First Map

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Revolution2
Greenhorn

First Map

Post by Revolution2 »

Hello

I recently was trying to learn about Editworld and decided to create a map
Please keep in mind this is my first map
and it will not be as good as people who have already made a couple :3

xD i didnt know what to name it so i named it after myself ;)

4c-Rev.wz--First i made the original map 4c-Rev which is an open map with good amount of resources
it has enough space so your tanks wont get stuck and you will have to wait until they all
make it out, i know its not the best and still needs work Like the heights :D

8c-Rev2.wz--This is the second map i made which i kinda thought up when i was playing 2.3....i added two player bases on one area so if you want to help your partner build (newbs) then you could..not just watch him and tell him to build factories and generators xD i know the bases are a little cramped but there is space out of that original base
i made this map especially for the improved alliance in 2.3!

Hope you read all that :twisted:

Please tellme what you think

enjoy!

*EDIT* i added the .lnd file so anyone can edit it
theres abviously no license for it :P
Attachments

[The extension lnd has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

8c-Rev2.wz
(26.54 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
4c-Rev.wz
(25.87 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

Re: First Map

Post by Dylan Hsu »

Woulda loved to see some screenshots... good to see you on forums bro
Revolution2
Greenhorn

Post by Revolution2 »

Dylan Hsu wrote:good to see you on forums bro
Thanks man :)

What you think of the map
my first ill try to make more but i have to improve :-S
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

so I tried your map 8 player ver. in a free for all game. It only lasted 15 min, got as far as heavy machine gun and light cannon and that was it.

I'll try next a 2x2x2x2 so the other guy that shows up with me can last more then 5 mins and let you know how that works out. Since that seems to be your idea for this map, and I was like WTF when i first saw the 5 enemy trucks just beside me. Maybe you can arrange the guys a little bit differently for the 8 players map insted of put them all togheter on the same little tiny space they start with, use the sides insted of the corners for example.

I actually didn't even had time to explore the map too much, since it was over really soon, but it was ok.. by the way... its interesting how money does not flashes anymore on the minimap.. heck!!
Revolution2
Greenhorn

Post by Revolution2 »

winsrp wrote:so I tried your map 8 player ver. in a free for all game. It only lasted 15 min, got as far as heavy machine gun and light cannon and that was it.

I'll try next a 2x2x2x2 so the other guy that shows up with me can last more then 5 mins and let you know how that works out. Since that seems to be your idea for this map, and I was like WTF when i first saw the 5 enemy trucks just beside me

Well it was designed for 2.3 alliances patch although it could use a little space so people can build freely
Also, the 8 player version was not made for free for all but if you want free for all go ahead
I just made a cooperative map specifically for human players but since 8 player seems to crash.....i dont know O_O
Last edited by Revolution2 on 08 Dec 2009, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

well I played a 2x2x2x2 map with AIs and it turns out to be rather different than the free for all map I did.

So this time since I couldn't kill my "mate" right away then I had half resources and was forced into going to the middle, but since middles are normally conflicting places to sit on to, since everyone goes into the middle, then I decided to took the sides since there is some money there. Turn out that I seem to be right, the middle place was rather fuzzy and full with excitement when we went about 15 mins into the game.

When starting the map the AI also took a couple of my oil wells since I was busy building the research facility (stupid me for thinking the AI would respect my oil). So maybe putting them a little to the sides could open some space in the middle.

The AI didn't went to the side oil at all (after it took the oil that is) and never used that space for building, it keep going to the front, so maybe you might want to add some ramp that goes to the sides as well so the AI might use that too, since its hard to get 8 non AI players at the same time.

