Mortars / Howitzers

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Olrox
Art contributor

Mortars / Howitzers

Post by Olrox »

(Hi everybody)
I've been requested to make incendiary versions of Bombard, Pepperpot, Ground Shaker and Hellstorm.
But I've got this (sometimes bad) habit of remaking things intregally, not partially. That's why I'm remaking the entire mortar and howitzer families, and adding that would represent:
  • Mortar
    Bombard
    Pepperpot
    Incendiary Mortar
    Incendiary Bombard
    Incendiary Pepperpot
    Howitzer
    Ground Shaker
    Hellstorm
    Incendiary Howitzer
    Incendiary Ground Shaker
    Incendiary Hellstorm
I'm creating this topic to hear what you think about them, and get useful tips on how could I improve them. Everybody is welcome to comment - as long as it isn't about the balancing of having the 4 new weapons or about anything like ideas for new weapons. In this last case, if someone wishes models for specific weapons, you should know that I welcome requests in the form of PMs.
But to optimize the development of ideas, I beg that this topic is kept straightly about these models, in the artistic interpretation of them.

I've made the howitzers models today, and the incendiary versions of the mortar family as well, but I won't post it all already so that the discussion about the models doesn't get too messed up.To begin the topic, I'll post the howitzers.
Olrox
Art contributor

Re: Mortars / Howitzers

Post by Olrox »

Here are the howitzers models.
They aren't textured nor mapped yet - it's the last thing I'll do so that I don't loose too much time redoing work.
There are going to be a few additional teamcolored parts on the texture, so please don't be too fussy about it, I've made those blue parts for you to have a better Idea of how it would look in the final stage.
What about it?
Attachments
The Howitzer family.
The Howitzer family.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Um... I don't think there should be incendiary versions of all the mortars and howitzers. One incendiary mortar and one incendiary howitzer is enough. For balance reasons, we can't have more, and even if we could, it's too much unnecessary complexity.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Zarel wrote:Um... I don't think there should be incendiary versions of all the mortars and howitzers. One incendiary mortar and one incendiary howitzer is enough. For balance reasons, we can't have more, and even if we could, it's too much unnecessary complexity.
Olrox wrote:I'm creating this topic to hear what you think about them, and get useful tips on how could I improve them. Everybody is welcome to comment - as long as it isn't about the balancing of having the 4 new weapons or about anything like ideas for new weapons. In this last case, if someone wishes models for specific weapons, you should know that I welcome requests in the form of PMs.
But to optimize the development of ideas,
I beg that this topic is kept straightly about these models, in the artistic interpretation of them.
It has been requested and I'm making them only because it's been requested.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Sorry, didn't see that.

But c'mon, you have an Art Revolution to do. Why not work on someting that'll be seen in-game by everyone? :/
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Zarel wrote: But c'mon, you have an Art Revolution to do. Why not work on someting that'll be seen in-game by everyone? :/
Yep, that's top priority - I've done those models only because I had a sudden inspiration :P
(arr, those new smilies look awfully strange to me :stressed: They are undeniably blurry :( )

I'll leave this here and keep waiting for additional opinions, or until I have further inspiration.
I'd better make a list of my projects to keep track of them also, I hate the idea of leaving topics behind and I really hope I can revive my New Structure Models as soon as I have the time :)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

On the art aspect: Hexagons for howie barrels seem somewhat excessive. They should be pentagons at most... You know, they're triangles currently. They also seem a bit thick - they don't give enough of a "howitzer" feel right now. As for the incendiary ones, I dunno if that gives the right effect. Play around with ideas on that a bit more.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

They look good, but those additional barrels over incendiary versions aren't good.
Try using barrel composition like this:

| | |
-------------------------
| | |

Like more ribbed.
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

Zarel wrote:Um... I don't think there should be incendiary versions of all the mortars and howitzers. One incendiary mortar and one incendiary howitzer is enough. For balance reasons, we can't have more, and even if we could, it's too much unnecessary complexity.
Just to let you know that I agree with Zarel too. ;-)
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

DylanDog wrote:
Just to let you know that I agree with Zarel too. ;-)
Olrox wrote:
Olrox wrote:I'm creating this topic to hear what you think about them, and get useful tips on how could I improve them. Everybody is welcome to comment - as long as it isn't about the balancing of having the 4 new weapons or about anything like ideas for new weapons. In this last case, if someone wishes models for specific weapons, you should know that I welcome requests in the form of PMs.
But to optimize the development of ideas,
I beg that this topic is kept straightly about these models, in the artistic interpretation of them.
It has been requested and I'm making them only because it's been requested.
"Just to let you know that" I don't really care, sorry - I've made those because I had the inspiration. I'm not modding the game, just making models for someone who wants to model. It's up to this modder to keep balance or not. I don't care, as long as the models are satisfying, I'm happy.

I'm afraid that I have yet again to beg for my words to be taken seriously. And I don't like it, it is annoying and usually keep me away from making anything productive.
Rade
Greenhorn

Post by Rade »

Not bad so far, here's few suggestions what you could do to improve those models.
For the howitzers I think you should add the muzzle brake at the end of the barrel, the barrel should be thicker at the beginning than at the end and also I think it should be slightly longer (just for comparison barrels on the modern howitzers are about 8m long). Depending on how detailed you want make these models you could also add some sort of hydraulic brakes on the sides or on the top of the barrel, and for the Hellstorm and the Pepperpot you know how on those gattling guns they have some sort of the rings that keep all of the barrels together maybe you could try adding something similar.
And to better illustrate what I'm suggesting here is few renders of the model of the NORA B52 howitzer which I've made about year ago. I'm aware that this model is allot more detailed than those used in wz but I'm sure it will give you some ideas how to improve the models.
Image Image
javierkaiser
Trained
Trained

Post by javierkaiser »

Nice models you have there orlox.
I just think that the Ground Shaker model should look a bit more heavier than the normal version. Just a thought.
Arcalane
Trained
Trained

Post by Arcalane »

Not bad, but echoing what javier said. Following the tech descriptions, the normal howitzer is 105mm, whilst the Groundshaker is 155mm, and it is the heavier version, so they'd both look better with larger barrels, rather than just longer.

The main body of the Hellstorm could do with being a bit less boxy, and maybe have a kind of drum/circular bit connecting the box and the barrels, as well as a central column or supports that anchor the barrels together for structural purposes. The Incendiary Hellstorm (Firestorm? ;)) looks good though, I like the way it's kinda stubbier. Makes it look more dangerous for some reason.

Perhaps the incendiary ones should have some special orange-striped containers on the back of the barrel or such? A bit like flamer tanks, but without pipes and valves. I know it doesn't make any sense, but it'd help differentiate them a bit more.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

It would make sense only if the shells are assembled inside the turret, before firing, and that system doesn't make sense itself, as it is a turret (small internal space, rotational movement issues etc.). But I'll get onto it as soon as I get some confirmation on wether it's going to be used or not (the incendiary ones, the normal ones will be developed anyway).

Thank you all for the comments until now - they are all going to be considered on further versions!
Arcalane
Trained
Trained

Post by Arcalane »

Like I said, it doesn't necessarily need to make sense, it's to better communicate the fact that the weapon has nonstandard effects; that is to say, the shots do more than just explode when they hit something. :)