map - rolling hills - do over - with a bit of a ... do over.

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

map - rolling hills - do over - with a bit of a ... do over.

Post by lav_coyote25 »

rollhills2007 - 250 by 250 - 4 players - still working on the textures.

needs to be played by multiplayers - pathing ect.  needs a good workout...

feedback would be nice. ;D
Attachments
rollhills2007.jpg
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 19 Jan 2007, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: map - rolling hills - do over - with a bit of a ... do over.

Post by DevUrandom »

BTW: Fun maps, like kill the king or whatever we'll name it would be cool. :)
Like in the version you created: One player got an biiig army and the others need to work together to kill his king.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

play as one of the others... see if it is what your liking... ;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

*g*
Has to be balanced, of course...
Lixtan
Trained
Trained

Post by Lixtan »

I suppose it's not entirely relevent to the primary topic, but:

Games like that would essentially be online campaign, counteroperative. ;p

If we made a series of maps like that, with extensive scripts, custom video sequences (For briefing, and such), we could actually have functioning counteroperative campaigns.

For example, you'd have the one team playing the big faction with the pre-established base, and such, and they'd receive orders from their parent faction (Much like how NEXUS ordered the New Paradigm and the Collective around, or even how the New Paradigm ordered the Scavengers.), to defend the base, destroy the enemy, prevent artifacts from being taken, etc.

On the other end, you'd have the one or more other players, receiving orders from their own command, to counteract the efforts of the other guy.

Of course, we'd need humongous maps, or some way to keep the big guy from rushing the other factions early, and destroying them before they could make a base.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

* At this stage it definitely has a campaign feel...... & like Dev said it would also make for a good "King of the Hill" style MP map.

* Is that a moded Urban tertile set ?

* .... And the Gateing..... the North East-West Quadrants.... definitely look at them again...... there is a cluster ridge trap happening to trucks coming from the north traveling South E & W.... AND for trucks trying to go NE or NW from the South.... they stall.... give-up... run outta gas....  i would guess the same gateing Matrix in all instances....

* Like where your going with this Lav.:)

Cheers, rv :D

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

* At this stage it definitely has a campaign feel...... & like Dev said it would also make for a good "King of the Hill" style MP map.
* Is that a moded Urban tertile set ?

is the tile set  tertilesc2.png and tertilesc2hw.png from silentrage (grimandmandy and silentrage were working on the tilesets - tertilesc3 and c3hw still need to be updated - unsure of who if anyone would be able to do this... :()

* .... And the Gateing..... the North East-West Quadrants.... definitely look at them again...... there is a cluster ridge trap happening to trucks coming from the north traveling South E & W.... AND for trucks trying to go NE or NW from the South.... they stall.... give-up... run outta gas....  i would guess the same gateing Matrix in all instances....

you have or would you be able to provide screenshots of that - when your able to...?  and what amount of time had passed when you noticed this?

* Like where your going with this Lav.:)
Cheers, rv :D

thanks
:)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

lav_coyote25 wrote:
is the tile set  tertilesc2.png and tertilesc2hw.png from silentrage (grimandmandy and silentrage were working on the tilesets - tertilesc3 and c3hw still need to be updated - unsure of who if anyone would be able to do this... :()

you have or would you be able to provide screenshots of that - when your able to...?  and what amount of time had passed when you noticed this?

thanks
:)
* Srry Lav... wasn't thinking.... trying to find that area on a 250 x 250 map with serpentine ridges is like looking for a needle in a hay-stack..

* Before I turn-in for the night I'll do some pin-pointing captures with the radar Map, etc. so you can zone-in with the 32EW .LND.

* Dang nab it.... I KNEW those RM tertiles were lacking compared to the Arizona & Urban.... even though they were .pngs they had the look of .PCX !!!

* Ah..man... I'm down to useing only 5 Tiles outta the whole set for "Trinity".... hmmm.....

* I bet I know how Grim & SR achieved the beautifull dimensionality of their tertiles 1 & 2 .PNGS - they built each tile in multiple layers which they fused-baked together at the end.

* Hmmm.... cept for the snow tiles in the RM set you can cobble the rest from the other 2 sets - cliff face, sand, water... course you'd have to change in the global mod .wz & then re-distro them...

*....... there I go gettin distracted....

* In answer to your "Time in-game question" - less than 10 minutes I'm sure..... it's the initial mass exodus of trucks scouting for oil.

