) and i think it looks good :) although not very sophisticated, I do realise that :) and of course my maps will be more complicated :) Oilfield is just a variation :)

Thanx for your post :)

Regards - Mero
m1ndgames
Trained
Trained

Post by m1ndgames »

40? :o

even 8 is too much for me ...
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

m1ndgames wrote:even 8 is too much for me ...
:o
That is the lowest minimum for me...
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Oil :)

Post by Merowingg »

I see that discusion about the best oil amount goes on :) I am happy :)

Thank you for last two posts :) so contrary :)

I am more and more confused..

But as Oilfields name says, it has the oildfields amount of oil on it :)

Regards - Mero
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

I like high-full oil starts, this allows for your full tactical ability in ways to counter enemy weapons and research. without having to worry about defending that 1 oil derrick.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Hello Verin :)

Post by Merowingg »

Thank you for your post :)

Of course the money :) the oil :) gives great possibility.. and technological advancement and great number of units..

But lowered oil, enforces you to more specific research thinking, or chosing buildings or units more wisely, and of course the game is more demanding then, maybe less spectacular but still :)

But I understand what do you mean :)

Regards - Mero
Boris
Trained
Trained

Post by Boris »

but no, just 12-16 oil all over it is unnecessary.