Anyway I was playing on the soft side, and actually took some time to explore the map and the different strategies that could be applied on it, and the conclusion is that is a good map, but has a lot of wasted spaces on the sides and in the center, why dont you make the center a little high mountain with 4 entries instead of a flat space, and maybe add some mountains to the sides of the center, its just so much flat space that never gets used, so at least is should be good to make some defenses as it is now if you want to make anything like a little fortress you need to make a wall that almost goes all across the map, since there are no mountain sides to block anything, its all flat O_o

Its like a 6/10.
praefectus
Trained
Trained

Post by praefectus »

I like the 8pl very much!
Hope to see many more maps from you!
Revolution2
Greenhorn

Post by Revolution2 »

winsrp wrote:well I played a 2x2x2x2 map with AIs and it turns out to be rather different than the free for all map I did.

So this time since I couldn't kill my "mate" right away then I had half resources and was forced into going to the middle, but since middles are normally conflicting places to sit on to, since everyone goes into the middle, then I decided to took the sides since there is some money there. Turn out that I seem to be right, the middle place was rather fuzzy and full with excitement when we went about 15 mins into the game.

When starting the map the AI also took a couple of my oil wells since I was busy building the research facility (stupid me for thinking the AI would respect my oil). So maybe putting them a little to the sides could open some space in the middle.

The AI didn't went to the side oil at all (after it took the oil that is) and never used that space for building, it keep going to the front, so maybe you might want to add some ramp that goes to the sides as well so the AI might use that too, since its hard to get 8 non AI players at the same time.

Anyway I was playing on the soft side, and actually took some time to explore the map and the different strategies that could be applied on it, and the conclusion is that is a good map, but has a lot of wasted spaces on the sides and in the center, why dont you make the center a little high mountain with 4 entries instead of a flat space, and maybe add some mountains to the sides of the center, its just so much flat space that never gets used, so at least is should be good to make some defenses as it is now if you want to make anything like a little fortress you need to make a wall that almost goes all across the map, since there are no mountain sides to block anything, its all flat O_o

Its like a 6/10.
Why are you playing with the AI its no fun, gather some friends and play
I might make Rev2.5 which will have more than flat lands and bigger base seperated from AI so they want steal your oil but since i dont care and play with AI theres a 50/50 chance i well make the Rev2.5 so people can play with AI. :stare:

*EDIT* But seriously people comment and say if you want the 2.5
Oh and dont play with AI in your team :...: xD

If i do make 2.5 it will include:

* More space to build on
* Partner will be on the mountains (to seperate from AI, stealing your oil)
* Advanced bases
* Moutains and bumpy lands

IF YOU WANT ANYTHING ADDED TO 2.5 COMMENT PLEASE AND I WILL THINK ABOUT IT ;)

More comments please :)

Comment on if you want 2.5 if i get enough comments i will make it.
Atleast 5-10 positive comments by the 20th of December and i will start on it :P
javierkaiser
Trained
Trained

Post by javierkaiser »

Go for it.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Revolution2 wrote:Comment on if you want 2.5 if i get enough comments i will make it.
Atleast 5-10 positive comments by the 20th of December and i will start on it :P
And we will get it on 25th. Make it please.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

... you should do it if you feel like it not if people asks, its to help you make better maps at the end, most people don't really care if you make a map or not, you should be the one great full because someone is willing to try it out and let you know. There are tons of great maps why should we play yours. If you make crapy maps then no one will ever play them anyway since your maps are crap. So make a good map and stop asking for people to "convince you" of making a BETTER version of your CRAPPY map.
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

I tested it with the I AI I am currently developing (DyDo) and I have to say I like the map. I tested the map in 8 players game with 4 teams, I was player0 and the DyDo-AI in my team was player1.
The game went ok for around 45 min then I have stopped playing because my inferiority was evident.

I can tell you, from an mod AI developer point of view, what I like and what I do not like of this MAP.

I like the fact there are no bottle necks, too many maps contain bottle necks (to narrow passages, valleys...) and AIs are not able to cope with that. Possibly AI would like just a little more space to build the base.

What I do not like is the fact there are too many oilResources, but this is just my personal opinion, I prefer playing maps with max 8-9 derricks each player.