* Hmmm.... go in debug... split your trucks into 4 command groups (1
2,3, 4) send half of them to the heart of the NW base & the other half to the NE Base...... up the game speed, call up each command group # and then hit the space-bar.... You might find before I get screen caps done & posted......

l8rs, rv :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

just curious what the 'campaign mode' does in mp except adding some neutral 'baba' stuff to the map?
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

--------------------------

-----------Just EDITED.... replaced the caps.... thought the 1st ones were too dark.

Lav_coyote -----Truck GW / Pathing Cluster Stalls on Rolling Hills: My Trucks, to the left, run out of gas before reaching thier assigned destination..... The ridge trapped Trucks are A.I. controlled & scouting for oil...... same area, less than 5 minutes in-game.

--------------------------------------------------

Watermelon wrote: just curious what the 'campaign mode' does in mp except adding some neutral 'baba' stuff to the map?

* Both "Features and Baba" can be assigned to Players in 32EW.... However ONLY "Features" are neutral from a conflict PoV (though not from "Fog of War").... "Baba", on the other hand are NOT neutral..... I'm useing these characteristics in my Trinity Project.

l8rs, rv :)
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 19 Jan 2007, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

ok - have possibly made the corrections...  as for the trucks huddled together - i have made more than one comment about that over the years....  that is the same dog butt sniffing behavior that has been seen over the last 5 years at least.  they follow one another and get themselves stuck and then start arguing /sniffing each other for dominance. ( yeah i know... ::) )  anyways... here is the updated map...

NOTE: on 250 by 250 maps - i have noted that if you send trucks / ground units too far on the initial click - they will NOT go the whole distance.  they stop.  and the only way to get them to move again is to micromanage them a little... >:(  not sure why but thats also been observed over the years by others.

i wish we had access to the n.e.w.s.t forum backup that was made... - there was a wealth of info there about what might get done if.... ;D  oh well.
Attachments
updated rollhills2007.rar
(116.17 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

sorry i forgot the other point you made about searching for oil - dunno why - there was plenty to be had in their own section.... 20 wells per player.  havent added other / more wells yet... not sure what i am going to do... that senario you guys put forward .. sounded good. ;D
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

lav_coyote25 wrote: ok - have possibly made the corrections...  as for the trucks huddled together - i have made more than one comment about that over the years....  that is the same dog butt sniffing behavior that has been seen over the last 5 years at least.  they follow one another and get themselves stuck and then start arguing /sniffing each other for dominance. ( yeah i know... ::) )  anyways... here is the updated map...

NOTE: on 250 by 250 maps - i have noted that if you send trucks / ground units too far on the initial click - they will NOT go the whole distance.  they stop.  and the only way to get them to move again is to micromanage them a little... >:(  not sure why but thats also been observed over the years by others.

i wish we had access to the n.e.w.s.t forum backup that was made... - there was a wealth of info there about what might get done if.... ;D  oh well.
* I only worked with 250 x 250 maps for the M-CAM ... for, well, years & this was a basic pathing test I used.

* There are work-arounds to these issues - I guess they are not documented.

* The huddling - you can usually solve by ramping where it occurs.

* The running outta gas - you build player-assigned ground "Attractors" to facilitate the pathing and you do it by 3 radiating vectors from each players base to the furthest region (in 3 directions). The vector-attractors are made out of player-assigned features - meaning ID-ed to the specific player when placed in 32 EW.

* I'll check-out your modified ver after Nemo land & breakfast. :)

------------

* I have archives of all my fav stuff from the NEWST bbs - I even consolidated it all into a 200 pg doc (approx).... But it is reflective of my own editing choices and as such not complete. L-Apoc floated thru RTS.net  a few months after the source was released and said he had complete back-ups of those bbs if anyone was interested. I didn't ask for a copy for number reasons... maybe Cowboy or somebody else did... I dunno.

l8r, rv :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

lav_coyote25 wrote: sorry i forgot the other point you made about searching for oil - dunno why - there was plenty to be had in their own section.... 20 wells per player.  havent added other / more wells yet... not sure what i am going to do... that senario you guys put forward .. sounded good. ;D
* Yes.... That is a flaw in the start of game A.I. scripting and it's related to another flaw I've detected in working on "Trinity".

* The A.I. Trucks will NOT cap all the in-base wells before scouting.....PLUS, and this can be fatal.... ALL trucks will leave base to scout for Oil BEFORE building a Tech 1 Factory..... so.. If you kill all the scouts at the very begining.... that's it.... no factory.... there done for...

* This needs scriptomatic attention... I'm sure the MASTER of a.i. can fix for the next release.

l8r, rv :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Obaum
Greenhorn

Post by Obaum »

:D My vtols go to space? and flying slow  :-\
Attachments
wz2100_shot_023.jpg