What about to collaborate a bit to get a MAP (a new one) which can be played well with DyDo-AI?
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Revolution2
Greenhorn

Post by Revolution2 »

winsrp wrote:... you should do it if you feel like it not if people asks, its to help you make better maps at the end, most people don't really care if you make a map or not, you should be the one great full because someone is willing to try it out and let you know. There are tons of great maps why should we play yours. If you make crapy maps then no one will ever play them anyway since your maps are crap. So make a good map and stop asking for people to "convince you" of making a BETTER version of your CRAPPY map.
Seriously Dude stop being such a (expletive deleted by lav_coyote25) not going to make a map noone wants
that's why i ask the people to see if they actually like what they are so far seeing ;)
and looking at the feedback i dont think people consider it a *CRAPPY* map :stare:

Oh and DylanDog ill consider the Oil thing a request :D

maybe put less oil on 2.2.5 xD

People feel free to make a request Please.
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 09 Dec 2009, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please do not use flame to press a point. i edited your post this time, no warning... just suggesting you dont use expletives.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

let me refrase that them... the idea is not crappy since its fun to have a map to play in teams, but by the big amount of money you put in each space and the small amount of space, and not to mention the wasted space on the map, make it a crappy layout.

good idea. So I do like the way you think the basics
crappy layout. I don't like the way to distributed spaces and locations.

So since the idea is good it has lots of potential, you just need to find a way to sort things better, and I'm being totally objective here, I have played over 200 different maps now and the use of space and resources is the most critical factor, since you either use the space to build your base or base addendums on different places or you use the space to add some content/obstructions to the map itself, you in your map you lack both, base space is small even for a 1 player base not to mention 2, and there is not content in the map other than 2 divisions left and right and a couple mountains in the base space, there are not waypoints where interesting things might occur other than everyone try to get the oil in the middle, which I found that that ignoring that and going to kick the other players buts was 100 times more effective since all their units were going there, but for example if I was forced to go to the middle anyway thats story, but there is so much open space that you can even go around a battle and get to the main base right away, there are not even points where a nice defense could be set up since to make a wall you have to split a 1/4 of the map all together.

So... advice here, (removed descriptor - possible flame starter), I'm just trying to help you out be better.
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 10 Dec 2009, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please do not use flame to press a point. i edited your post this time, no warning... just suggesting you dont use flame like descriptors.
Revolution2
Greenhorn

Post by Revolution2 »

winsrp wrote:let me refrase that them... the idea is not crappy since its fun to have a map to play in teams, but by the big amount of money you put in each space and the small amount of space, and not to mention the wasted space on the map, make it a crappy layout.

good idea. So I do like the way you think the basics
crappy layout. I don't like the way to distributed spaces and locations.

So since the idea is good it has lots of potential, you just need to find a way to sort things better, and I'm being totally objective here, I have played over 200 different maps now and the use of space and resources is the most critical factor, since you either use the space to build your base or base addendums on different places or you use the space to add some content/obstructions to the map itself, you in your map you lack both, base space is small even for a 1 player base not to mention 2, and there is not content in the map other than 2 divisions left and right and a couple mountains in the base space, there are not waypoints where interesting things might occur other than everyone try to get the oil in the middle, which I found that that ignoring that and going to kick the other players buts was 100 times more effective since all their units were going there, but for example if I was forced to go to the middle anyway thats story, but there is so much open space that you can even go around a battle and get to the main base right away, there are not even points where a nice defense could be set up since to make a wall you have to split a 1/4 of the map all together.

So... advice here, (removed descriptor - possible flame starter), I'm just trying to help you out be better.
Look, im not going to argue with you and use curse words because i dont want to stress lav_coyote25 out (who is apparently removing all foul language) but look just get out of here ok, it seems you were the only one who put a comment saying you have a problem with it, i know theres not enough space maybe if you werent lazy and actually read the whole thing about Rev2.5 you wouldnt be saying there wont be enough space if you want more space on the map WAIT until Rev2.5 if you want, if not GET LOST and play in whatever map you want so seriously i dont care about your opinion or your opinion ok. get a life and some friends because you surely didnt make one now. :stare: